Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical consumer caution advised

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Apr 3, 2019.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

So, I bought a set of oxy and acetylene regulators from the Detroit Torch
    company. These are the folks who sell the Cobra welding torch, which is the former Henrob torch that has been on the market for several years. Detroit Torch marketed the regulators as a newly developed product known as the Granite Series. When put in to service the oxy. regulator failed after less than an hour of receiving initial pressure. The low pressure side went from 8 lbs psi.
    to an equal pressure with the high side. This indicates a rupture in most cases. I contacted Detroit Torch by phone. They indicated no surprise or asked any questions regarding proper or in proper operation of the regulator. They immediately offered to send me a replacement no charge or shipping fees.
    I was pleased and did in fact receive said regulator within a few days. That was a year or so ago. This week I was using the regulator for some brazing when it
    failed as well. This unit had less than an hour total pressure use when it failed in the exact same manner. Now Detroit Torch has a warranty phone contact number. This number when dialed has a busy signal or a recorded message stating you have reached a number no longer in service. There is a nonsense
    instruction on their web site stating you must first contact them via internet and give them all the in formation regarding your problem. Also they require you to state how much welding experience you have? After you do this then you should call the warranty number. Except there is no known number I can
    get a contact from. In essence it seem to me their product is failing so miserably that they have insulated themselves from the consumer. I think Detroit Torch is well advertised scam of a company that can't deal with a
    major product failure. I will not buy from them again. By the way these
    Granite series regulators are American made. I would advise using extreme caution if dealing with them. Rant over!

2. Bummer.Not good business.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Did you open the tank valve slowly or did you just grab it and twist. I have to admit that for a long time I just whipped the valve open with no problems but I had a Victor regulator fail and the guy at the repair shop suggested that I always open the tank valve slowly. Made sense to me, so I've been doing that with all my welding set-ups and no problems. Honestly, I never thought about it but a regulator probably will last longer if not subjected to a 0-3000 psi hit every time.
    Good luck and thanks for the warning.

RidgeRunner and blowby like this.
  4. mickeyc

mickeyc

I always with out fail bleed off all pressure in the systemafter use. I always back off the adjusting valve before walking away. 40 years ago I cranked an ox bottle open without any precautions. This act was observed by a
    monster of a general foreman disguised as a human being for my at the time employer, The American Bridge Company. After the "coaching" he metered out to me I NEVER have done that again! You do make a good point. A lot of users are unaware of the proper procedures regarding regulator use.

Texas Webb and RidgeRunner like this.