Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Columbia 2 Speed for Bonneville?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haven Hills Auto Club, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Adding pure oxygen was tried back in the day. Too hot, too fast, burning through pistons and valves. Nitrous oxide slows the process by using heat to break the nitrogen from the oxygen keeping the combustion rate tolerable.

Some German WWII fighter aircraft were equipped with nitrous, a few racers were using it in the 50's and 60's, but it didn't become widespread until bolt-on kits were available in the late 70's.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I think @loudbang or @Stogy posted an article about the “first use of nitrous “ or similar in racing. There was (I’m pretty sure some references about using Oxygen in the article as well as as mentioned it didn’t play well with the engines.

3. The axle does have a good vacuum canister on it, but I do not have any other controls. I have read articles of people rigging a pull cable to it. I understand if done incorrectly, this can cause catastrophic damage. I have some more reading to do on the modifications, but it has been done and works.

wandi harry and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

5. Good info. I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up. Haha. Yes, pure oxygen is not good, and yes, nitrous would be the correct way. I was just scheming, for fun, what if it was a low amount of oxygen? Would it make any difference? I like hearing the stories of experiments done back in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. They were all trial and error back then backed by theory. Would of been a great time to see the evolution of speed.

6. Budget36

Budget36

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

But! Brings up something I recall thinking about when hearing of the Oxygen injection. So since the air we breathe is about 21%?? Oxygen, could a mix be used as an injection and not create a “torch”. ?
    Ok, back to the OPs thread;)

8. As I mentioned earlier, look at Barney Navarro. The terms "vaporized carbs" and "metal sprayed internals" were used

9. The thought of pure oxygen was kinda but not really a funny suggestion. I was havin fun. Ha. It was off topic and related to the power loss at altitude and the lack of power vs Columbia gearing. I will not be adding oxygen tanks, but I was interested if someone had tried it and had one hell of a story. Hence, Barney Navarro. I just like getting the history lessons.

10. Oh, another side note and I can't be sure, but Barney Navarro's T roadster was painted a 1947 Ford Maroon. I believe this color is actually called Dynamic Maroon, and will be the color of my Roadster. I love that earthy maroon!

11. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I talked to a guy with a 8VA that had a cable controlled lever fabricated to the vacuum can. It did not work well and he installed a longer manual shift lever that extended into the trunk. This set up is very inconvenient. I was planning on a manual rod and lever shift for mine, but didn't come up with an idea that didn't look cobbed up. I decided not to reinvent the entire wheel and went with an unconventional mounting location by using a 1936 Columbia control valve mounted on the front passenger side k-member. Once I have the speedometer changer figured out, I was going to post a tech thread.

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  12. In an old issue of Hot Rod Deluxe, there was a 33/34 coupe, if I remember right, and he used a parachute cable and adapted it to the Columbia. The pull lever was easily accessible by the driver. I was going to look closer and maybe get more info on that set up. As far as the speedo goes, I wasn't initially concerned with the speedo being correct in O/D, because the theory was to use it for land speed and not necessarily normal driving conditions. I've also read that my 26 tooth Zephyrs won't play nice with a 3.78 or 3.54 ratio and tall tire. It was suggested to use truck gears if putting a 3.54 in a Columbia. Mine is a 4.11, as far as I know, which should play nice with the Zephyrs, but may not give me the top speed I was looking for. More research is needed I think. I am interested in your how your project comes out. Might be helpful if the cable idea is a bust.

13. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

An injected 21% oxygen mix would be supercharging.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Ah yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of say a bottle of mix through nozzles. But I guess that’s why guys use Nitrous;)

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Years ago I used added oxygen to pass emissions back when it was checked at idle. Did the trick; never tried at wot.

Haven Hills Auto Club and Tman like this.
  16. Have you checked the Maroon hot rod thread?

17. Well now I have! Wow, I've been missing out! Thanks! I looked at late 40s Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln colors a lot. I thought I would go with a blue or green, but I saw a Dynamic Maroon Mercury, I think, and it was love at first sight. Lochaven Green, Florentine Blue, and New Castle Gray were the runner ups.

Tman likes this.
  18. I was thinking more along the lines of 5% or less more oxygen regulated right into the intake at the base of the carbs. Would have to figure out a regulator and nozzle, but could be done with 1949 tech and parts. Maybe fatten up the carbs a bit? Again, it was just a fun thought.

19. Budget36

Budget36

I think you’d not want pure Oxygen, think of a torch. It will cut with less pressure.
    I should contact an old friend of mine. He was certified in all things SCUBA and used to rebuild and set up regulators and had this thing to fill SCUBA tanks with.
    Gonna send the the fella a text.

20. Your next question will be "how do I get these colours mixed because the old formulas don't work anymore?"

21. Yea, that may be a problem. My buddy has owned a body shop for many years. He may not want to paint my roadster, but he would help with the colors. He is somewhat of a master when it comes to color matching. He said he should be able to get it close. I'm all ears though if you have suggestions.

22. Hint, there are some modern Fleet maroons that are KILLER

This was one I picked out for a customer in SS Urethane. Sprayed in Modern NASON. Looked lighter like this is light and got darker in indirect light. Under street lights is was amazing.

[​IMG]

23. https://tcpglobal.com/pages/automot...MImJbTpNST8wIVMQnnCh33GAElEAAYASAAEgIDcfD_BwE

24. These guys mixed me some Dynamic Maroon for my original paint ‘46 Woodie wheels and it matched great…

Haven Hills Auto Club and Tman like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

So my friend got back to me (I know, all on the edge of your seats) and said the set up had filtered and purified incoming air.

26. Right, if you breath pure oxygen it is bad for you. The mix is essential in that application.

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Better halfs father has a 47 Lincoln w a v12. Rated at 125 hp by factory, 200 plus tq. 2 speed rear has held up so far
    in a very heavy vehicle. I suspect it would hold up in the use proposed, not so much in a drag race type use.