Register now to get rid of these ads!

Conway High auto body class....HAMB style!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drdave, Feb 20, 2008.

1. So several of us HAMB types are sitting at our monthly breakfast and discussing our projects and Kevin (Toadfrog on the HAMB) says if I wanted my fleetline primed all one color, the kids in the high school auto body class could use a little gun practice before doing real paint (Kevin is an instructor there). I figure, cool, I don't have much time at the moment and at least it will be all one color and since it will all be stripped down someday for bodywork, let 'em shoot it.

I get the car down there yesterday with most of the chrome off to make it easy (and because most of it will be shaved anyhow) and several spots ground down to metal to remove previous not-so-good-alot bodywork. Kevin asks me what chrome is going back on and he could have them fill the holes. Then he sees some dents, like the rear panel below the trunk and tells me they can get those all squared away, too. Cool, says me, they can't do any worse than I would do, have at it! :D He says he will return it reasonably straight and all one color....I just pay for materials. BONUS!

Call Kevin at lunch today about a few things and he tells me the kids are all over it. They have most of the trim holes filled, the trunk and door handles shaved and are making serious progress on the dents. Stopped by for a few pics on my way back from lunch. This is the way shop class should be!! :D

Attached Files:

2. llonning

llonning

I wished I could luck out like that!!!!

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Good on you Dave, and Kevin too. Have I met Kevin?

It's good to see kids working on something besides how to better their XBox skills.

You gonna be in Dewey this year?

4. Bilko-1949

Bilko-1949
    1. GMB

Nice score on the free labor! It's good to see kids out and doing something they enjoy. While learning a skill they will be able to use the rest of their life. Now if I could just find someone to teach me some of this stuff. So is the color choice for now going to be grey, red, or black :) Looking good Dave keep the wheel rolling.

5. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Very cool! I teach high school auto shop also, but we don't have a body repair class. My students have, however, worked on a good number of hot rod and custom car projects (mine as well as my sons' and friends.) I love getting them off the rice-burner scene. Can't win them all, but I've managed to convert a few. Of course, there are always a few that have had the American muscle influence from their folks, and that's fun.
    We're currently building a 50 Chevy coupe into a high school drag car. It will have a 496 big block Chevy/TH400 and 9" Ford rear end. It will be capable of high 10's, but has to be limited to 12.00 for the high school class. We will also be campaigning the 69 Camaro we ran last year, but it is a much slower car. I plan to put a young lady in that car for the series. We also are being loaned a 10 second 72 Plymouth Satellite for the series, so we should have 3 kids driving this year at Fomosa in Bakersfield.
    We also are working on my 53 Studebaker, my son's 51 Merc convertible, and my other son's 56 Chrysler Winsor (custom.) So our shop looks a lot like it's out of the 50's or 60's.
    Of course, I can't exclude the ricers, but I sure can give them a bad time. And of course, they return the favor.
    All the way around, it's good fun for the majority. Unfortunately, there is a strong possibility that the program won't be there next year, thanks to an unsuppotrive administration (which is UCLA minded) and Uncle Arnie (Swarzenegger) cutting the school budget by 41 billion dollars this year. It truly sucks. db

6. thats fantastic man ..

7. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Sorry to see another program that may be closed. We need a connection in business and industry or some body with a lot of pull to persuade our legislators to help keep these programs open. These classes have a lot of student that need this type of program. Without these programs a lot of student would quit school so teach now or suport later. We have many talented student that just need the chance.

8. cmichael

cmichael

That really sucks to hear about all the programs geting shut down. I had a really awsome shop teacher when I was in school he taught me a ton well I shouldn't say taught he still comes by my shop if I have something kicking my ass. He retired the year I graduated and they hired so new guy that got the program shut down in a year. Yall really are creating a chance for a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise have one. Shop class was the only reason I went to school.

9. JamesG

JamesG

MAN, thats really cool Kev! You know, the Burb is in bare metal. That would give those kids a Ton-O-Fun to play with.............................

