Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Coming out of the shadows

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rat_rod_yeti, Sep 17, 2018.

1. rat_rod_yeti

rat_rod_yeti

Hello everyone. I joined the forum a few years ago, and have popped in a few times looking for info and inspiration. Finally i have something worth posting. This is my '54 dodge crusader coupe.

HUGE question i need answered though, is there any particular vehicle that people like to pull the fuse panel and or wiring from to use for a hot rod harness? This car is a 6v system and i need to upgrade to 12v. I know there are dozens of aftermarket hot rod wiring kits, but i live close to a really cheap wrecking yard and im on a bit of a budget

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and CudaChick1968 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

it's a real pain to adapt a harness from another car.

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Depending on condition, Why Not convert to 12? Providing it's not completely intercoursed, Switch bulb's, alternator, starter, resistor for gauges.

F&J likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’d get one of the kits with more fuses than you need to allow for expansion. There are several good ones out there. I used the Speedway kit, others have used Rebel, American Autowire,lots of good ones out there. Get one that has the wires labeled every foot or so and it makes it easier to do.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

many parts can be harvested from other cars and put to use - but, electrical parts can be more trouble because of aging wires, connectors decaying, etc - can do new wiring without a kit if you are the type of person that can logically think things thru - look at speedway motors, and others,for a good basic booklet "How to Wire Your Streetrod From Start to Finish" (do not let name scare you away) by Jack Sweeden

6. I used a fuse box out of a parts car and made my harness off of that. My 57 Fargo didn’t have a fuse box originally

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Back in the late 70's I had very little money so I carefully stripped out the wiring from a mid 70's Chev 1/2 ton that was wrecked, everything from one end of the truck to the other. I didn't cut any wires, just systematically removed each item. Label EVERYTHING! I also drew a complete sketch of it in the truck to make it easier to visualize when re-using. It was very easy to then fit it into my 51 Pontiac, almost as if it was designed for it. Everything was easy to adapt although I did swap to a voltmeter instead of the ammeter. Have not had a minutes trouble electrically with it since.
    Today, with a few more bucks in my pocket I would likely buy a quality wiring kit but wouldn't hesitate to do what I did before if money was an issue. The nice part of the mid 70's truck is that it pretty much matches the level of technology that I want in my rods.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Please do it once and do it right. Do you want to be left on the side of road in a bad neighborhood or crappy weather or do you want to up your % of enjoyment ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

All I have to add is...cool car!

What part of Ontario do you live in?

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've adapted a few used wiring harnesses into other vehicles, it can be done.
    However finding a used harness that still has good wires and connections, that has not already been hacked up, and doesn't have some kind of computer/black box is much harder then it was 15 years ago.

For the most part, you will need to find a harness out of a car or truck built before the mid 1970s, and if you can find one of those 50 year old harnesses, the likely hood of the wires and connections not being corroded or the instillation falling off or being brittle is not very high. Save the money up and buy a new wiring harness. Your probably don't need one with more then about 8 fuses, and those are usually the less expensive kits. Gene

rat_rod_yeti likes this.
  11. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Electronic ignition came on the scene in 1973 at Mopar and by 74 or 75 by everyone else. All kinds of crazy stuff started showing up in wiring harnesses after 73-74 as the car companies tried to deal with the new emission laws that were going in to effect. Gene

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've adapted wire harnesses, done harnesses from scratch, and for the price of a new harness from any of the hot rod wiring companies , it just Isn't worth the bother to try and adapt.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. For the time and aggravation you'll save, just go with a basic wiring kit from someone like EZ wiring. I used a 12 circuit kit for my Model A and it all worked the first time and has been trouble free for 15 years.

rat_rod_yeti likes this.
  15. I agree with most here. I've done both. Buy a harness. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

16. belair

belair

Look at some of the projects squirrel has pulled off. If he says it's a pain, you better find another solution.

No Time and rat_rod_yeti like this.
  17. adam401

adam401

If the wiring is intact convert the car as is. I've done it, a million other people have done it. There s tons of info online.

As a guy who's driven plenty of 6 volt cars also I'd say if you're new to this stuff and if the harness is intact just run it 6 volts for now. I'm sure you'll hear a lot about how the lights won't be bright enough and stuff but whatever. That's how it was built. Its like why turn this into a project just get it on the road and go from there. Shit doesn't have to be perfectly how you want it at first. Good luck.

18. rat_rod_yeti

rat_rod_yeti

Brighton. Its about 1.5hrs east of Toronto

19. rat_rod_yeti

rat_rod_yeti

I considered that, but this car sat in a chicken coupe since the mid 70's. All the wiring and connectors are garbage

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Sometimes it's not an option... Hear that..

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you can wire, go for it.. Rewarding to build your own harness.. Did it on many of my own builds before wiring kits became so plentiful...