Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Come go for a ride!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyJohn, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I had originally intended to post this just as something kinda fun to share, but in addition to that if you wish you can help me diagnose a problem. If you listen closely to the garbled audio at about 1:20 into it you can begin to hear a high pitched squeal. It must be loud because the car is loud as hell (even with baffles).I only have about 250 miles on the car. EVERYTHING is new in the drivetrain. I have a pretty good idea what it is, but then again I could stand to learn a lot! A few details; 10 1/2" Centerforce dual friction clutch,hydraulic clutch with external slave,TKO 600, Ford 9" rear with Detroit Lockers and 4:11 gears,engine shouldn't matter (listen to the vid:rolleyes:)

Me personally...I think it has something to do with the disc brakes. They are not grabbing funny, but I noticed about 3 small grooves in the passenger front. After 3 years of working on this thing I can't remember if they were there before or not. (The front discs are not new)

Just hoping maybe one of the HAMB oracles will bestow a bit of insight to me or if your not up to that just enjoy the ride! Sorry, I haven't learned how to embed a video yet so please follow the link. Thanks, John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHykJq-hUSk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. 454navyss

454navyss

it definitely sounds like a metal to metal sound. good luck getting it figured out.

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the ride..........heard it as well. Maybe this will make it easier to view

4. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for the cool trip, nice job holding the cam steady. Very cool hotrod, good luck finding your problemo. ~Sololobo~

5. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

My wife was holding the camera if you can believe that! Woman has to have a set of stones, but I can't seem to find them. She was in a terrible accident about 7 years ago where she rolled her truck several times and really shouldn't be here, but walked away pretty much unscathed. She blew my mind when she pulled her ear plugs out because she wanted to hear the engine lol. Told me go ahead and have a little fun she was good. The part in the video where I turn the car around and juice it a bit I looked over and she was just grinning ear to ear. I had a couple of men that I gave rides to hanging on to the cage for their lives lol. I have been smiling all day thinking about her.

6. lorodz

lorodz

sounds beasty ..congrats

7. Congrats! ...on the car AND being lucky enough to find that lady! :D

One other possible thing to check (besides that brake rotor) is the clearance on your fan pully to the pump, as mine made a very similar squeal until I swapped out for another pully (it was just touching the pump casting a smidge on rotation :().

Happy hunting!

-Dave

8. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I appreciate all the good ideas guys. Dave, the idea about the pulley is a real good one! Mine is ok, but I can see where that could go unfound for a while if you didn't know better. A friend of mine suggested that I may have a wheel bearing going bad and I think he may be on to something. We just hope I didn't screw up my spindle in the process of having so much fun. I just couldn't help myself though lol. This weekend is the first time in 3 years that I could drive it and the squeal just now became overwhelming. I'll know this weekend how bad it is. Thanks, Navy and sololobo for the well wishes! Yeah, lorodz I think it sounds pretty gnarly too! lol Sorry, for the sucky audio and film quality. I have one of the in car flip cameras Ryan likes, but the battery wasn't charged and I couldn't wait 3 hours longer. Just have to give it another shot once the squeal is fixed. Thanks soooo much hrm2k for making the video so much more user friendly. I appreciate the pm too explaining how you did it. Pretty cool man!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Shake rattle and roar,man that was a cool ride,THANKS for taking us along.I like the part when you said your wife was grinning ear to ear.She must be one cool chick.I would jack the car up on stands and see if there is any noise or if the wheels feel like dragging when spinning wheels by hand.Your probably right it could be bearings or brakes.Are your bearings correct for your spindles? I put mine on and realized later the race wasn't seated all the way in.The kit said a sleeve spacer may be needed.Mine just wasn't seated correctly.I would take it apart and look everything over for scrubbing. Thank again for the ride,Cool car.

10. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Thanks Low Lid Dude! She's very cool! My father said she would only ride in it once and never again, but boy was he ever wrong! She didn't want to go home lol. I haven't put my harnesses in yet so I was all for taking it easy, but she was like,"you can go faster" lol! That's a WHOLE LOT of trust man after what she went through. It has plenty more, but that would have just been stupid and I might have lost her trust. As much as I enjoyed the car what stuck with me was the grin.

Oh, and big thanks for the input on the bearings. They didn't howl 3 years ago so I'm thinking they are probably correct, but we'll make sure. Good stuff!!

11. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Sounds Beasty indeed! 10-4 on the trust issue. It won't be long till she's asking you to light em up!

Dunno if you have a brake that's dragging or what but do figure that one out before you go for anymore joy rides. Then lets see some tire smoke!

12. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Awesome!! At the 1:20 mark in the video there is only one way to fix the problem and that would be a 671 blower :)

Stick the 671 on and all your problems will go away.

13. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

This situation with the brakes/bearing/whatev is like going to Baskin-Robbins and ordering up a triple scoop ice cream and getting one good lick in on it before somebody snatches it out of your hand and says,"Enough for you! Tank you come again." lol You know?! I'm definitely grounded until this riddle is solved and then it's blast off!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  14. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Hmmmmmm...you know I had someone make me a pretty sweet offer on a huffer not too long ago.:rolleyes: I have thought about it a few times, but I really want to see what I can do with this little T-ram. Never know though Eric...when it comes time to freshen up this engine I may just have to go A/Alt!

16. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Very cool, thanks for the ride!

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Do you have backing plates on the disc brakes?
    I had a sound like that on mine, thing would flex ever so little, but enough for the rotor to touch the dust plate. Bent dust plate a little where it had rubbed voila, no more noise!
    Good Luck!

18. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

19. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Thanks Toast!

I'm not sure about the dust plate KoolKat, but I'll look into it. I really appreciate all the thoughtful ideas as well as the thumbs ups. I knew you dudes would have some good suggestions! Would be really cool if it was a simple fix like that!

20. bigken

bigken

Dude - great job. Debug and drive the wheels off of it.

22. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Thanks for the ride, I hope its not a bearing but fear it is.

24. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Could the noise be the cows screaming as you drive by?

:)

Another thing to check is to make sure that the starter gear is disengaging all the way, and that nothing is rubbing the flywheel. Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, but make sure those are packed with grease well also.

Car looks like it drives real nice!

25. 61 chevy

61 chevy

great car, evertime i take my car out for a spin theres always some asshole pulling out in front of me going too slow,

26. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Your welcome Francisco! I hope to post a much better video as soon as this bug is worked out. glad you enjoyed it.

27. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

LOL! It's funny you say that because my wife said she was dissapointed to miss filming a calf I scared the shit out of! I'll definitely check out the starter too.

It stears great with the 7 deg of caster. I do need to adjust the front shocks though because right now they are stiff as hell. You'll chip your teeth if you hit a pothole. Thanks for the great input!

28. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Thanks man! This is really the first time for me to drive this thing and I'm glad I read the thread about the responses guys get from people when they are on the road. I have already had at least 3 people try to run me over lol! Hell, I would rather just pull over if they are going to try and kill me!

29. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

Bring it up to 40 or 50 mph,throw it in neutral and turn the engine off. And coast. Then slow down and listen to the brakes. Be careful. Oh ya cool ride!!!!!

30. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Thanks TOYBOX! I'm digging the Nova(s) big time!