Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Considering putting a '50 Buick grill in my '47 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jan 23, 2019.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Naaaaaaaaaa...the Buford grille belongs on a............Buick, not that sweet look'in old Ford.
    Now a Buick looks really cool with that grille all slammed and trick out but not the Ford.
    Reminds me of Ronnie Pledger in the 4th grade.
    6sally6

Hombre, BigO and King ford like this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Sink the Buick grill teeth's in to the max of the front so it is not the first thing you see. The way they are set in the first picture looks like it will bite you, if you stand to close.

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

NANCY REGAN....( just say no!)

zzford and BigO like this.
  4. Crocodile

Crocodile

I have a 47 long door coupe with no front clip. I do not understand how people do not like the grille it was given at birth. Actually, I like a 46 grille better, but they both look great.
    The Olds grille, to me, looks hideous. I don't even like them where they belong, in the Olds. The Buick grille, in the chop, looks way better, but if you are doing a sleek and low custom, so does the entire Buick for that purpose. The Ford is a full on coupe. No swept lines from the factory, other than the rear roof/trunk.
    The face of the Ford does look at bit bulky in factory form, but sitting low, like yours, it really looks great. Why not just enjoy how cool you have made what you have already?
    Almost seems like you are looking for other people's validation, rather than enjoying a great car. Just my 2 cents... I am wrong often enough...

zzford and BigO like this.
  5. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'm with Crocodile on this. A coupe will never be a true custom unless it's chopped drastically as the short body has no" flow" to it. If you want a buick grill I would suggest you look at the 57 grill in stead. Ralphie

BigO likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either the Buick or a 58 Edsel grille will get your Ford in the next cartoon movie of CARS:rolleyes:

BigO likes this.
  7. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

Not a custom guy , never even thought about something like that , but looks really good to me, Dempsey, glad to see you enjoying the old car.

BigO likes this.
  8. RDR

RDR

Custom guy here and read you are not doing the '50 Buick grille....Good decision IMO !
    If you can't quit thinking about change, maybe consider the '48 DeSoto grille.
    I do believe most people today think that '50 Mercs came with the '52 DeSoto grilles, eh ?

BigO likes this.
  9. Thanks for the reply, I just sometimes question myself about some ideas and I have no one around to toss around ideas so I come to the HAMB because I know I will get honest opinions and help stay on the right path. Thanks

harpo1313 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  10. Hahaha, I love that, thanks .

11. The photoshopped version doesnt' look too bad to be but the grill is too small. I believe a real 50 Buick grill would be way bigger than that photoshopped photo.
    I'm also a big fan of the original ford grill and bumper. Maybe I'm just used to seeing the original parts on a 46-48 ford.

zzford likes this.
  12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i think it looks pretty cool, kinda similar idea right?

14. The stock grill with the top grill bar removed and filled is the way to go, or if you must 47 Olds grill, nosed and decked and you got it. Go see the Valley Custom Shop 41 thru 47 Fords and Mercs as a guide.

15. Torchie

Torchie

Best advice given here if you want to build a true custom.
    I'm building a 49 Dodge Coronet that has been mildly chopped and sectioned. And I've been mulling over grill ideas for the past 2 weeks over on the CCC site ( Ask K13. He's been part of that discussion.) So many different grills that people commenting on the thread were getting confused.LOL
    Grills and tail lights are make or break points on any custom just as as wheel and tires are on a hot rod. A custom is all about the "Flow." I appreciate you wanting something different as I feel the same, but, it's getting harder to be different and not end up with a "cartoon" car. I believe the grill could work but not with the heavy Buick bumper. Those style of bumpers really don't go with the less bulky post war 40's cars with out some serious body mods.IMHO.
    Keep us posted on your decision....
    Torchie

lurker mick likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's all about the flow.....that Buick grill makes the Ford look like an International truck swallowed a Buick. I'm not a fan of "toothy" grills, with the exception of a late 50's Corvette.

Want something different? How about a 42 Ford grill, or a 46-48 Mercury? Both are rarely seen, and would go with the flow of the car.

LBCD and tinsled like this.
  17. Geez that '50 Merc stuff (above) looks good. I like the Buick thing too, but scale is wrong and therefore whole idea dubious, as shown.
    Never been a fan of '46-8 grilles. '42 Merc is rare but looks good. Maybe fab a tube grille to fit stock opening/ header bar, if you get bored. Could be relatively simple to do also.

18. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Just my opinion.
    It's your car, do what you want but it looks nice the way Henry did it.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  19. Smiffy

Smiffy

Hi Big O
    Go for it!! looks so different it's great.

20. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

If a Buick grill is a consideration... you can always go a different year... This Grill fits with NO modification. Fits under the stock Ford upper bar.
    done about 27 years ago, still in use somewhere in Florida I believe. 4" chop, helped proportions too. 20180619_200848_resized.jpg

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Buick grille in a 47 ford makes it look like it's front heavy with a huge lower lip.
    Don't do it. There's a reason folks used early Olds grilles. You might just be better of leaving it alone. One idea would be to remove and fill in the big stainless piece above the 3 stainless horizontal bars and just leave the 3 stainless bars by themselves. The horizontal bars make the car look wider and lower. Much better and very simple to do.

22. 'Mo

'Mo

Just a note; Posting this thread to the main board does not appear in the "Customs" section.
    Posting on the "Customs" board appears in both locations.;)

The Photo-shop is not to scale. Buick parts are massive.
    Here are a couple options.

I went to Rik's Archives specifically for this one. It is an old custom that re-emerged in the Custom Renaissance of the 'Eighties, and stood out with its unique look as a Bona-fide survivor. Flat seared my brain!

[​IMG]

While searching for "Fuzzy"s" Ford (above), I came across this one. Not quite there, but food for thought.
    Retain the third grille bar, but extend and lower the top surround to fill the upper gap?

[​IMG]

Beyond that, for affordable availability, I'd look to a '50 Plymouth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    LBCD and Stogy like this.
  23. chargin03

chargin03

Gotta luv a 50 Buick grill !

24. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a jalopper, so not qualified to comment, except to say "nice car!"

If you go with the general consensus though, you just banked a crapload of drivingtime!

(I think cabin fever has got us all over-thinkin stuff. Another month till I can hit the road)

25. 'Mo

'Mo

"Retain the third grille bar, but extend and lower the top surround to fill the upper gap?"
    THIS I would do!

(Big thanks to James D for the Photoshop.)
    [​IMG]

John Lee Williamson likes this.