Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting 9" ford carrier from 31 to 28 spline

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lukey, Oct 20, 2013.

1. lukey

lukey

I've been told changing a 9" ford carrier from one spline to the other is simple, but nobody can tell me what's involved. I want to convert a 31 spline traction lock to 28 spline for my car. I'm not changing axles, it's not needed...it's got a 300 horse 302, with an automatic. 28 spline is adequate. I have a 31 spline traction lock, and a limited budget. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. What axles do you have?

3. I bought a kit that included the 28 spline clutch hub and the steel plates.It did not come with the clutch plates. I see on Ebay that you can buy a complete Trac-Loc rebuild kit that includes the 28 spline clutch hub,plates and clutches complete. Just buy that and install them in place of the 31 spline parts.You may need a pair of 28 spline side gears as well.

4. barstowpo

barstowpo

I'm no expert, but I would think axles would be cheaper than replacing the carrier or replacing parts in the carrier that have the splines.

5. Getting axles would probably be cheaper and easier and you could sell your 28 spline to offset the cost. That's what is do anyway

6. lukey

lukey

It has a 28 spline 3.50 open carrier in it now. I just picked up a 31 spline traction lock for free...I have been told to just swap the splined side gears out and go, but everybody that says that can't tell me anything more, or if they have ever done it. I would love to trade this carrier for a 28 spline if anybody would do that, other wise I'm gonna see if it's possible.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I alway thought going from 28 to 31 involved some machine work on the carrier to accept the larger axle. Besides that, the side spider gears that carry the axle should swap out. Going from 31 to 28 should be a straight forward spider gear swap. I did stay at a Holiday INN express last night too....

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it is a ford track lock you will be lucky if it does not fall apart when you take it out of the third member.
    I would look for an after market unit that fits your axles.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I can't remember the exact layout...but I'm sure that there are 3 splined parts that require replacement.
    A regular side gear just like an open diff side gear on one side AND a short side gear that works in series with a splined clutch driver on the other. The steels between those clutch plates are locked into the diff housing itself.
    If you were to simply swap the two 28 spline side gears and leave the 31 spline clutch driver I believe you would have a Traction Loc that works just like an open diff as there would be no clutch interaction. The smaller 28 spline axle would have no contact with the clutch driver splines at all.

10. Not just a side gear swap.... You/he would need the 28 spline clutch hub as well.

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I knew I was missing some thing, you guys are correct. Two side gears and a clutch hub. But all the parts from the 28 spine, should switch out to replace the 31 spline parts. Make sure you have an axle slid in the clutch hub and spider gear so the teeth line up, otherwise the axle will not go in all the way.