Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coming over from the Garage Journal...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Z=ke, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Z=ke

Z=ke
    from Long Beach

I heard about this place and its reputation. I know a few members from other forums and in person. I think I understand you don't want to hear about anything automotive unless it's older American iron, not sports cars, not 4-wheelers, VW's and definitively not Rolls Royce limos. ;):D

Well, I'm fresh out of things that qualify, but I'd like to enjoy the forum. I wouldn't have joined, but I couldn't search and I still can't view the FAO's.

Anyway, I'll try to hang back and look around. I'm Zeke on a lot of forums, but you guys have a Zeke here already. So call me Z=ke (however you say that).

2. Hemiman51

Hemiman51

Welcome Zeke, from the east bay Ca.

3. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hi Zeke,
    You seem to know more about the forum than a lot of new guys - good for you.
    Enjoy your time here - it's a great place.
    Cheers.

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Welcome from another member of the GJ forum.

5. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Welcome from Alaska.

6. Z=ke

Z=ke
    from Long Beach

OK, I'm getting familiar with the site. I found some of the info on the creed of vehicle that the JJ supports. I think I may be on the cusp here, so I might need a little advice.

I have a '44 Ford GPW that most call these days a Jeep. Yes, it's a 4X4, but not to me. Here's the backstory: it was purchased in nearby Lakewood CA in 1960 by my FIL at the urging of his hot rodding son, my wife's eldest brother. Some of his friends had already put a 283 Corvette in it.

Later on, the drive train had been replaced with Dana's from a CJ5 and it had a 350 tranny. The rear axle was mounted aft of the center point on the leaf springs, the rear fenders cut out for big mudders and the carb stuck through the hood with a plastic scoop over it. IOW, it had been totally rednecked.

I set out to just get it decent and ended up with the body off the frame. I bought a used Ford 3 speed and a Dana 90 transfer case along with a Kennedy bell housing. It 's got a Chevy flywheel with a Ford disc. I did a lot of fabrication and bought some kits to put 3 pedals back in it along with new steering from Flaming River. Found old Stewart Warner gauges and a few other items from WWII Jeep parts houses all over the country. It's got a small body HEI dizzy conversion and a Duntov 30/30 cam grind done by Clay Smith. Hugger headers and a Painless wiring harness rounds out the list AFA I can remember. And, of course, there was a ton of body work to do. I made some small panels to replace the ones cut out and some rusted ones here and there.

I put it together in a way that my wife's dad would have. I had Circle Racing wheels welded with a custom offset to keep the Bridgestone M&S tires under the car. It has a "skinny" look to it. Lots of powder coating and very little chrome except for the stock front bumper. Not a billet piece to be found. It's painted Coke red. The whole process took a year of just about every weekend and some weeknights. It's basically a casual piece to take out on a Sunday now and then. It never sees dirt and is not an off road vehicle to me. It could just as well be a '41 Ford roadster with a SBC, but it's not.

What do you think? IN with "traditional" or out on its nose?

7. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Welcome to the HAMB

8. Steadfast mfg

Steadfast mfg

Welcome from the middle of Ohio . Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.