Register now to get rid of these ads!

Competition Coupes post some pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I was thinking maybe the 2nd one is a Legends sedan body like this one (?)

Attached Files:

2. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

hey Jay send a private ,,I need the number again

3. Nope, she's an Anglia. I had a full body mold for 40 years and built quite a few of them. While highly modified, they really look to be Anglia to me.

Like the football ref says on TV, upon further review, the damn thing does look like the '37 Ford Legend flat back sedan.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  4. Rich...ill tell you how it is anyways...
    Norm Reiss was from Cincinnati...my dad and his family are from Cincy. Norm and my grandpa who ran t/g and later t/f and a handfull of other racers from Cincinnati all raced/partied/hung out together..had their little club "The Scrunch for Lunch Bunch"...Stereo-Pak was an eight track stereo store in the 60s that Norm ran in Madeira Ohio...in the back and underneath Norm had his machine/race shop. Before his time in comp eliminator, he built this car in late 60 early 61...sold it by 64. He kicked ass with it, got the top points award and top ten NHRA listing in 62. I accumulated pictures and through hearing stories of Norm's antics,my family history with him, calling him,etc, wanted to build the car. Came across the original axle and some other parts...Norms old helmet..bla bla...Long story short me and my old man built the car over last winter with some parts from the original. That answer your question?
    T. Hilton.

5. Perfectly. The devils always in the details. Having the total story makes the car even more special. I could see that there were some differences in the two, but it looks like you all did a super job building it to a high standard. Can't wait to see it in person and maybe line up in the other lane with my Fiat. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

7. Model "Eh"

Model "Eh"
    from Denver

I spoke one time with Gary Light, who said he built the car and the body (wood and fiberglass) sometime in the early '80s. I knew it was a flathead car originally but didn't know about the wild turbo setup!
    All I have left of the original car is the body; the chassis I have is not the original one Gary ran. Mine is a lot older and very beat; I'll end up using it as a pattern to build another. The injected Hemi you see in the pics will do double duty in the Sedan and also in a Henry J I'm just getting started on.

8. HRS

HRS

Love the Comp. Coupes!

9. madjack

madjack

not a coupe but A/C. Just hanging out in my shop.
    If any body knows anything about this car, I'd sure appreciate knowing it.
    The last is a Don Ewald photo taken in 1964

Attached Files:

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

man, they sure built some crazy shit in the late 50's-early 60's!

11. This is a recently completed flathead powered Model A by EJ Kowalski in PA. Built in the style if the first rear engine comp coupes run at the drags, Dry Lakes and Bonneville.
    Driver under the hood, engine in the front seat and rear end, where else, in the back.
    Ed senior seems to be taking a nap under the tent while Ed junior (EJ) is back by the trailer.

Editorial Comment: This is the only reason to chop a Model A this low.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  12. Question for the interested viewers. Should we expand this thread to include modified roadsters? Since NHRA did it in '63, and they are basically the same dragster chassis with little bodies, what do you all think?

13. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Absolutely, If nhra included them throw'em in. Great thread keep it going.:)

14. For Fiat Gasser Bob, who's really a dragster guy at heart, here's the first of my modified roadster photos from my files. It's the way the prior owner of my Woody chassis, Fiat comp coupe ran the car in the mid-80's out of the Buffalo area.
    The last photo is the only one I have found of Woody Gilmore. He's the skinny fellow on the left, but back in the 60's most all of us were skinny.
    The engine & Mr. Ed trailer are now up in Canada in Rick Proctor's collection.

Attached Files:

15. oj

oj

Just a bit OT Rich but that shot of EJ's car shows his dad Ed sitting in the background, sure would be nice if we could get a shot of his car in here. Its' a real sweetie. You got one to share? Love your photos.

16. if were doin roadsters...A/C Norm Reis...
    [​IMG]

17. Someone was offering these prints on E-bay recently. Sorry, but I didn't keep the sellers info.

Attached Files:

18. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

..cc

Attached Files:

19. ProEnfo:

Do you know what body is on those rails of the Hollis Brother Dragster?

20. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

American Bantam

cc

Attached Files:

21. I found a few more really vintage photos most likely from the '60-'63 era.
    The little coupe/sedan? looks to be a real bare bones racer. Note the bald tires on the un-sprung trailer. I love the mail slot back window.
    The '23 roadster in the center was owned by Tony Waters.
    The bottom 3 photos were all shot at York US30 at an NHRA regional meet in '62.
    The light blue injected car was George Weiler's Smarty Pants who often ran it as a comp coupe and dragster on the same day. In a matter of seconds and a couple wing nuts and presto, 2 trophies.

The back of the photo of the dark blue Bantam says "Mr Pete". No other info.

I believe the sedan is the same Anglia posted above from Somerville, Mass before the nose was installed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  22. madjack

madjack

A few images that I've kept for ideas to body the woody car

Attached Files:

23. It's too cold in Georgia (26) to be in the garage, so here's a few more I found on the net.
    The Custom Auto Body Fiat from PA has been shown on this thread before, but this shot was taken when Fred Zipp took it out to Colorado for a divisional meet. I would love to know if it has survived.

How 'bout a twin engine, quad slick Messerschmidt Comp Coupe?

Check out the lineart on the Isky box. Yup a Comp Coupe on the right.

Legendary Bean Bandits traditional yellow roadster from San Diego.

Attached Files:

24. Still cold outside....
    First a Mid West Bantam at Union Grove
    From the North East the Strokers Car Club #99 full bodied Bantam from Lynn Mass
    Unidentified coupe with serious Hemi
    Pete Millar's Fiat on a trip to Sweden where it's second owner from England sold the car.
    The well traveled Holly Hedrick's '27 roadster
    Bottom left is Ray Godman's Memphis based '27 Ford Bo Weevil
    The best of the roadsters, Speed Sport from Pheonix

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  25. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Rich, I love your pics and your passion for Comp. cars. Waaay back, when I was a youth sometimes the tech guys would find something wrong with your Altered and make you run Comp. Or, if the Altered class was too strong, a little tweak could put you in Comp where there might only be one other car.:D

26. noboD

noboD

Thanks for posting all the col comp. coupe pics. Rich, there's a Messerschmidt in Mart's new thread of Vintage pics, differant car.

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You Know.........none of you are helping me maintain my focus here at home by posting all these killer pics.............keep um coming....Littleman

28. Sorry to be messing with Littlemans concentration, but I'm thinking (hoping) just a few more photos might push him into a comp coupe/roadster project.

I'm going to add some additional photos of cars already posted. I can't believe you all will mind seeing different views of some really cool rides.

2 additional shot of the Coburn Glaze Messerschmidt.
    2 shots of Lonny Butts blown Chrysler Fiat
    Lou Kamm's injected Hemi from Colorado
    Pete Millar boiling the hides in the Chicken Coupe
    Is it a comp coupe? Well it's Woody Gilmore's streamliner which one could think of as the ultimate aero coupe body. Body by Jocko, engine by Frank Cannon and driven by Pete Ogden.
    Yet another Bantam carrying the number 99, but this is a West Coast car.
    Not sure who's roadster this is, but I love the push car.
    Unknown '23 roadster, with a tiny T radiator shell, making lots of smoke.
    Al Berger's '23 roadster with flip canopy.
    Gary Cagle's Newhouse Automotive sponsored '23 T

Attached Files:

29. Jim Fox & Dennis Holding would go on to part of the Frantic Four, but started out together on this really nice modified roadster.
    The first 5 shots show just how well designed and slippery this roadster was.

The final car is a fairly conventional '23 owned by Fred Dobney, but with an early chain drive blower system.

Attached Files:

30. In the early 50's and 60's it was not unusual for cars to run at the drags, El Mirage and Bonneville. Here are a few coupes and roadsters shot on the salt in 1954, but they could have easily been at Lions the next weekend.

Attached Files: