Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Contour sct from Eastwood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley jim, May 10, 2020.

1. cshades

cshades
    from wi

004.JPG 006.JPG I bought one a while back haven't used it much yet. I did try it on one of my fenders and was pleased with the result

LAROKE likes this.
  2. Some folks like myself don’t like using course grits like that to clean metal.
    This is why I’m curious if this tool works close to how it’s advertised.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19-gauge, worse, 18-gauge, and even worse 20-gauge (like on an early Falcon), gets really thin when you go at it with 36.

I won't use anything lower than 80 to clean metal. I have more than enough time to move around to prevent warping, than I have time to repair metal damaged I caused.

anthony myrick likes this.
  4. I have purchased an ot 70 f100 that had good factory paint the po filled all of the body seams with bondo then primer and ss paint. He didn't know what he was doing, he painted it in a car port and it rained soon after so it's a mess but it's a solid truck with no rust so worth saving. I normally use a da and 80 grit then 120 grit. A friend was telling about using the contour sct and how he stripped a truck box in three hours and 1 and 1/2 of the 49.00 stripping drums. I dont mind spending the money to save the time but I'm not sure I would be saving the time with this tool. Thanks for all of the great feedback guys.
    Beaner looks like the da may win this one.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Much cheaper and does a great job, Painteater made by Wagner (around $13-15 at most hardware stores or Menards). It's a fiber wheel that screws onto your 4.5" angle grinder. Just screw it on by hand and when it stops threading you are ready to go, no reason to force it to go further. The purple ones are the best but they have been replaced by the black ones.

They remove paint quickly and work great on surface rust. Took 1 pad to do the box side on my unibody (took about 30 minutes to remove original paint, 2 coats of primer and a newer paint job) and to clean up a bunch of small stuff. Did both inner fenders with one pad. Took another pad to do both doors and about half the roof skin.

Work great and leave a nice tooth for primer or putty work.

SPark

100_4919.JPG 100_4920.JPG 100_5314.JPG 100_5315.JPG 100_5317.JPG 100_5318.JPG 2020-30d.jpg DSCN0736.JPG DSCN0737.JPG DSCN0738.JPG DSCN0739.JPG DSCN0740.JPG DSCN0747.JPG DSCN0748.JPG DSCN0749.JPG

6. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

That Wagner Paint Eater pad is rated for 3000 rpm. How fast is your grinder spinning?

7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Probably 11,000. I have been thru bout 20 discs in the last 5 years and never had a single problem.
    SPark

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

147mph. That is how fast the pieces will be going, if they come off.

Roothawg likes this.
  9. I looked at that product on amazon it was specif for there tool as I was reading and looking the next one down was a 3M product that was rated for a 4.5 angle grinder. I have a slower speed buffer that has the same head thread as an angle grinder so I have ordered one of each to do a comparison as I strip the truck.
    Thanks LM14 for the tip, I wasn't too happy at the prospect of spending close to 500 dollars to strip the truck myself. I could get it blasted for that much money.
    We will see what happens guys!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. ^^^^^3M purple stripit, that's what I use. Cheaper by the case (10)

11. Charlie
    Where do you get yours. I checked amazon and couldn't find them

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app