Register now to get rid of these ads!

Come make fun of this guy...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by TheUndeadElvis, Mar 29, 2021.

1. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

... this guy being me.

First off, hi guys! I'm new. Brand new. And I'm totally that guy that's watched one (hundred) too many shows on Motorweek and thought "I should do that!" Well, being said dumb dumb, I dropped $650 on the first pile of rust I came across, and now I'm sitting in the garage with my head in my hands thinking, "what have I gotten myself into?"

Realistically, I might (probably will) fail, but I intend to learn a lot as I do. I bought this as a father and son project to share with my 9 year old, and if we do nothing other than beat on it with a hammer and burns holes through it with a welder, as long as we do it together it's money well spent to me.

Anyway, for your amusement, here's my $650 37 Dodge pickup. There's a bed that goes with, I just haven't picked it up yet. Bottom two to five inches of the cab all the way around is pretty eaten up, no floors, no hood or grill. What you see in the pics is all I have. Anyway, I hope to spend some time here over the next couple years giving you guys some laughs to brighten your days!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hope you got a 25% off discount cause there's 25% missing off the bottom. Lol

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.
  3. That thing should practically build itself...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

scotty t, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Welcome to the HAMB!

It’s a start! What’s there isn’t all that bad....you’ll have some fun tracking down the other bits and pieces and feel thrilled every time you and your son score another needed part.

Ray

5. We've seen guys start with less... and worse looking too...

This IS the place for good info though. Good luck, and post your progress.

6. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I'd say, yes it's a start but you've got a ways to go. I'm not sure this project is for a newcomer. Words of wisdom from my life's experiences, I'd look for a running driving car or truck that you could fire up once in a while maybe even drive it a little while you live and learn about Hot Rods and then you may have a better idea of what you would like. Good Luck!

Hnstray and TheUndeadElvis like this.
  7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

8. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

good luck and have fun - do it simple /safe

TheUndeadElvis likes this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB, Elvis.
    Head in your hands...
    You're funny... LOL.
    Really cool that you're getting your young son involved. Make some wonderful memories.

I agree that you might think about getting a different project. Considering what some people like these days, I imagine the frame and truck body might re-sell fairly easily. And if you shop around and you're careful about making rash decisions, I'm sure you could find a more complete project that you can afford. Maybe even something that runs and you can work on it while you enjoy driving it.

Or get out the Sawzall. :D

Good luck with everything!

10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. To see what you are in for check out this link on body repair panels. Auto Body Panels & Rust Repair Panels - Classic 2 Current Fabrication . You need to redo the body first and set it and the bed on the frame. Then you look for complete rear end wit brakes and front end with brakes. You could run it with or without fenders. Then what engine & trany and what it will tame to make them compatable & fit.
    For body parts inside & out check out www.kanter.com and www.robertsmotorparts.com as they both specialize in old mopar. Is that an original frame?? By checking out parts from above links you should begin to get an idea of what this builds cost might be.
    Good luck, Jim

11. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes!

I am a DIY guy through and through. I also have a long history of jumping in the deep end (I can't swim fyi) and getting in over my head. To me that's part of the fun. Discovering you can't do something, but maybe pulling it off in the end (maybe not). I also have wrenched on cars as a hobby for 30 years, just never had a project of this magnitude.

This is counter to what Jim suggested, but would it be completely ill advised to start with putting some suspension parts on the frame? Then I could either tackle the cab if the wind blows me that way, or look for another body to set on it. I know all the parts have to work together, so mocking up suspension and changing body mid project could be a recipe for disaster.

Thanks again!

12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

What's to make fun of, a starts a start. The thing I've learned is once you get a project vehicle they breed like bunnies and the next thing you know you have two cab's three sets of doors etc. etc..
    Keep look'n you will find nicer pieces and have fun doing it.

13. Guys here on the hamb have built nice cars and trucks with a lot worse starting point. HRP

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My eyes may be crooked, but that frame looks, uh..... Not straight? Am I off?

15. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

I think it's just a bad angle on the pic. I'll put a tape on it from corner to corner later and see what that looks like.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  16. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Hello, Nothing like jumping in! not sure where you reside but if you didnt get a good title proceed with caution. You dont want to get too much money wrapped in something you cant title. Some states have procedures so you can get a street rod or homebuilt title but you need a receipt for everything and I mean everything.

Big mike 1968 and TheUndeadElvis like this.
  17. AMEN! Welcome to the club from Arkansas.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

Thanks for this info! I'm in Indiana and did look into it briefly. Looks like we are a state where I will have to keep receipts of every item that goes into it.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you're right." -Henry Ford

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mere fact that you know to measure the frame corner to corner tells me that you'll be able to figure everything out. Besides, you've got the HAMB now.
    For $650, it's not a bad start.
    Good to see that the windshield frame is present and intact.
    Did you get a title?

21. Graffiti coupe

Graffiti coupe

Good luck with your build.

22. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

No title unfortunately. I'm in Indiana and I just joined a local Facebook group to see what kind of luck folks have had getting a title for a build like this before I start sinking much time or money in this. At the very least I'm sure I have to keep every receipt. Hopefully it's not impossible.

23. The ghost of Rudy casts a long shadow.

24. TBob66

TBob66

Can't stress enough the need to get a title secured before you invest another dollar. You've got an old rotted cab and someone's hand built frame. The path to a title can be very long. Really depends on locale.

Are you a decent welder? If not, spend your time there. Find a local community college or such and take a course. Or two. Then buy a welder and start practicing. Time spent there first will make the project enjoyment more likely.

25. Come across the state line, i can title a potato in Ky, they just want the tax money here. Welcome to the hamb sir. I've built quite a few 40-47 Ford truck cabs that was missing a few inches of the bottom like yours. Just cut it off and cap the bottom. I used to buy 2" wide bar, .120 thickness, in 20' sticks, and used that on the bottom. Good luck and kudos for dragging your boy out in the shop!

26. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

Thanks so much! That was an option I was considering. I have a brother in Lexington and I thought I could trailer it down down and have him do it maybe. Appreciate the insight!

27. TheUndeadElvis

TheUndeadElvis

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.