Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Compressor question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Strunzo, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Strunzo

Strunzo
    from NJ

You guys seem to be the experts in all things mechanical. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I picked up this compressor at a government auction. I know it's a Quincy but I don't really know anything else about it.
    It's missing one electric motor and all/most of the air hoses.
    I thought about getting a motor and hoses and using it but I'm not sure I can afford to do all that right now.
    At the moment I have a 5hp compressor from Northern Tool that suits my needs so I don't really need this one.
    Is it worth holding on to or should I just try to sell it? Would I be better off parting it out? I have no idea what the value of the pumps would be. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a small Quincy 2 stage. Quincy makes some really big ones. If the pumps are good, it will likely be better than anything else you buy in it's size. I am guessing but I think it's a 5, maybe 7.5 hp. You are going to need a motor, motor starter, pressure switch and plumbing it appears. Good luck.

3. Oldb

Oldb

Quincy has a good dealer/service network. You are fortunate the tag is still very clear. That will help if you need parts.

B

4. redo32

redo32

Found this on Northern site. Dual motors, total 45 cfm. with both motors running. Show us the tag on the motor.

Quincy Duplex Air Compressor — 7.5 HP, 230 Volt, 1 Phase, 120 Gallon Horizontal, Model# 271CC12DC

Item# 325038
    [​IMG]
    Hover over image to zoom

[+] Item in Cart
    Add to Cart

• 7.5 HP motor
    • 230 (240)V, 1 Phase
    • 120-gallon tank
    • Provides up to 175 PSI and delivers 45.2 CFM when both pump/motor systems are operating
    • 50,000-hour pump life

See full description
    Factory Shipped —
    Estimated Delivery: 27 - 29 Business Days

[​IMG] Ship it | See Shipping Options

5. redo32

redo32

It didn't print the price in the copy & paste............ $6900.

6. indyjps

indyjps

Yes, anything quincy is worth keeping. Take the time to liok up specs and shop around for the parts youre missing. Doesnt sound like theres a rush, youll find some good deals.

dirty old man likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

not so sure the example pictured is the same model as the OP's unit.......there are both 5 hp and 7.5 hp versions shown on Northern Tool site. In any case the OP's find seems like a desirable unit to have.....if one has a need for it's capacity, whichever it might be.

On the other hand, since I seem to be one of those people "who can resist anything but temptation",
    I try to keep in mind another wise adage....."a bargain is no bargain unless you can use it". I am often struggling with internal conflict ........and storage space issues.......:D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  8. Strunzo

Strunzo
    from NJ

I should probably also mention that this thing is old. There is a tag on the tank (I assume it's the original tank) with a date of 1972.
    It's got a Baldor motor that says 3/4hp. I'm not sure how that translates to the hp of the machine.

9. Strunzo

Strunzo
    from NJ

Also, this may be a dumb question but how would I test the pumps to know if they're okay without having the electric motor hooked up?

10. BJR

BJR

I have been running a Quincy compressor since 1970 with no problems. They last for ever. I say fix it and use it, sell the one you have to recoup the money you spend.

dirty old man likes this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Google " Quincey compressor model 108" ...3" bore 21\2" stroke single stage and all the info you need including how to plumb it ,USE the internet , it's a wonderful place !

Budget36 and dirty old man like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If that is a single phase motor, it should be easy to wire it up for a 220v connection and test run it. You probably have a 220v dryer hookup in your house which would be sufficient for that purpose.....Or, take the motor off and have it tested at an electric motor shop. In either case, run one of the pumps and see if it builds pressure. Then swap the motor, or the pump, and test #2. If both pumps are good, you can seek an additional motor, new or used, and restore the assembly to it’s potential.

If you have a three phase motor, and no three phase service, I’d probably buy two single phase motors. You could use a phase converter instead, but I would tend toward the first option. Opinions on that will no doubt vary.

Strunzo likes this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

Theyre made to run 24/7 for years. A home shop should never wear one out. Agree on getting a good assessment of the pump before spending a lot. Think on it, if you decide its not for you it should be an easy sell.

Strunzo likes this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It's a Quincy! Keep it. ...I have been running a Quincy for a while and have had zero problems.

The only problem I did have was when I was moving it and dropped it on the plumbing. I called Quincy and had the part the next day.

As was me tioned earlier, Quincy has a very good network of parts and kowledgable staff.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

If proper hp you could swap in the motor and maybe other components from your working northern tool compressor. Either temporarily to see if the Quincy works or permanently if you want to keep the Quincy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatford39 likes this.
  16. Strunzo

Strunzo
    from NJ

So the motor is a 3/4HP. The pumps are good for 100psi Since there are supposed to be two motors I assume that would make this compressor a 1-1/2HP, yes?
    My NT compressor is a 5hp 150 psi compressor.

If my tools require a max of 90psi, does the extra 50psi of the NT compressor do me any good anyway?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  17. BJR

BJR

Yes to get 90 lbs at the tool you have to factor in pressure drop due to the hose length. It can be as much as 20 lbs in 50 feet of air hose. So you will need more then 90 lbs at the compressor to get 90 lbs at the end of the air hose. Get a pressure gage at the end of the hose and run the tool to see what the running pressure is.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like two single stage compressors to me. We had very similar ones in our larger telephone offices that were used to pressurize cable to keep moisture out of them. Virtually everything in the telecom world has redundant components, hence the two individual compressor heads and separate motors powering them.

19. Budget36

Budget36

I think someone just plopped the 3/4 HP motor on it.

Air compressors are all about CFM. Pressure can be adjusted.

You should find the specs on the compressors...very possible you can get by just running one of them

flatford39 likes this.
  20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I would hold on to it, you can always run a line to it then use your shop air from it. Not only will your air be drier but it will double your air storage capacity. This would give you time to find the parts you need, I have a Quincy 5 horse in my garage I believe that its 19 years old and I've never had a problem with in.

Strunzo likes this.
  21. Even though it looks good on the outside, you really need to hydrostatic pressure test the tank before you run up the air pressure. You can do your own hydrotest without any special equipment. Just make sure the tank is fully filled with water before pressurizing.

22. Strunzo

Strunzo
    from NJ

So fill it to the top with water and then add compressed air until I get to the max my current compressor goes to? (150PSI)

23. D232C3F1-B92E-4ACE-A052-0F2B9433D21D.jpeg Hey strunzo....... your name is just awsome !!! :D

Strunzo likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jim Craig (owner of Zenith wire wheel co.) gave me a nice compressor with 80 gallon tank when I had the shop...The motor (5 H.P. 3 phase) was burned up, I had a new single phase 220 V. 7.5 H.P. motor, so removed the old one, bolted on the new one, and was sliding on the pulley hub with sheaves.
    Some big fat guy materialized, "Hold it, Wait! You put thet 7.5 H.P. motor on there and you'll blow this compressor sky high!"
    I turned..."Who the F--- are you, and where'd you get that hat?" (really hard-fold straw hat, bent to look like some rodeo cowpoke, looked like an ugly Charlie Daniels) and No fiddle!
    "Yer gonna blow the lids right off'n thet compresser, cain't pump thet kinda extra horsepower in thar..."
    I showed him the plate. (1750 RPM)
    Then I showed him the pressure shutoff switch.
    THEN I told him to look around at some of the cars...Model T, Chrysler hemi...Model A roadster pickup, LS6...
    I don't know where he came from, he just left. Sheesh! I planned to dig a moat...

25. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just passed a little coffee through my nose.
    A moat with a drawbridge would be very traditional...

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. flatford39

flatford39

It's all about CFM. You can put any motor on it you want as long as the RPM stays the same and your fuse box can handle it.

You need to figure out the CFM from this thing first. I suspect it is pretty low. It will limit you from high CFM tasks like sand blasting.

27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the photos are deceptive on the size of the air heads....used to that commercial, industrial, institutional buildings had pneumatic controlled air conditioning. Many an air compressor like this ran to operate the controls....yep 3/4 HP sounds about right. Lead/lag operation of the motors and redundancy. I think if it were mine, sell it for a profit for something else especially if your 5 HP one does the job

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Did a little figuring, with some estimates and one of the compressors, comes out to about 4.5 CFM at 0 psi. Assuming the other is the same size that adds up to 9 CFM at 0psi. Not real big. That’s for sure.

Bones