Register now to get rid of these ads!

Compliments.....what happens when you drive your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 454navyss

454navyss

i hate when people do that shit. my 63 gets equal to or better gas mileage than most new cars and everybody gives me crap about driving it so much and "wasting gas". i made a 120 mile trip in my car and used less than 4 gallons of gas, even some brand new cars cant do that and certainly not with a v8

2. SlamIam

SlamIam

It's a boring world of new cars out there, and we're doing our part to wake people up and make the roads more interesting.

There's a guy I see on my commute most every day with a 67 stang and twice pipes, I just love to hear his wound up 289 go by, you just don't hear that sound on the highway any more with all the overdrives now, and it takes me back to the 60s. It's a special treat to see anything older than 20 years on the road these days.

I was fueling my bare metal F1 and a dad and his young son came up, looked it over, and he said to the boy, "That's the way you do it." Made my day.

Only negative thing said to me was from a guy teacher in town, he told me he can't believe the authorities allow my homebuilt truck on the same road with him because it threatens the lives of his family riding in his safe factory-built car. Sounds like a future politician to me.

My garage is small, so I've got the 31 coupe body temporarily strapped in the bed of the F1 while I work on the coupe's chassis. I can't leave the garage door open without drawing spectators, much less take it for a quick trip downtown. You just don't see F1's hauling around Model A bodies much anymore.

3. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I had a lady stop me in my 33 chevy on the next block over from where i live,and was yelling something,i could not hear with the lake headers right out side my doors,so she came closer to me and all i could hear was my headers and her mouth was moving,she moved even closer,still nothing.By this time when she came in closer she had her head stuck in my passenger door,she ask me "IS THAT A 57 CHEVY"....My reaction was YES HOW DID YOU KNOW..She said cause my brother used to have one..I even was asked one time when i had my car sitting in the drive way,a guy said HEY,I USED TO HAVE A CAR JUST LIKE THAT,i responded by,really...YEAH....After a long pause he asked..SO WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THAT....

4. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

i mostly get disaproving stares. sneers even! but that was pretty much my goal. most people want to know about that "souped up motor i got there". if it's a car guy i come clean, but if it's some dork i tell them it's a 327 with a "3/4 race cam"

5. ElTejano

ElTejano

Thats funny, my wife drives around with me sometimes on my 61 and she loves the attention the car gets. Being that its a old wagon and unique looking, people are always asking about it.

A lot of others love to go down memory lane right there on the spot thinking about the car their dad or mom drove them in, I love it.

6. shuweet61

shuweet61

I get people hanging out their car trying to take a picture of me while driving 70mph down the freeway.

7. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I laugh when they say,I had a motor with a four bolt main...

8. Rev. Whitewall

Rev. Whitewall

Same 3 questions damn near every time. What year is it? What size motor? Did you do it yourself? Then i either get 'What color you gonna paint it?' or 'You're gonna leave it flat black, right?'

9. Master of None

Master of None

Mainly that's a cute little truck, next would be how do you fit in there?, and occasionally nice little hot rod.

Attached Files:

10. sololobo

sololobo

I have been driving my 59 Ford Ranch Wagon a lot and people love it. It puts a smile on peoples faces and conjurs up memories. It is such a blast to drive the three on the tree and the mighty six tourqin like crazy. I enjoy these folks, ------yep----had one just like it only it was a 68, tu-tone blue, four door, and it had the third seat----yep just like yours!! I just smile and laugh to my self. Keep on driven'em. ~Sololobo~

Attached Files:

11. 59 brook

59 brook

was driving the 59 chevy home from sanford fl to hollywood fl around a 4 hr drive saw a car with miss plates roll down the window and the whole family was snapping pics of us rolling down the highway kids and all .

12. Scott F.

Scott F.

I drive a real pile. A P.O.S. 53 Dodge 4 door coronet with a staight six (not even the HEMI). It's in process. I STILL get the thumbs up, waves and greetings of a LOT of people. Both car guys and non car guys.

Scott

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  13. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

I hate priuses, I am stuck in a town full of them, they turn their nose up at me and I just turn my head and laugh. I want to make bumper stickers that say " My fuel pump is louder than your Prius!"

