Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting 38 backing plates to hydraulic.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Apr 16, 2011.

1. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I did a search to see if anyone has posted about converting 38 backing plates to hydraulic and found nothing. Do you know of anyone who has tried this, were they successful? I am going to try doing this on a set that I have laying around. My plan is to cut out the metal where the mechanical "s" cam is and replace it with a new piece of metal to drill for a hydraulic cylinder, and use the original shoes and spring kit. Thanks for the help and input!!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

3. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I've never liked the looks of the F100 plates, and I would go with 40 plates but I want something that you don't see to often.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

never did a 38, but have done a 1935. used the 35 shoes, and added wheel cylinders, like you said.

5. 117harv

117harv

Yes, convert them and have some different looking brakes. I will be doing it soon to some 36 brakes i have, it looks to be a simple modification.

I did see a thread awhile back with some pics, but i can't find it. Hotroders are resourceful, and modifing vintage parts to work for your application is what it's all about:)

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

This has been discussed many times.
    The 'search' feature does not work well on this website
    You can cut and weld the 38 plates then use 12" brake shoes available from advance auto
    ask for 71-76 Chevy BIG station wagon ONLY
    The HAMB has the best info on the web but needs an Index so it can be found

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

You can go look it up for yourself.
    Try advance auto.com or NAPA and look at what sizes the factory engineers used.
    Pick a car, any car, for example a 1960 Ford pickup, look at the master cylinder bore, then front and rear wheel cylinder bore sizes and decide what you want.

8. Way back whenever somebody on here did a tech on converting pre-49 backing plates to self energizing shoes, cylinders and other hardware. No luck in a search though.

Charlie

9. i have these backing plates if i ever want to do convert i am not willing to sell them but i can take any photos you need of them just send me a pm

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Save a LOT of work, and headache by getting a set of bendix style brake assemblies,...Speedway sells 'em, and they're made to bolt right on the early Ford axels and spindles. I sure wish they had those, when I did a conversion years ago !!! The have them available with the parking brake mechanism for the rears. 4T

11. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

off subject.. but heres the video of you me and tall alex crusing in your 31 ford woody, its always a blast, enjoy the jackassery...

sorry for the the bad camera work. i'd like to get a video of you driving from the out side...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PP8vfT44GbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This conversion useta be done commercially by Ansen...they converted and exchanged all the types of Ford brakes 1929-38, and sold the kits nationally with all hoses and MC hookup included.
    They basically handled the job by drilling out the top for a 1940 or so Chevy wheel cylinder, which had the adjusting parts made as part of it since the discarded Ford bits had also handled adjustment. Rear brakes were rotated so top corresponded to hydraulic needs.
    The kits were available through major catalogs for many years, so I assume they were popular even when Ford hydraulics were a common scrap yard item. Never saw any back when and have only encountered a few fragments at fleamarkets.