Guess maybe I should start making some of those breakafast's....

Looks like Dave's going to have a bitchin High School Hot Rod!

10. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i think that is awesome that the kids can work on the hot rods and customs! this is how we can pass the torch and the kids get a kick out of working on them too. i think its horrible that they are wanting to cut some of the programs out there. here in tennessee they are cutting the arts out of schools music and some of the sports. myself being an art major i find that appalling that they would rather spend it on revitalization of the down town areas and sports arenas/ pro teams than to help our kids education out. either way it makes me feel good when i see kids wanting to learn and broaden their minds and thanks to guys like you that teach them, i salute you!!!

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Kevin hasn't been to Dewey yet. drdave and I are working on him and stillkruzn because they both belong at the SK500.

My son was in the body shop class before Kevin became the instructor and learned nothing. When Kev showed up, and actually began by having the kids clean the shop top to bottom, and then actually sit in class for some book learnin' before doing some real body work, they whined, "This isn't how Mr. So and So did it," to which Kevin replied, "I ain't Mr So and So." Kev (toadfrog) is one enthusiastic gearhead who knows one speed: wide open. Those students are blessed to have him as their instructor.

12. plmczy

plmczy

It seems like they are trying to do away with all the vocational programs in the schools and are cocentrating alot on computers and such. It seems like they want all industries to move overseas and to control things with computers here. Kids are not going to
    know how to build things, be able to work with their hands. It's sad. Keep up the good work and fight for those programs. later shawn

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I taught Vocational auto mechanics from 1978 until 1991. the two previous Teachers were both my teachers.

The problem that vocational shop classes have is that they aren't the cash cow that they were 30 years ago. I agree that the current mindset is that everyone has to go on to a 4 year school and get the big diploma. Very little emphesis is put on the trades or technical skills.
    It looks like kevin has a great class going where the kids can go out and apply what they have learned in the class room.

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Good to see kids eagerly wanting to learn something and having fun too.

world's greatest formula:
    reduce taxes + decrease spending on education + increase spending on military = brighter future for all of us

it is better to be dumb and safe vs. wise enough to not have the problem in the first place

15. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

you hit the nail on the head!!!!

16. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I always have a few kids who wouldn't even stay in school if it were not for auto or wood shop. I guess we will loose those when they shut it down.
    I didn't have auto when I was in school, and I, like many others dropped out.
    Ha! Only in America can you drop out of high school and wind up teaching high school. It took me a long time to get there though.

17. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

Shop teachers are the unsung heros of the blue collar folks of the world. Hats off to you guys! Looks like those kids were really enjoying the work on that old Chevy. In our shop class I remember watching some of the kids trowel mud onto a history teachers Volvo wagon almost weekly, so a hotrod would have been a welcome change.

The lack of money for these programs today really stinks. I have seen alot of equipment bought cheap when the schools close the vocational programs. Not everyone wants a desk job.

18. Ramblur

Ramblur

So cool. Its where it all begins and so important too. Here I am
    about 34 yrs. ago (next to the teacher). Jr High mechanics club.
    Teacher ran this after school two days a week and most Sat
    mornings. Started with us building models in 7th grade and we
    moved up to the Olds for 8th. The Olds was destroyed in a Dairy
    Queen parking lot by a 68 Chevelle in high school. Located a donor
    car and were back on the streets the next spring. Here it is now
    still wearing our 30 yr. old ametuer bodywork and paint:p. HATE
    to hear that others may not have the chance.:(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I will second what arkiehotrods said... the class is going to be doing a little work on my '31 A also... Keep up the good work Kevin...

20. very cool. Im actually in the process of taking over my old high school auto body shop. Im currently taking I-CAR classes which needs to be done to teach auto shop.

21. I'm with you guys....our schools need these programs. Every kid has their talents and interests and not all of them are for desk jobs. Our country was built by hands on guys and we still need them.....but for some stupid reason we think we need to send those jobs overseas. I'm thrilled to see guys like Kevin giving kids skills they can use....and have fun doing it!

Hey George! :) Yeah, like Duncan said, we'll be in Dewey this year....already have our rooms. I was gonna bring the Chevy, but I'm still trying to get it sorted out just to make it around town....I prayed all the way to the school that the thing would make it. I'm lucky someone didn't post pictures of our last breakfast get-together when it had to be towed home. ;) So, we'll just tool around Dewey in Duncan's Nomad. Look forward to seeing you again!

Hey Mike, how you doing? Things going well over there? I've been thinking about you guys! Well, the color for now is just plain ol', everyone is doing it, blitz black. Ultimately the car is gonna be gloss black with copper scallops, but that is a long way down the road. I told a friend the same thing the other day and he said, "Where have I heard this before? Oh, yeah, your convertible that's in the same primer it was 20 years ago." LOL. I'm just happy to have it all one color, which was my only goal and then Kevin offered up the bonus bodywork. Now I gotto go get me some solenoids so I don't have to reach through the window to open the door. ;)

22. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Man, those kids look young. I don't know of any programs like that for Jr. High kids, although it would be great to have a feeder school for our program. It might give it a better chance for survival.
    There are 8 high schools in our district, not counting the continuation schools. 5 of them have auto shop, plus one of the continuation schools has a small auto program (with a 12 second Nova, to boot.) I think most of the programs will survive, which is good. It's still a shame to loose any of them.
    The reason my program will likely end is because I'm moving to another city 3 hours away, so it would be a bit of a commute. I'm hoping to take over another auto program there. At least there are some kids here that will have a shot at a head start the industry, even though the other programs (for the most part) don't do the hot rod thing. db

23. I meant to say something in my earlier post about how cool that Olds is Ramblur! Do you have it now? Man, that thing needs back on the road!!

24. Bilko-1949

Bilko-1949
    1. GMB

Dave everything is going ok here! Just spending allot of my time snow blowing and waiting for the weather to break so I can get back on the car. Also been working ot for money for the car and some to put toward the procedure in July.

25. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Do you know how many students in the picture are involved in the automotive field ?

26. Ramblur

Ramblur

First I'm amazed we're still alive. Except for our teacher who has
    passed. Our paths lead us in different directions but all would agree
    that "Moon Man" Murray our jr high science teacher and mentor
    was a great inspiration to us at a critical juncture in our lives. Of the
    10 we have

1. Head of tech dept. for a huge jeep parts company/formerly
    paint and bodyman for a heavy truck dealer.

2. Retired military/now a postman

3. Draftsman,semi-retired,freelances for a bunch of extrusion co.'s

4. Farmer,which means he does pretty much everthing.

5. Owns a bodyshop and towing Co.

6. Union carpenter,avid off-roader

7.Still doin paint and bodywork.

8. Heavy equipment operator,gearhead

9. Tool&diemaker,machinist. Owner of the 57 Olds all this time.

10. That would be me,and I've been all over the road eventually
    A&P aircraft mechanic. Now built and run a RV park in Fl. The only
    one of the bunch that's not still in Ohio.

So yes,in one way or another we've all kept our hands in it and
    have been successful in our chosen fields.

The Olds hasn't been out in a couple yrs. now but not really lacking
    much to hit the streets.

The axle out of the original pink over black Olds has lived under
    my 57 Chevy sedan delivery for many yrs now,albiet with 4.56
    gears and a posi.

[​IMG]

27. I can never get Toadfrog to answer my calls... he knows I have a Rambler that needs a shave and primer.... LOL..

28. Hey J-man! Good to hear from you. We been missing you at our breakfasts. How's it been going? You here or overseas?

29. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Hey Ramblur, is the guy that still has the Olds on the HAMB? Just curious.

30. Ramblur

Ramblur

No he's not ,but doesn't have a good excuse. I talk to him every
    couple months or so. He has been getting a "T" speedster gone
    through and back in operation so I guess its about time for me to
    give him a ring and rag on him some more...:rolleyes: