Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting to single wire alternator - no regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nail-head, Feb 19, 2007.

1. nail-head

nail-head

Anybody done this on a '63 Riviera?

I want to simplify and do away with the voltage regulator and run with a single wire alternator, but I'm not sure how to wire it or what alternator will work with my original bracket.

The car has the original 401.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Not sure which alternator will match your bracket but the hook up is simple. You can run a #10 wire directly to the battery or the battery terminal on the regulator. Disconnect the other regulator wires and tape the ends.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

If you use a one wire alt. you will have the problems of having to rev it up some to get the alt to kick on and the idiot light wont work. I would rather use a 3 wire alternator.
    Find out which wire comes from the idiot light and hooks to the regulator. If im not mistaken its a 16 ga brown one. IF the gen light lights up with you ground it its the right one. If it shorts out and catches your car on fire and burns it to the gound you got the wrong one! Or used a test light to find it.
    Clip the aligator clip on the test light to ground and probe the other wires on the regulator after disconnnecting them all. When you find the right wire the Gen light will light up and so will the test light.
    Hook this wire up to the #1 alt terminal by splicing it to the small wire in the harness that went to the original generator.
    Run a jumper from the #2 ALT terminal to the charging lug on the alt.
    Tie all ot the other wires that were on the original regulator together.
    You can do it right there at the regulator and use it for a terminal block.

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

i usually run 3 wire alternators too, minus the idiot light, but i do the jumper from #2 terminal, and the alt works just like a 1 wire alt, you still have to blip the throttle once to get it to charge.

5. nail-head

nail-head

OK, maybe I'm laboring under some misconceptions, or just outright ignorance, about the charging system.

I want to eliminate the regulator. My goal is to simplify and clean up my engine compartment and get better performance with fewer parts in the system to fail. A single wire alternator seems to accomplish those results...and doesn't a single wire alternator have an internal regulator or something similar? Is that what is triggered when y'all talk about gunning the throttle to get it charging?

I also didn't know I'd have to do without an idiot light, but I suppose I can just install an amp/volt meter to monitor output?

I've only had time to do a little research on parts. Powermaster makes an original replacement alternator, but I can get those from any parts supplier. Anyone know of any companies manufacturing single wire replacments for my original? My usual sources (e.g. The Riviera Owners Association links page) are coming up zero.

6. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

i prefer running the 3 wire alternator and doing the jumper wire so that you only need to connect one wire too it. these are cheaper and easier to find anywhere. you can do a search on here to find out which poles to jump on the alternator itself.

-scott noteboom

7. nail-head

nail-head

I can stick with my original alternator and bypass the regulator?

8. Don't run an amp meter with a one wire, if you must run a meter run a volt meter.

Drop your regulater and hook the chargeing wire from the alternator to the wire that landed on the battery terminal of the voltage regulator. or you can just run a wire to the positive post of the battery and accompllish the same purpose.

A one wire self excites, you can make a jumper on the back side of it but its not necessary the first time to drive it it will excite anyway. Once the revs come up before the tranny shifts out of low you're chargeing.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I thought you were replacing a Generator with an alternator, now I see your replacing an early alt with external regulator. This website has good info on the subject
    www.hartin.com/alt.htm

10. lewislynn

lewislynn

Check this site out. I think they're out of business but the website is a wealth of information on alternators/charging systems

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

11. ShortBus

ShortBus

If you want to use the dummy light, find the right wire BEFORE you ditch your regulator. Switch on the ignition (dummy light on) and disconnect the wires from the regulator one at a time until the dummy light goes off. That's the one you want to keep. Lose the rest.

Take your old alt to a REAL parts store (Non-PepZone) with a REAL counter guy and find a 70s or 80s GM internally regulated alt that has similar tabs. Be sure to compare the tab-to-pulley relationship too. 90-100 amps is plenty.

If the mount tab is narrower than the old one, make a spacer or use washers, this also lets you dial-in the pulley alignment. While you're at the parts place, get the pigtail that fits the 2-prong plug on the back.

Lobucrod said it:
    #1 to dummy light.
    #2 to charging lug on the alt.
    Attach battery cable.

Drive fast.
    Swerve.

12. nail-head

nail-head

Thanks to everyone for the links, information, and advice.

That was educational. I was misusing the term "one wire" to mean any late model internally regulated alternator. After reading that link I understand what I really want is an internally regulated three wire alternator.

That kamikaze deer came outta nowhere.

13. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone know what year/make/model internal regulated alternator will be a direct bolt in replacement for the 63 Riviera?