Register now to get rid of these ads!

Color coordinating questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevelle bob, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

so I am a long way from paint on my 52 but love trying to figure out how I am going to do it. I plan on red oxide body with cream roof and cream scallops. My question is under the hood. With this color scheme what would you suggest for the 235 engine. firewall, wheels and innerfenders?

Thanks,

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would go satin black on the fenderwells, inner fenderwells and radiator support. The same creme color on the firewall with pin stripping matching the red oxide. Creme color on the engine too but it may be a chore to keep clean. If you decide to paint the engine creme, it would be nice to pin stripe the engine too.

The engine in my '32 was bright yellow so I got a portable steam cleaner to save the paint, if it ever got dirty and it did.......

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Cream engine everything else red oxide.

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Cream engine trimmed with red oxide, red oxide everything else.

5. rat nasty

rat nasty

Im in! this I like!

6. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas. not sure about cream on the engine since I plan on putting a lot of miles on it.

7. if the red oxide on the outside is flat, paint the motor gray and do the firewall and wheel wells red oxide with a shiny clearcoat.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Black engine bay, gray engine, cream wheels.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm not big on satin paints, flat black, or red oxide, as final paint on cars.
    The only advice I will give you is to consider if you are going to get "real" paint on your car in the future. Go with a color scheme that will match, coordinate or contrast with your final color choices.
    Reason is: when you do an engine compartment, and engine, the more you clean, smooth and prep everything, and get a high quality, smooth paint job on the components, the easier it is to clean, and keep clean. Flat paints, satins, primers are all porous to a degree, and will attract and hold greases, oil and dirt. VERY difficult to keep clean...ask the guys with their cars that are in primer! So your enigne compartment will be even harder to keep nice.
    I put about 160,000 on my Candy blue and silver 55 Olds, driving to car shows all over the eastern half of the country, back in the 80's and 90's. When I got to my destination, Id go to a spray car wash, and do the engine compartment with some S-100 (motorcycle cleaner) and wash the car, and it was practically show ready. The dirt grease and oil just slides off a clean paint job.
    The engine compartment still looks nice after 30 years now, though the car's been off the road for a while.