Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Compulsion Rod & Custom 51 GMC shop truck project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Mar 30, 2014.

1. OK, the backstory. I have been after an AD truck for 30 years. I learned how to paint on my first car, a 71 Cutlass at the age of 14. Got cockey and scared of the expensive paint job in the HS parking lot and sold it. Thought I could do the same with one of these trucks...................yeah right. Back then, most of these things were still being used on ranches out here. I settled for a 3 1/2 cylinder first year Fox body Moostang. A great car for 5 years that I actually made money on!

Anyway, this one came up from an HRI student. Plans are to keep the flatbed since I dug them in the 80s and want a work truck daily driver. That Ranger behind it has been to several HAMB Drags and Bonneville Speedweeks and is close to 300K. I need a new truck.

The plan is smallblock and overdrive. I am a Rocket Wheel dealer so I have some ideas there. Skipstitch here sold me some Red Leatherette a few years back so that will be the interior. Lets see what I can do in a few months!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. For Rocky!

3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Despite the patina it looks real solid. Good score!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How many Fnnnn projects do u have going?

5. I realized last night while talking to Rocky that someone stripped this to bare metal and shaved all the trim. Hence the patina. There is only ONE quarter sized spot of rust in the whole truck. Ironically, I have been saving a battery door for one of these for 15 years. This one needs a battery door! This truck has been on the ranch and unlicensed for 40-50 years hauling hay. Fits since it is being built in a straw bale shop.

2 active right now.The Bonneville car and this. I recently re-started my A Tudor but was not happy with some things and am putting it back in storage. It is also giving up its drivetrain for this truck. The truck is happening due to three things. It falling into my lap, my daily Ranger getting worn out, and needing more power to haul the lakester to Bonneville!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. bct

bct

gonna be good

7. Lookin good Trent.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I dig the roll bar and rooftop cab lights...those staying...???

R-

9. Naw, the rollbar is pretty crude well pipe. The bed however is well built. I am going to shave the larger stake pockets and make some smaller ones for the wood stake sides. You got me thinking about the cab lights however Rog!

10. fryguy

fryguy

Can't wait to see this build come to life

11. jerry

jerry

Nice truck. What is the suspension going to be?

jerry

12. Not sure, was talking to Elpolacko about it the other day. In your truck, what shifter did you use with the T5 and where did it end up?

13. I posted this on FB but I need seat ideas. Redo the stocker or use something out of a junkyard?

14. jerry

jerry

Late 80's truck with a modified base is what I used. Gets me farther back to better fit.

I have used both the camaro and S-10 tail shafts. Either will work, just need to modify the shifter arm to move the shifter to a better angle with the camaro. Easier to use the S-10 as the trans mount is flat instead of angled.

I've got got a muncie in there now.

jerry

15. I thought you were still using a 5 speed? Cool, I have the WC S10 tranny. Your seat is comfy, I may look for one of those. This stock seat is bulky.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Looking good Billy Ray!

17. Making some progress and plans. Dad and I tore the upper end open on the smallblock. It ran but smoked, I can see one reason. One cylinder has some light scoring you can see it in the lower right corner. One bank of the engine has a minor ridge, the other has none. We are going to open the bottom end, inspect then check for taper in the bores before making a decision. I have $75 into this shortblock.

[​IMG]

Also, I found direction for the front end. One of Sids dropped axles was a strong consideration until I started looking at all the cost involved. The steering box being in the way also led me to steer away from this (pardon the pun). Plus, this is going to be my daily to replace that Ford Ranger. I wanted and upgrade in ride and handling (the Ranger rode worse than my dads F250). So, a talk with ElPolacko and a pal led to this Dakota Front end. My pal needed it out of the way, cost FREE. If a mod sees this, it needs to be moved into "Trad styled"

[​IMG]

Same pal also gave me this 55 Chevy rear. He warned me something may be amiss. This rear was stored on that family farm since the 60s and Art thought he or his brother probable blew it up. I need to open it up, it either has a broken axle or spider gears? We shall see.

[​IMG]

Hmm, those were meant to be thumbnails? Thanks Photobucket.

18. Also, this is the 56 I have for sale in the classifieds ;)

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. I am also planning on using a Mustang tank. Who has the best prices on one? Never had the need for one before!

20. Looks like you're off to a good start! What Rocket wheels are you planning on running? Will the lakester be at Bonneville this year?

21. I am just starting a new day job so will be up in the air about any trips. It is a great job so I am not sorry! day job=more hot rod and lakester money!

Not sure on the wheels, what I want is not in the sizes I need. Will go steelies to start.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, you are as bad as me! A good buddy ran a small con job on myself and Judy (mostly Judy!) about 4 years ago, and long story short I have a '55 first series truck that still isn't home! he agreed to store it as long as needed and bring it down when the time is right... Well, it's almost right! 261 powglide truck, too. I'm gonna do simple Simon kinda stuff like discs and a dropped axle, and probably a 200r4 with the six.

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  23. for a tank try Bob's Mustang Parts,...for a seat, early S-10, Ford Rangers, or 3rd seats from Chev Astro or Safari Vans

24. I hope not as bad!:p If this had been a bigger motor and auto I may have went that route. I am still talking to Steve and planning the Dakota swap.

Thanks, we will see how the stock seat frame looks before making a decision. The Mustang tank still looks like the best option for me. I was under it yesterday and will have to make room for whatever I use.

25. 68-72 Nova, 67-9 Camaro/F-bird tanks work great under these trucks, the filler neck comes out the rear...fills behind a flip down plate

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  26. I have many options since I am keeping it a flatbed.

27. You learn a lot tearing down an engine. Remember that cylinder that was scored? I pulled the pan today. Well, here is the typical red RTV crap.

[​IMG]

And the culprit cylinder from the bottom.

[​IMG]

Hmmm, bad cylinder has a brand new piston. I can tell since it is clean and the skirts are different than the other seven! Hell, it ain't even the same piston! What are some folks thinking?!?!?! Pretty sure that slug does not match the others as far as balance! WTF!?

28. Ah! Noticed a fresh con rod as well.................................veely intelesting.

29. Cool....that'll make a nice truck. I talked to my buddy regarding the 270. Buncha new parts in it [alternator, water pump, fuel pump, tune up parts etc] and he wants $400 for it complete I'm sure that price includes the flywheel/bellhousing that accepts any modern GM tranny, like the H.D. 3 speed B/W T-85, 3 speed that's behind it now. Don't know if he wants to sell the tranny but if you want it, I can axe him. If he doesn't want to sell it I have one for sale if it's what you're looking for.
    I still want to build a "gravel road" hotrod flatbed truck. Something I can haul parts in, drive to the prom and feel comfortable on a gravel road with my dog up on the flatbed. Uhhh, I don't have a dog anymore but maybe the cat will ride up there. 'Soon as I get a cat.
    Trent, dont' forget to install an "EZ Rider Rifle Rack" in that sucker.

30. I am considering that engine. I do need to keep my eyes open for a gun rack. Even out here you don't see them like you used to. I have that T5 I got from you that I am planning on running in this. The SBC still makes me go WTF?!