Register now to get rid of these ads!

Convertible Owners Present and Past - Top Conditioner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, May 17, 2012.

1. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

My 48 Poncho is finally back on the road and so far no major issues have occured. The build funds are considerably low as I sunk everything into reliability and safety before glitz and shine.

It will be a while before I will be able to replace my old top and rubber seals and have to make due with what I have. The top is not in the best of shape but I don't get wet when it rains. The thing bugging me for now is how it looks. It is faded in places and looks "dirty" when it dries after I wash it.

I was hoping some of you might know of a good cleaner/conditioner that might help bring some life back into the old top. To the best of my knowledge it is the or like the original top material, kind of like a canvas but somewhat softer.

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...........48 Poncho

2. Cant help you on the top but silicone lube will help extend the life on the rubber.

3. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Thanks Sam123. There must be something on the market. Wal Mart was a bust of course. Might have to try the Zone. I hate going to that place.

48 Poncho

4. 4tford

4tford

Way back in 1962 I had a 59 ford convertible and I cleaned the top with prell shampoo it seem to work good at removing dirt and leaving the top looking clean. "Simple green" might be another option to try.

5. Poncho,
    JC Whittney and eastwood are probably good places to look for a cleaner/conditioner for your top. Sorry to use them both in the same sentence.

You may also consider looking at upholstery shops for some sort of dye to freshen it up.

Now onto bigger n better things. I cannot believe that you didn't make it look good first. I mean hell everyone knows that it is more important to look good in the driveway that to cruise on the hiway. :rolleyes: ;)

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Don't know for fact but heard Simple Green will eat the threads ?

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Simple Green or Wesleys both work green on Big Olds white canvas top.

8. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Thanks everyone. Just proves once again that if you don't know the answers you at least got a place to get the information needed.

Side note: Hi Denise and congrats on the Longroooooof...looks cool!

48 Poncho

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Hi right back at ya sweetie! Congrats on getting the Poncho running. Looking forward to checking it out one of these days.