Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cool car that led to disappointment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Oct 8, 2018.

1. It's a Hot Rod, it is not supposed to be comfortable.:p

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

My seats are from a 96-00 Chrysler minivan.

I used these because on the Tudor you need access to the rear seat and on the 96 and up vans the seats fold forward and flat allowing access to the rear seat.

It will also adjust rearward to almost flat, nice for a nap or recline for a better seating position.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. The very reason that I sold my '29 and it had a stock body. At 70 it just wasn't fun any longer! StrayKat 500 2018 (2).jpg

4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 5' 7" and I had my heart broken when I climbed in my first Model A, I thought that they were the coolest looking cars on the road (still do) but there was just no room in it; I still don't know how they managed three pedals stuffed that close together and my left arm shoved up against the door.
    I started out in big old '60's cars and I guess that spoiled me.

5. A friend let me try out his Willys coupe. Wow, cramped! Not that I wouldn't want one, but it's also hard to see out of the side windows.

6. There is a fix for that...those stick on mirrors work great...on my coupe when I lose them out my back window, they appear in my stick on mirror...on either side according to the lane I am in. You got to be good sized if the coupe is cramped. I had a pickup at one time and it was cramped, and my 36 sedan is cramped. Yes there are blind spots in my coupe, but I wouldn't say it is cramped. The mirrors have eliminated the blind spots.
    g-willys

7. A warning to anyone wanting a chopped model A. I've had mine for about 40 years. It's cramped, It leaks water everywhere. Smoke comes through the floor. No interior,( just a pillow on the floor. It rattles,and shakes. No radio, I couldn't here it anyway! After an hour in it, I have to crawl out! No one will even ride it it with me. I do a burn out and my eyes burn and I cough from all the smoke. I've ripped my clothes, and I can't see out of the dang thing! All I can say is I LOVE THAT LITTLE COUPE !!!!! 20181114_171328.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

62rebel, bct, chevy57dude and 17 others like this.
  8. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

Nice

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  9. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Your hoped for ride was a disappointment from lack of knowledge. Mine was from being dumb. I just HAD to channel till the frame was hidden and then the thinnest Glide seat won't let my head clear the top and my legs run uphill to the pedals. I know the 4 cam Marauder engine is not H.A.M.B friendly but we're talking head/foot clearance.
    34 chev. cpe Oct 09 003.jpg

10. I remember seeing the coupe in ether Columbus or Louisville years ago, I always liked that car, it's a hot rod! HRP

Ron Funkhouser and Zettle Bros. like this.
  11. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Well after a long winter, hopefully that is over, I think I found another car. Problem is now I have to get rid of a ride to get a ride. Also another long road trip to see if it is what it's all cracked up to be. Selling or maybe part trading the truck for the car.
    . 21232096_332788547171550_8582876969430670229_n.jpg 00y0y_7hhX262cSzB_600x450.jpg

I've owned the truck since brand new, only has 18,632 mile and never hauled anything in the bed.

Ron Funkhouser, loudbang and Tim like this.
  12. RDR

RDR

Good Luck on your search...
    I have always wondered WHY us 6' + guys always LOVE those Chopped Channeled cars ??
    I ain't 17 anymore and this things gotta go away !

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  13. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

WOW!!!!

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

If a car is not a comfortable driver, I don't want it. No sense beating your brains out on a road trip.

15. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

A model A is a Model A. The doors are too small. Period. There are guys who have had one (many) forever. And SWEAR they love 'em!!! No matter how you cut it, you either stuff your self in and suffer or you stuff your self in and make it work. 2dr sedans work well, once your in and the seating and Chopped top issues have been adressed. Coupes and roadsters, you have to be creative. Package trays are the starting point. I've seen a few roadsters where the panel between the seat and the deck lid was shortened to get that few inches more and even played with the firewall/floor angels. I've seen stretched bodies, and certainly extended doors and doors reversed to make "suicide" doors, some help, some don't. Model A's are available and acheiveable. But unless your 20/30/40 years old, it aint neccesarily easy to look cool, and BE cool, much less comfortable. Bill Rinaldi

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Holy shit! That thing is awesome

17. 065.jpg 1249.jpg Gman I'll have to agree with you. If your only gonna have one Hot Rod and, you enjoy taking road trips. {Which I do !} Then you need a 50's sedan or wagon. But if your wanting { FUN !} Than you can't beat the light weight of an early Ford with a Big mill. So it's really all about what your need is. All I can say is, there's nothing more FUN than a model A!!! ;)

18. X-cpe

X-cpe

When it comes to modifying cars I tell my students to err on the conservative side for their DD's. For a Saturday night special, do what you want because you can put up with just about anything for an hour or two. Although, as I am getting older that hour or two is steadily moving towards zero.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Exactly my sentiments and belief. My '31"A"Hiboy is loud, over cammed and carbed for street use, is quite tight for room, especially for my 6'3" 220# 81 year old body with size 14 shoes and manual shift. It rides sorta rough if the road isn't almost perfectly smooth, and more than a couple hundred miles in a day is totally exhausting, no top means you get wet if it rains. No,it's not a practical car at all:eek:.
    But with a weight of about 2250#, an estimated 400hp with a 4 speed and a 3.70:1 locker 9" rear, it will bring a grin to your face with just a touch of the throttle:):cool:
    My '40 Ford coupe is much milder, smoother, and far more comfortable on long road trips, still fairly quick, and with a T5 and 3.70 8.8" limited slip will cruise the Interstates just as fast as you're willing to chance a ticket for that speed:):cool:
    Daily driver and truck are both way OT, with all; the bells and whistles of today, and are new enough to find parts easily, including body panels for when you get crunched by one of the crazy drivers on the Xways around Atlanta.

Ron Funkhouser and Zettle Bros. like this.
  20. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Well, I might just pass this one up. Wanted a few more pics and the guys says no, I don't have anymore you'll just have to stop by and see it. I said "I'm about 5 hours away". "Yeah, you'll have to stop by and see it". I think I'm done looking for cars for awhile.

21. ^^^that guy must not be in a hurry to sell that car...

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  22. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Been on Craigslist now for 21 days and counting.