Register now to get rid of these ads!

Continental 6-226

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6narow, Nov 15, 2008.

1. 6narow

6narow

Anyone know if speed parts exist for that engine?
    I thought it'd be cool to do up an old Jeepster and I'd like to use that engine.

Thnx,
    6narow

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. 6narow

6narow

...oh, and here's some of my inspiration for considering this project...

Attached Files:

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Edmunds made a head and a dual intake, and Mallory made a dual point distributor. Other than that.......

4. 6narow

6narow

AHA! I knew there had to be something out there!
    Thank you so much, Heathen.

...what about exhaust?
    Any split mainfolds exist? Maybe Fenton made something?

6narow

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Nothing, but that doesn't mean that you can't split yours.

6. fish3495

fish3495

Holy Ned, You don"t want hot rod that motor. It weighs a million lbs. Most Jeep guys rebuild them in the car because they are too heavy to get out of the car. It's a tractor motor. I think the OHC 6 (cool) or the older F-head 6 (cooler) would be more fun.

Rick

7. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

do you mean the old Kaiser/Frazer flathead 226 ?

I have one of those engines in my 1968 Ingersoll Rand air compressor, it's OEM for that model- this one has an updraft carb

very reliable engine, forged rods with bushed small end and snap rings on piston pins- solid lifters on this one

if that's the one you have, a GM Chevy late model straight 6 HEI distributor will work on that Continental- by cutting off/shortening the distributor housing and shaft on the dist, and grinding a flat in it- the engine will turn the dist. backwards but it will start much easier than points, and run much better with the HEI

when I bought this compressor, it didn't run- pulled it apart one piston was broken- bought a ring set and piston from a net source down South- it arrived in the NOS Kaiser/Frazer parts boxes ! Changed the piston and rings. One valve was stuck open, removed head, squirted it with WD-40 and sanded it with sandpaper- pounded it down with a hammer and got it going up/down again

put it back together with the same head gasket cleaned with lacquer thinner, and used sealer on the gasket

VAR-ROOM it's running like a bear- I give the updraft carb a shot of starting fluid just to get it started easy first time, then after that it starts all day no problem

neat old engine

8. 6narow

6narow

Scrounger,

Correct. Kaiser/Frazier used it in their cars, and the Jeeps, once Kaiser bought out Willys.
    It was actually made by Continental, which, by the late 40's, was a division of..........Kaiser / Frazier.
    Back when my father was in the service, he used to work on those engines, as they were orignally designed to power gen sets (my Dad opened and closed radar sites during most of his 20-years as an enrollee of the USAF).
    Dad always talked highly of that engine, as well. He said it could pull up to about 12-15 KW and if you set if to run at 1800 RPM, it'd do it all day long without a hitch...HOWEVER, you really didn't want to run it much faster (over 2K).
    Thanks for the advice on the distributor. I didn't know that, but that's something I will DEFINATELY put on the "upgrade" list.
    BTW, I'm just in the planning stages right now. I wanted to see if it was even feasable, and it sounds like it might be.
    Thanks again. Enjoyed your post very much.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Rick,

Your comments are noted. I would really like to use the "vintage" engine (with a twist), but I am keeping the door open on using a more modern drivetrain, as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Heathen,

:( That's too bad about the exhaust manifold, but you're right. Ain't nuthin' a torch and some rod couldn't fix. ;)

6narow

9. willysmonger

willysmonger

6narow! I am doing the same thing... good jeepsters are getting hard to find. 226 rocks!