Register now to get rid of these ads!

convert 6 volt to 12 volt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shelby69500, Mar 14, 2010.

1. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

i have my stock 48 ford flathead 6. how do i convert my 6 volt to a 12 volt system?

2. Domino

Domino

If the only parts you are messing with are on the engine it is simple. A 12 volt condenser in the distributor and a 12 volt coil and ballast resistor if your coil requires it. If you are using a coil with an internal resistor the ballast resistor is not needed. The 6 volt starter can stay, but the generator will need to be swapped out for a 12 volt version or an alternator.

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I did not do that. Mine starts it at the same voltage as it runs. With the faster speed of the starter, it hits off right away. But you do need to cut the volts so you don't burn the points.

Regarding generator. I have changed the field windings to 12 volts and used the rest of the 6 volt generator. With Ford, you can swap the center housing of a 12 volt generator with the 6 volt housing. Works fine for me. On another car, all I changed was the regulator to 12 volt, still run the 6 volt generator. So far, that has also worked. I imagine that I am not getting alot of amperage but it is working for me. Remember to polarize generator.

Neal

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

5. river1

river1

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

ford ran 6 volt gauges into the late 80's so the best and easiest way, is go to the auto parts store and get a 60's mustang instrument voltage regulator or one from a 70's ford truck as these have the best connection points over later models and they are very easy to install and take up no room at all. Plus they cost what one runtz costs alone. good luck

7. alsancle

alsancle

I'm in the process of converting my 6 volt Stutz Special over to 12 volt. We are doing this so that we have enough cranking power to get the higher compression engine started. Also, I'm changing over to electronic ignition.

My question is what do I need to do with the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank? Will the 6 volt one work as is?

thanks!

8. Kool49

Kool49

Wanting to convert my 49 Chevy Fleetline (216) inline to 12 volts . What are the pros and cons generator vers alternator ? I like the look of the gen but is a alt better in the long run ? The gen would be easier (brackets) that is a direct bolt in ! Just curious before i go buying one or the other only to find out i should have went the other way . Thanks