Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Convertibles verses roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 2, 2019.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

My roadster has a heated seat... that's all you need :)

20170429_132351_resized_2.jpg

2. I knew a fellow that had a convertible, a swimming pool, a boat, and a redhead. :p
    Everyone thought he was living the life. :rolleyes:
    That reminds me, I'm due to put some fresh flowers on his headstone pretty soon. :mad:

3. I'm older then my years.....I'd never put the top down.
    I like the lines of the convertible but hate the sun. Sadly I want to reproduce my grandfathers car, a 1939 Mercury convertible........sooooo. Most likely it'll never happen as those are HIGH dollar.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

Dodge Wayfarer, 49-52. But from what I read, '51 was the last year for side curtains. 52s had roll up windows.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. This is one nice roadster. HRP

[​IMG]

Hyfire likes this.
  6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I’ve been driving the same roadster for 20yrs.
    Having a wife and 2 kids who prefer riding in the roadster over my coupes, shoebox or 55 Ford I decided to buy and build a fat fendered convertible. Got a long way to go but it’s likely going to be the favorite family car. But if it’s just me, i’ll Hop in the roadster and drive it weather hot, chilly, or there is a chance of rain.

10FE5954-51BC-45CB-ABC1-61D977937732.jpeg
    E5FC66D0-DF4F-436D-BC18-97A86CC39FA2.jpeg

7. I have both, love both. They are two totally different cars. The convertible gets toasty warm inside with windows and a heater. Both great road cars

26ADE218-13AF-4DE8-82FA-99ED18152A8C.jpeg 9F605BC7-329C-443D-87A1-445435A4AC47.jpeg

8. The first Dodge Viper was a true roadster. So I would have to guess that the 90s was the last American built roadster. LOL

HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

EB6AB6A5-8B45-4984-ACCB-51314105F53F.jpeg After building only hot rods and “fast” cars for many years I finally built this shoe box vert. As said already, not so great on a hot day in the sun but at night or during the spring and fall my wife and I loved driving it. One of the few cars I wished I would have held on to.

jimgoetz and wicarnut like this.
  10. I have an older friend that says that around here you can drive a vert about 3 days a year. But if you got AC you can open the back window and drive them comfortable all year. LOL

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Actually I just retired as a groundskeeper so I was used to working in the sun but my wife is pretty fair skinned so it was worse for her than me. Still we drove the shit out of that car it was comfortable, smooth and quiet. Pretty much the opposite of most of my other cars. I’d like to have another one some day.

12. I make these exhaust tips if you need some.

13. I've got both, roadster in the rain is its' own kind of fun, convertibles get the girls to ride with you. Should have one of each.

robracer1 likes this.
  14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am partial to door glass that rolls up and down. And fenders.

but that is me.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

The older I get the more comfortable I want to be. I've owned three convertibles and most of time left the tops up and the windows down.

Gary

16. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Right now I have 2 OT convertibles as daily drivers, a 27 roadster and a Harley. I guess I have something against roofs. I tell everyone that I've driven my convertibles more times with the tops down and the heat on then with the tops and windows up and the air cond. on. My first convert was a 57 Ford in 64 and been driving them ever since.

17. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Attached Files:

18. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have built a number of Roadsters for customers but have never owned one . I agree completely they are a blast to drive but prefer my two off topic late 60s convertibles because of our ever changing Wisconsin weather forecast. lol Larry

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Convertibles have always been a topic of discussion in our house. It might be that girls and convertibles go hand in hand in So Cal and most elsewhere. A girl with the convertible top down, hair, blowing in the wind, the openness of the moving car, driving along the coastline or a long row of palm trees, etc. showcases this cool looking lifestyle. All have been portrayed as “things So Cal” in countless movies and shows.

We dads and grandfathers try our hardest to dissuade the usage of convertibles as a mode of daily transportation. The aspect of : no roll over protection, flying insects and road grime, stuff thrown back from huge 4x4 tires, do not make it a promising, fun driving experience. But, countless girls and women can’t stay away from those convertibles, old style or even the new hi-tech hard top versions.
    upload_2019-2-18_3-53-39.png Pacoima, CA 1950s
    My wife’s mom had a big 47 Buick convertible between 1950 and 55. The three kids loved jumping in the car with the top down. There are family stories about poking a broom handle through the convertible top and running for their lives, among other convertible stories from those easy going days.

Even my mom liked my dad’s big Buick sedans, but wanted him to buy a 1956 Buick Skylark for the family. That got the two brother’s approval in a flash, but was nixed by the household boss. My dad was a die hard, Buick sedan guy all the way.

When we got married, my wife wanted a convertible for her daily driver. But, after several of our friends got stuff stolen through sliced convertible tops, she looked a lot at convertible models, but decided it was not worth the trouble. She also mentioned that most girls/women like the tops, but constantly complain about knots in the swirling hair going down the street. The factories listened and came up with windscreens to lessen the swirling around. But, an accessory installed in a 29-34 Ford roadster or the classic 40 Ford convertible?
    upload_2019-2-18_3-55-7.png Vnak photo: a nice rear end…

Jnaki

So, the controversy still hangs around every time we see a girl driving around with the top down… Some still have swirling hair, others have beanies, caps, bandanas, and nets to keep things in place, while still trying to maintain the “coolness” of the open top, driving scenario.

Guess what is still, one my wife’s future car plans? Yes, a convertible of some sort. Although, she admits…(got it on tape for future references…!!!) That despite the unnecessary sun exposure during our teens through the forties, she is constantly reminded of fair skin vs the sun. She still, wants a convertible. But has said, “ I will never put the top down when driving…” Case closed… So, no RPUs, open roadsters or classic convertibles will be popping up in our future.

We almost bought a 1969 Porsche 911s Targa as a daily driver. So, does that count as a convertible?

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Eenie, meenie, miney, mo.

47ragtop likes this.
  21. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

So I have driven more roadsters than convertibles I think. Regardless most have been speedster lacking most everything. I was in HS driving the '28 roadster (mostly stock with a chopped top) and that afternoon it started snowing. Not usually a problem but it was still snowing when I headed home and found out that as the snow packed on the windshield and you used the hand wiper it would actually push it over the top of the windshield and into your lap. Running my speedster in the rain Everything got soaked as when you turned the wheels water came off the road as well as coming down and got you from every direction. I currently have a '59 tbird that given the option would opt for a removeable hard top. I just acquired a '38 Zephyr sedan that will be my "cruiser" and by cruiser I am talking the car you drive on road trips going to an event but not the car for the event. I am building a '27 Speedster which will have a little more protection than a bike but not much. More interestingly though is the '12 tourabout I am going to be building. Interesting as it will have a top that may be up most of the time but no doors or windshield! Basically use the Zephyr to tow the early cars in comfort to wherever an event might be. 0.jpg

Attached Files:

22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Drove a buddy of mine's t-bucket home from a show many years ago after he had a few too many. While driving home it started to rain. I thought the rain would be my major worry until every time I turned left I got my face washed!