Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Complete French Flathead Inquiry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Feldy, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Feldy

Feldy

Hello forum members. Hate to just jump on a forum like this to ask a random question but I don't know where else to turn for information.

Long story short. My Father purchased a few French Flatheads from Europe years ago. They are still sitting in the shipping crates with a paper tag and serial information.

I am just trying to find out what ballpark these engines are in. Is this an item people are looking for, are they common? If someone were interested in purchasing one I don't even know what to let one go for. Just trying to find out as much information as I can about these.

Again, sorry to just post like this in your forums. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Photo Album:
    https://imgur.com/a/TiRDg

2. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

The french flatheads come in two "sizes" What corresponds to the american 239 and 255 flatheads.
    They can be equipped for all sorts of applications and be both new and used, so it all depends what kind you have.

Maybe some photos of the casting numbers and tags would help determine just that.

Regards
    Thomas

Feldy likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

That crate is cool! Looks like a new engine to me. I can't set a value, but I can tell you that SFFlatheads has more for sale, so you could get a ballpark by asking their sale prices.

Feldy likes this.
  4. Feldy

Feldy

Thanks for the information! I have added more photos to that album at the link in my first post. Have pictures of serial numbers and a tag that is in French. Thanks again!

5. Are you in theUS?

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not legal in the SCTA...

7. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

It's an interesting one. Looks to not have the governor on the back or waterproof distributor/plug wires. Almost ready for a car as-is.

8. av8

av8

Yes, I repeat this question. I'm interested in an engine or two.

mike in tucson likes this.
  9. These engines were originally imported from France by my friend,Brent Mullins. They arrived in Galveston,Tx in 1999 and shipped to College Station,Tx over the next year or so. They started arriving in 15 shipping containers. Approximately 250 long blocks and 400 new bare blocks in crates arrived along with new rods,pistons, gasket sets,h2o pumps,flywheels,ring gears,valves, guides and anything else necessary to make them useable. I was the salesman for the project and the first time they sold to Halibrand out of Kansas who was partners with Motor City Flathead out of Dundee,Mich. They didn't totally pay for the engines and Brent had to go to Kansas to retrieve the leftovers. They remained in Texas for a number of years and then was sold/traded to SF flatheads out of California. At one time in their infancy in Texas, I was buying complete long blocks for $1500 and selling them at Texas swap meets For $1800 as singles. Those days are long gone as the prices have ESCALATED way above the old prices. FYI--the complete long blocks came with an ALUMINUM pan in the style of the 59a blocks.I know of these facts because I was there.

Texas Webb and pat59 like this.
  10. Feldy

Feldy

Had no idea this thread was still going, never got notifications :/ Thank you all for the extra information here, even if I am getting it an entire year later! I will make sure to adjust options to be notified of replies moving forward.

My Father still has one of these left, which is the one in the pictures I had provided. What’s strange is these weren’t bought from TX. My Grandfather in England was able to broker the deal on these flatheads some time ago now. My Father and I went down to the port to pick these up straight off a shipping boat way back when. Originally had several of these but he is holding onto this one until the right offer comes through.

He has hos last one listed on eBay. I believe completes like this are near gone at this moment in time that’s for sure, at least in this run. We know the price has elevated on these but it’s just hard to guess to what. He let one go for $6,500 a couple years ago. Unsure what these are going for this year though.

Just wanted to reply and apologize for not bumping this thread when people responded. Luckily someone sent a PM.

Ebay link is: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/17334286715

Reserve has been set high on purpose. My Father would rather speak to people on the phone. He’s not too much into the techy stuff. eBay posting contains newest pictures of engine.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018