Register now to get rid of these ads!

Columbus, Ohio???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Killer, Feb 8, 2008.

1. jonny o

jonny o

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i think this is the first time in my 23 years on this earth that i've ever heard someone say they were "stoked" coming to ohio!!!!! wow, usually people are leaving ohio for cali and you are doing the opposite, ugh good luck man!!!!

3. mogara

mogara

My wife and I lived there for two years after I graduated from college. We loved the city and still miss it. The north and northwest sides of the city are pricey, but relative to where you're coming from, it's dirt cheap!

4. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

Alot of Ohioans are leaving here for Cali and Az. and you commin here...lol...As you can tell from most the posts the hot rod scene is great. There are plenty of cruise in's and lots of organized shows as well...Like mentioned before there are alot of Boyd wanna bes here too, but there are probably twice as many Old Schoolers and die hard here as well. I live about 2 hours North of Col. Here in Brunswick we used to have the Largest unorganized car show (or car cruise) in the US. It is scaled down big time now but we still get a couple hundred cars that show up every Saturday night....When Carneys (a 50's style drive in) was still around it was nothing to see 2,000 - 3000 cars show up...Lots of different car clubs here as well...Like Voodoo Kings, Speed-Kings, Rumblers and many more....So you should fit right in! Good luck with your move hope works out for ya, welcome to Ohio and hope to see out at the cruises!!

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hey Dyce, where's this unorganized cruise and why have i missed it?!

6. CQQL33

CQQL33

Welcome to Ohio..... like everybody says the weather SUCKS !!! But, other than that it is not too bad. The car people are pretty nice folks. To check some things out try the following linc, it will give you a good idea of some things going on around the area. Hope to see you on the road this summer........

http://www.cruisintimes.org/

Rich

7. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

When it was really large it was at Laurel Square shopping center On Rt 42 in Brunswick then when Carneys shut down (not by Choice) it moved to Kmart Plaza on Rt 303 in Brunswick in the recent years it has moved back to Laurel Square but it's not a large as it was ...I'll try to find some pics of what it was like....

8. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

Here is what Cruisin Times had to say about the car cruise in Brunswick

As for Brunswick, it really doesn’t matter what position it’s in, it’s still known around the U.S. as one of the oldest and best as they continue as the place to go on a Saturday night at it’s Laurel Square location with an assortment of restaurants and shopping. Brunswick is the first to cruise in the spring as people get there cars out if the sun shines in March. They get ‘em not only from the Cleveland area but Akron, Wooster and Mansfield, to the tune of 400+ on a bad night.

9. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

Welcome to the land of Buckeyes.I hope you like scarlet and grey.No one has mentioned motor sports.We have almost every form of racing except Nascar.You will be near the world famous Ohio State fair and a massive Goodguys event.One piece of worthless info.Did you know Ohio is the only state that does have a natural lake.(lol)All man made.Peace and welcome.
    Chris
    Go Bucks

10. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

Unfortunatly I cannot find the pics from when Carney's was still around in the late 80's and the early 90's but the cruise is still one of the most popular, one of the oldest and one of the largest

11. madwrencher

madwrencher
    from ohio

I live a couple of hours away from columbus. I don't mind living here the cost of living in my area isn't too bad. And the winter gives you time to work on junk.

12. I'm a little north of the Ohio border, the weather sucks ass, but the car scene makes up for it in the summer.

13. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I moved to Marietta, Ohio about 5 years ago from Santa Maria, California (born & riaised in Los Angeles/OC) I now live in Blaine, Ohio (near Wheeling, WV) on the Ohio River. I love Ohio and the KUSTOM car movement is alive and well here. Being this close you have to drive over to Jalopy Showdown in York Springs, Pa next May, what a cool run that is. Also the H.A.M.B. Hot Rod Cinematic Show in Gallipolis, Ohio both good runs.

14. Ron

Ron

Jason
    I'm two to three hours away from there you will love the winter;)

Anyway there some pics here www.pyrocars.com from Goodguys Columbus, Rebel Run Lima Oh, and James Dean/Ducktail in Indiana couple hours away. Also the Hunnert but that is quite a bit farther but well worth the trip.
    Also some here www.picturetrail.com/pyrocars from Indy Goodguys and the Indy RoadRockets Rumble also a two or three hours away.

