Register now to get rid of these ads!

Competition Coupes post some pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Almost forgot one. The newly restored Gizzle Hopper was at Bowling Green AND the CHRR. Based on a widened '32 Ford Vicky body from Speedway, best part about this little jewel is they are a HAMB family.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

Great pics. I really dig comp. coupes.

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks for the pics! enjoyed pic of berglers crosley, first i had seen of it. he was a regular at our old track, us 30 in nw indiana. he still is very active restoringand building cars. i know a lot of his friends are on the board. im buildin a chassis research car, and thinking about a crosley body or it. thanks guys

4. Not to be nit picking, but Berglers Gratiot Auto sponsored car is and always was the smallest bits of a American Austin Bantam. I always wanted to do a Comp Wagon Crosley wagon but never could come up with an affordable body to buy or one to borrow to pull a mold to do in fiberglass.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. JimSibley

JimSibley

does mine count?

Attached Files:

6. Technically no...driver position should be behind the rear end to be a true Comp Coupe. Now if the engine setback is more than 25% of the wheelbase, then you're in like Flynn.

7. I dug up some pretty old examples. Note that some of these builders had yet to learn that beauty and proportion counts.
    The first 2 are a Bantam with '40 Ford hoods owned by a guy named Gorman. Photos of the Loukas-Preising Bantam has been posted earlier, but I really liked this side shot.
    No info on the cool Crosley.
    The last Bantam with the duck nose was owned by Belmont Sanchez who had a vrey active and successful drag racing and Bonneille career running radical Studebakers.

Attached Files:

8. titus

titus

this is a bad ass ol car

the funny thing is Jen one day has an old dragster seat that she is patching up, she says its in Oakdale (where i grew up) so its like hmmm wonder what car that is

1 month later where at gsta looking at that car ans shes says, "hey, thats the seat i fixed!"

jeff

9. The Comp Coupe's just keep on coming....another view of the Drifter and two very faded shots of the Zombie from the late 50's. This was a steel body complete with the original factory door handles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  10. Rich:

Thanks for all the great photos. You really added the coooool factor to this thread!

11. bobw

bobw

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

13. guffey

guffey

[​IMG]

14. Model "Eh"

Model "Eh"
    from Denver

Mine, if I can ever get 'round to it..

Attached Files:

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

16. bossmanshags

bossmanshags

Nice to see another pic of the Loukas & Preising car. Those guys are really cool, and it sounds like they enjoy getting out to fire the thing up. Maybe should invite those guys to my next BBQ. It's cool that Jen got her hands on the seat. I think this is one of the most bitchin' old race cars in MN.

17. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

[​IMG]

Sent to me in an E-mail I don't know any details.

18. Nice Hat the Flagman is wearing!!

19. One little photo just ain't enough. Quite teasing us and post the whole story and lots more photos on your fabulous C-dan......PLEASE

20. The hits (and comp coupes) just keep on coming.......

The first Fiat owned by Lonnie Butts is a pretty standard setup but for the plexiglass nose wing.
    The Progress Unlimited Austin Bantam photo was taken at a recent Cali auto show.
    I've always wondered how the Rakers fabricated the round rear on their Fiat.
    Nice weed burners on the last Fiat taken in Colorado.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009

21. Keeps the slicks warm all the way down the 1,320:D

22. The Progress looks very nice.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

LIONS, 1963, all photos same day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lonnie Butts at LIONS photo take from the catwalk

[​IMG]

24. 62 or 63 issue of hot rod....drag coverage from an ohio track...thompson...i think i recognize that sedan in the other lane:D
    T.Hilton

25. Fill us in on how you came up with that vintage C-dan. It's OK if your's is a clone or tribute car, BUT if its' the real deal, I for one would love to know the rest of the story.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

From Jim Marletts site:

http://flatheaddrag.com/97gb/grtbenda.html

Attached Files:

27. The photos from flatheaddrag.com and the story behind the mad scientist who built that twin turbo flathead need to be featured on on their own thread.

Now I really want to know the rest of the story.

28. I found so more......you all knew I would!!!

The Austin Bantam photo is from the mid 60's and I'm told Lyle Smith the original owner/builder still has it in Wichita, KS
    The second is yet another rare Anglia sedan bodied comp car, again from Kansas.

Attached Files:

29. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

WOLOANSKI still alive and well