Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods compatability of early Ford car parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JWII, Apr 26, 2019.

1. JWII

JWII

Odd question, but here goes.
    Will a Model A transmission couple up with a 1946 Ford rear end torque tube?

Thanks John

2. I believe the short answer is no.

3. 42merc

42merc

Yes it will.
    Use the A clamshell.

4. Post #3 has it right but if we had the whole story about what you are doing other problems might surface.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. JWII

JWII

Not familiar with the term clamshell? Could you elaborate please? This is a project I'd like to build.
    Not a car but a replica of a homebuilt tractor my dad had around when I was a kid. He used a 1946-48 Ford
    rear end and transmission. It actually had 2 shift levers of course because the transmission came from a column shift of course. You had to remember to make sure on lever was in neutral before shifting the other into a gear.

6. It is the part that holds the end of the torque tube to the rear of the transmission. They were different between the Model A and the '32-48. See part # B 4520 here: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_rearend-pics/ford-rearend-32-48-A.jpg

Charlie Stephens

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And also change the inner cup underneath that. The ball stuff is the same, only bolt pattern differs.

8. alchemy

alchemy

A clamshell has 6 mounting bolts to hold it to the trans, '32 on up uses 4. Use the clamshell that matches the transmission.

9. JWII

JWII

Okay, I see it now. Thanks John

10. I had a Model A with stock rear end and flatty with '46 transmission so it should work the other way around.