Register now to get rid of these ads!

communications

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Cool 33, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Cool 33

Cool 33

I guess I'm stupid, but, I don't need to start a conversation, I just have a question about something for sale. Says that I don't have enough priviliges to communicate with a seller..?? What privileges? I've been on the HAMB for a couple of years. What more does it take? No need to even get on if you can't ask questions of a seller and buy stuff. I'm not afraid to list my phone number, so why doesn't everyone? Nothing beats a simple phone call to ask quetions and make the deal to buy. Guess there is no need for the "underpriviliged' like me to bother with the HAMB anymore!

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

read the rules...if not see ya

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

7 posts since 2008.........must be the quiet type.:D

4. You have to get in touch with the seller by way of a "conversation". It's always been the rule (often broken, perhaps by yourself) that we weren't supposed to post on a classified, unless it was your ad and you were bumping it after the obligatory 3 days. Now since the most recent re-vamp you can't post on someones ad at all, thus solving a lot of problems. As stated above, read the rules, it's pretty clear.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. No one can post on a classified ad,you have to sent the poster a communication (What use to be a PM)

Not trying to be difficult but if you don't want to participate the way the Hamb is set up your wasting your time complaining here. HRP

6. Muttley

Muttley

I cant believe Ryan hasn't used either my suggestion or something similar so these threads would vanish like a fart in the wind.

7. 117harv

117harv

No disrespect to the OP, but after you saw that you couldn't reply to an add you found your way here to the (questions and suggestions) page to as why. Yet you didn't notice the large red stop sign on the classifieds with bold heading, "can't reply to adds" ?

8. F&J

F&J

"I'm not afraid to list my phone number, so why doesn't everyone?"

Yes, I'll list my number on selling a 50 dollar part, then get calls from the west coast at 2AM asking if I'd take 15 bucks shipped

9. A PM (conversation) does not always work out..I sent a seller a PM three weeks ago and no response yet,,I cant tell even if he has read my PM yet.

10. Muttley

Muttley

I really liked the "PM read reciept" from the old board.

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

If the PM doesn't work, what makes you think replying to the ad would be any better? All it would serve to do is bump an ad for a guy that doesn't keep track of his ads.

12. Gen Gow,Did I ask to be able to reply on his thread??? All I wanted to know if the SOB read my PM...

13. Lol, classic. :)

I'll ask my girl "where is the party what time do we need to leave?"

And She tells me what time " it" starts, what time so-n-so is getting there, what time it ends, and by what time we should be back home. Maybe what I should wear, and if her car needs gas.
    Not one inkling of what time we need to leave or where it's at.

I called a new pizza shop and asked how big was their "jumbo" pizza? He says its 8 slices. I say "great, but I can cut a house into 8 slices and you still wouldn't know how big the house was"

The old pop up, and receipt was great.
    It's should come back.

Muttley likes this.
  14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

The thread is about communicating via a reply to a classified thread. So I answered in accordance with the original intent of the thread, figuring that you were too...

15. Mr Gen Gow,If you had read all the replies on this thread,you would not have "That" intent in your mind...As of today no one.(moderator or Ryan) has replied to my question. It would be beneficial for a buyer to know if his (Conversation) has been read.or if the reciever of it is just flat out ignoring it..if the seller is just ignoring a PM,He must not be to interested to sell his item...Therefore I will look elsewhere..

16. Unfortunately, we can't tell you whether he saw your conversation,....neither can we tell if someone views the conversations we (as moderators/staff) send. Not sure if that's something @Ryan can get going, but I've tagged him on this post so he can see and answer.

I believe that most message board software allows the user to accept or reject a "read receipt", so having that capability doesn't help much if said receipt is rejected.

In the future, if you have a specific question unrelated to the original post, please help us out by sending us a message...with the volume of posts we read/review/attempt to answer, it makes it much less confusing for all parties...know that we're here to help!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  17. I'm sure you remember the "OLD" PM had a feature where we could see if our message had been read..
    Sorry to bother yall...

18. Not a bother at all! The old system did indeed have that feature...unfortunately it also allowed the recipient to accept or reject that feature, so it wasn't foolproof...might be something the boss man adds later.

Send me a conversation with the seller's username and a short description of the item and I'll see if I can help you connect with him.

Gary