There ia a white car on page four from Columbus you may find interesting.

http://www.pyrocars.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=4

Ron

15. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

No sweat, if you find them that would be neat to see, but i'll have to check that out this spring/summer for sure and see it in person;)
    -ace

16. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

well gota say the weather predictions are right on par . this sat it will be 48 and sunday 20
    with negitive windchills,but i was born and raised in cental ohio and still live and work here as well. tons of cool stuff in cols. a large following of ,car nut in general ,hang out every friday and saturday at JEGS reynoldburg retail store on the far eat side col columbus. if your into rockabilly we have the main charter of the road devils based here as well. i cant say enough about the spring , summer and fall here . always some where to go ,car related,
    weather its a drag race at national trails, small town NASCAR at columbus motor speedway,old schooll drags at PACEMAKERS DRAGSTRIP or MARION COUNTY RACEWAY.I am a second generation hotrodder and can say i feel very lucky to have the kind of hot rod life that columbus has.please give me a PM anytime and i will try to answer any questions you might have, i.e. what part of town is scary, which end of town is over populated and way overpriced
    so good luck with your adventure and i hope to hear from you soon.............

17. mtflat

mtflat

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned - the Ohio Highway Patrol believes the speed limit IS the speed limit.......this is constant throughout the state, and the small town cops are notorious for creative speed traps.

18. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

AMEN!!!!!!

19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

20. Killer

Killer

ok now that last picture is just plain MEAN!

we would like to live outside of town with some land... mostly looking North of Columbus.. Mama drives an hour and a half to work now so that would be her limit..

good to hear thers so much car stuff! I love road trips..

21. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Do you have jobs lined up yet? You might want to look in the NW or west part if you want a little land. The SW part might be good as well.

22. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Yep come on over to the east...... We lots of car shit to do :)

Canton here, 2 hours from Col.

Later,Bill

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

The one thing about that pic (and I'm sure someone will have a problem with what I'm going to say LOL) is that the road crews are generally prepared for it.

A fraction of the snow in other places shut everything down. It generally doesn't take the crews long to get things cleared. Growing up in Northern Ohio snow rarely stopped anything.

Around here a little snow stops everything. (Just across the Ohio River from the earlier mentioned Marietta Ohio).

24. Killer

Killer

my folks are looking in Delaware.... and my sister is in Powell... so we need to go the other way.

JUST KIDDING!

jobs... I'm gonna keep doing the hot rod gig.. Mama might hook up a transfer within her company... or start something new... she hasn't decided.

nuther question... how does registration work out there? Lets say I don't have a title but I have a VIN number? I use a registration company here and bypass the DMV... she verifies the vin and goes to the DMV for me.

25. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

nuther question... how does registration work out there? Lets say I don't have a title but I have a VIN number? I use a registration company here and bypass the DMV... she verifies the vin and goes to the DMV for me.[/quote]

i dont think you can get a title that way. the dmv can be a pain in the ass. i dont think there even accepting new york registrations any more. btw the weather in columbus doesnt even compare to livin in the snow belt. go bucs
    mat

26. bustingear

bustingear

Bustingear here. I moved from Dallas 4 years ago. Good car scene in Columbus and around. Have two in college myself but doesnt stop me from being young. All over in my model A coupe. Nostalgia drags, rockabilly bands, rust, etc. Look me up. I would be happy to introduce you to the area.

27. 46ChevyPU

46ChevyPU
    from Ohio

I live in Grove City, Ohio which is a suburb of Columbus. Lots of cool car stuff in central Ohio and a couple of darn good swap meets in Springfield, Ohio. I cant wait til you get here I need lots of welding done.

Oh 1 more things....

If you need a parts fix there is always a Jegs store around the corner....

28. carmarket

carmarket

Man,when you get sick of all that bad weather just drive 2.5 hours north to Put-in-Bay,Ohio where its sunny and 75 everyday. HaHa Welcome to Ohio.

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

jason, good luck on the move! if you decide to dump that f-100 before you head east, keep me in mind! for some reason i miss that truck!

30. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

weather sucks this time of year......no shortage of hot rods here...if you shop at jegs, just drive over and pick up your parts...........welcome to ohio