When I'm driving my 56 plymouth, alot of people really like it and get the usually nod, thumbs up, or wave. it's great! too bad alot of people think it's a 57 chevy :(

14. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Best so far was the chick on 6th av in Denver flash her tits at me.

15. Scott F.

Scott F.

That is NOT why I love this hobby...BUT...if it were to happen I would not complain!!!HAHA

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  16. lorodz

lorodz

i get the thumbs up and sometimes even the "do a burn out"

17. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I SEEN IT! i was in the passenger side lol

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

59 edsel, daily driver. Well, you can imagine what people say.

19. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

I mainly cruise in a blown big block bucket than runs low 10s.

On the street, I get thumbs ups from boy racers who smile and just enjoy cruising, and I get older folk who "had one just like you car once - but it was green and it was a truck and it was an Austin from England"........

20. Parking lots are the worse. I have had people stop in the Cross walk to stare, while I wait so I can find somewhere to park....

21. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Nearly every time I pull up to a Gas Station to Fill up I get the comment....... " Hey, ya want to swap with mine?"

I could have had a great collection of Honda's & Toyota's by now....

22. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I get alot of questions on where I buy my clothes.

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      2.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  23. 10secondA

10secondA

i have to say i love the reactions of little kids they are so genuine, me and my wife love seeing the kids point and wave when their parents are in the front with a grumpy "that thing is obnoxious" look on their face

24. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Little kids come up ,,holding their Mothers hands in the grocery store parking lot ,and say " LOOK MOMMY ,,A HOT WHEELS CAR !!! ",, ,,,gotta laff at that ,,,i let em sit in the "T" ,,BUT,,i tell em not to touch the hedders & motor cause it's HOT ,,but,, i let Mommy take a few pictures ,,
    Kinda warms my heart ,.,, little kids gets thier first taste of a real hot rod ,,

25. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually get the standard thumbs up or "nice car" when I drive the cabriolet.

But the best one was when a giant mordor Buick Electra full of wannabe home-boys pulled up next to me. The guy in the back called out "nice car, what year is it" and I told him 1936. The driver said "shit man, even that ugly mofo in the back seat could get a piece of tail if he had a ride like that". At that point in time I knew that I had arrived.

26. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I love it when my kids (15 & 17) are in with me and we pass someone and wave. All I hear from the back is "there goes dad and the "old car salute" again".

27. I remember a mother walking by, holding her daughters hand. The little girl said, "Look Mommy, that cars, tight!" Now, I always look for the childrens reactions!

28. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Just signed up here- been lurking awhile but this thread got me to sign up. I drive a 1950 Hudson sedan (original family car) quite regularly, and the comments always crack me up. My kids enjoy it, and have got used to it as well. Most of what I hear has been stated earlier in the thread, but here are some favorites;

5 year old girl on my soccer team " Wow, did you get your car from the junkyard?"
    me "Nope, its' just old"

idiot " You must get terrible mpg "
    Me - " about 17 MPG highway, better than your Expedition I guess?"

Thumbs up and big smile from a guy in a very new Porche vert...

Most boys under 10 "Wow, Doc Hudson "

General idiots " Who made Hudson, Ford or Chevy ?"
    or
    "What year is your Mercury?"

Or with regards to my Hudson truck

" I didn't know Hudson made a truck, "

There is always the snooty people who I assume think I'm poor and can't afford a "Nice" car. I'm just fine with that, they can keep their POS that is depreciating daily.

The best is always the kids. They love the old cars. I enjoy that because if they aren't exposed to the old cars we love in a good way, my Hudson will end up becoming at least 25 kia's and a couple Hyundais.

29. No compliments they just say put a little paint on it and it will be just fine!

30. dakota tom

dakota tom
    from dakotas

The nearly getting driven into thing has made me park the '48 Chevy woodie.:(That and the kid poking at it with a knife because he wanted to see if it was really made out of wood.:mad:

Got banned from driving my '69 SS396 Nova to work. Salesmen can't keep up with the kids wanting to buy it and the phone calls were tieing up the bussiness lines. Boss told me the car would be towed off the property if I drove it to work again.