Register now to get rid of these ads!

Complete parts build sheet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave36ford, Oct 21, 2009.

1. dave36ford

dave36ford
    from New Jersey

Does anyone have a build sheet with every part needed to build a street rod from the ground up? Looking to put together a complete list to plan out my project according to my budget. Thanks in advance, Dave.

2. squirrel

squirrel

that's funny right there....

3. Gator

Gator

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yeah that is funny,

first whats your budget ?? thats where you start

Your question can not be answered,you have give no details
    are you doing all teh work yourself ?

5. 61TBird

61TBird

[​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I dont have a street rod list but here's a simple Hot Rod list.

• Wheel bearings
    • Front Axle
    • Brake Drums
    • Brake Shoes
    • Wheel Cylinders
    • Brake Hoses
    • Backing Plates
    • Spindles
    • Kingpins
    • Front Spring
    • Front Shackles
    • Front Perches
    • Steering arm
    • Wheels
    • Tires
    • Grille Shell
    • Wishbones
    • Steering box
    • Steering Column
    • Steering wheel
    • Rear end
    • Rear Spring
    • Rear shackles
    • Ladder bars (or Similar)
    • Drive-shaft
    • Tranny
    • Engine
    • Radiator
    • Intake
    • Carb(s)
    • Linkage
    • Exhaust
    • Frame
    • Body
    • Taillights
    • Headlights
    • Dash
    • Gauges
    • Seats
    • Upholstery
    • Rear Mirror
    • Outside Mirror
    • Door handles
    • Gas tank
    • Fuel pump
    • Fuel line
    • Brake lines
    • Pedals
    • Master cylinder
    • Pressure valve
    • Harness
    • Glass
    • License Light / mount

8. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

Damn.... Beat me to it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Lets see a stock '32 ford for the frame, model a for the body, and a 40-48 ford for brake and rear axle stuff stuff, scrap out a wrecked '60 or so vette for the mill and 4 speed.....

10. Make budget add 10,000% to it and add three times the hours you think it will take and you might be close............

11. Fenders

Fenders

Good for you , nice list... pick your own make model maker supplier etc. and you will end up with a rod you can call your own....
    I would start with frame, body first.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

While y'all may pick at the catalog-rodder nature of the request.........

Give the idea the ole thousand foot overview. It's not a bad one. We all have these checksheets in our heads as we gather parts, and in many ways, it'd be nice to have a literal checksheet to stare at for brainstorming purposes.

How many times have we been in the garage and thought we had it all. Then you get 9 things strung together and have that "oh sh*t" moment? Progress stops til you hunt the forgotten jewel.

Food for thought.

Good luck with your project

13. squirrel

squirrel

I've tried putting the list on paper, a few times, and it never seems to end....there's always something else that I forgot/didn't think of/didn't work, etc.

It's a nice idea, good luck with it

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

You'll not get that pile of parts started without a battery!:D

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A "list" has too many variations and combinations to ever make a definitive list of EVERYTHING to build a rod.
    Might help to say your budget, skill level, kind of car desired, heck anything else to help narrow down a bit.

If you need a definitive list of each and every part, you might want to rethink building...

16. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

17. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Search the flea markets for a good used ratiator cap.
    Buy a quality built hot rod.
    Install the radiator cap.

If you have problems,..... replace the Radiator cap first.

18. Larry T

Larry T

That's pretty funny too.
    Larry T

19. OK. I'm not seeing any beer, cigars or hookers on this list. Or any first-aid supplies.:eek:

That's just what makes it damn near impossible to put together an accurate list for a project like this!:D

20. Larry T

Larry T

I think The Rodders Journal did a breakdown on what it costs. It was a pretty complete list and it would take your breath away. They did use all new, high end parts. It would give you a list of what you need though, you could make your substitutions and see where you're at. Then double it and you'll be about right.
    Larry T

21. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I believe whats requested is unobtanium....

Cause you just cant take into account the little nuts, bolts, weird hardware, fittings, odd ball seals, consumables, shit that breaks, shit you fuck up etc...hell, I'm looking at the light at the end of the tunnel and still getting nickle and dimed to death!

22. No problem, my Dad's a tv repairman, he has a killer set of tools.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crap I hate vista

As there is no real answer because every build is different I would say first sit down and list out what you want do to the car and what you want to have on it. That is each and every major component
    Such as
    29 A tudor sedan on a 32 frame with a 59A flathead, 5 speed trans, open banjo rearend and dropped I beam with steelies with big and littles.

then cost out each major component
    Body

Frame

engine

trans

rear end

brakes

Suspension

interior

wheels

tires

in each section put the costs for things in that section. I missed a lot of things but that is just the general outline.

You might also be able to figure out the have to have nows and the put it on laters.

You might have to have the internal pieces and labor for the engine but for say a flathead you might get by with the stock heads until the budget allows for the finned aluminum heads.

You might be able to get away with a set of correct size roller wheels and tires until the build nears completion or a real deal comes up. I've seen too many blow 6 months worth of hotrod budget on a set of wheels and tires only to not use them when the build is done because they are either out of style or their tastes have changed.

For starters you can catalog build it as someone said to get the general idea of the costs and then go from there when you actually build the car.

24. one37tudor

one37tudor

You might find some help at one of these sites? They all have some cost involved but it is minimal if it works for you? You can do a google search for them.

Auto restoration assistant
    rod plan 3.0 from xun performance systems
    auto resto
    collector car companion

Scott...

25. To start the build, I would say, first buy four NEW wide white wall tires of the wrong size. (You will then sell these tires and the red painted rims 8 years later, when the build is just about done.) Many hot rod builds have been started with first purchasing a set of tires/rims, or a body. If the build is just left on paper, and the projected budget - the build will never get started.

26. Seriously, this is probably the stupidest, vaguest, most asinine post in months - even more so than the "WIW?" threads! Do you REALLY expect an answer, other than the smart-ass responses you are getting? Every part, fastener, wiring bit? Seriously?:eek:

Tell you what...you need to figure out what KIND of vehicle you want to build, then figure a basic budget. What do you want to build? You DO have an idea of what you want to spend, right??? Once you have an idea of costs, triple that amount, then double that amount, and you MIGHT be close. Go from there. Your question, as you've asked it, is impossible to answer and ridiculous to start with.

What a maroon.:p

27. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Make your list right after you finish the build - that will be much easier !

28. FuelFC

FuelFC

THere are only two words that come to mind for this thread.

In the immortal words of Pat Foster...'DA FUCK'?

(thinking of your dad today Cole talkin on the phone with a few old cronies all bitching about the state of affairs in Glendora and Bristol)

29. striper

striper

30. turney33

turney33
    from pasco,wa

just pick up a copy of TRJ read and repeat!