Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting a sedan to a hardtop?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fyrffytr1, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't know why a lot of folks want to get rid of the vent windows, hell, I'd much rather have them. I call them a smoker window, open up a bit to let smoke and ashes out. Been driving semis over 35 years, hated it when they started eliminating them from the truck doors. Same thing with my personal vehicles, hate having to crack the damn window, especially if it's raining. The ones on my 47 Lincoln don't open up but about 1" due to the mechanism being stripped and rusted, but that's far enough to flick my ashes out the window.

Back to the car, I'd drop the front about 1 or 2 inches and leave the rear where it is for a bit of a rake. A set of Caddy Sombrellos would look good on it with blackwalls. Leave the skirts to the tail dragger guys, looks better IMHO without them. If the straight 8 doesn't work out, a 350 or 400 Pontiac engine should go in there, heck even a 455 since they all used the same block. I can't remember how wide the engine bay is, but since it has the straight 8 it should be plenty long for a more modern V8.

harpo1313 likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

A lot of quality work, and yet, I like the shape of the OP car better.

4. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Well, life got in the way and my 50 got pushed to the side for a long while. But, last week I got a chance to work on it a little. I finally got the brakes working but that is about all. The motor does run and the clutch engages so if everything goes the way I hope I may try moving it under its own power in the next couple weeks. One problem I am running into is rain! I don't want to put my GTO out in the rain to work on the 50 and it's supposed to start raining Sunday and not clear up until the end of the week.
    I did pick up a Lincoln mig welder and am going to practice on some scrap metal. If I get the hang of it I will tackle the floor pans myself. After all, they will be covered up.
    Again, thanks for all the help and advice.

harpo1313 likes this.
  5. No disrespect meant, but I would concentrate on getting the essentials fixed (floors etc.) so you have a drivable project car that you can get some enjoyment out of. Once you start a serious project like cutting the door posts out of it the project is going to seem way more daunting.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Getting back to the exhaust … I did a split manifold on a '50 Custom Catalina using a Gotha weld-in flange I lucked into. I didn't have the skills to isolate it 4 & 4, so I did it 3 & 5, of course blocking in between. Very interesting sound - one pipe rapped, then half a second later, the other rapped. Toughest part of the operation was building around the underseat heater.
    Don't consider a y-pipe unless you walk around with a plastic pocket protector full of various colored pens & wear slacks ...

7. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Again, I do appreciate all the replies and I have decided not to modify the body. I am going to get the floor and trunk plans repaired then see what I can do with the motor as far as MAYBE splitting the exhaust and getting the Edmonds dual carb intake installed. I will be asking questions about the carburetor set-up.

panhead_pete likes this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Oh hell no we can't get the GTO wet ! It might shrink. Get over it or at least stop whining about getting your precious Goat wet. What's the matter won't the top go up ?

fyrffytr1 likes this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

LOL! I know some guys who won't even wash their cars because they would get wet! They use those spray on detailers to clean them! Hell, if I was afraid to get my stuff wet, I'd just seal it up in a glass box and look at it all the time! I drive my stuff, year round. No snow to speak of here, and for sure no salt, so nothing but a little dirt, and guess what? Water will wash it off!

fyrffytr1 likes this.
  11. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Thanks for the last two replies. Since I lost my last brother last October I have been pretty depressed. We used to talk to each other like you two gave it to me and I miss that.
    As far as the GTO getting wet, that is not my concern. I wash it and drive it at least once a week. But, I take care of my stuff as best I can and try to keep it clean. If I park it out in the rain I will have to wash and detail it and at almost 70 years old that is not easily done anymore.
    It took me all day to get the brakes on the 50 where I have a half decent pedal and another whole day just to change out the shocks.
    So, if I can keep the GTO clean that is a day I can spend on the 50.
    You will be proud to know that I moved a bunch of stuff around in my shop and am actually able to pull the 50 far enough off the wall to get around it and still leave the GTO inside. It's tight but I have made it work.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good for you. I am almost 71 and still building. you can do it the more you move around the better it is for joint pain.