Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Color choice

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Busted Knuckles, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

50s Emerald Green or black...

56don and Busted Knuckles like this.
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love black cars but they only look good for maybe an hour. Have 4 black cars (40 coupe, wife's 55 and two OT cars)-tough to keep up!
    Of all the cars we have bought new only maybe 2 out of many were not black.

3. Slopok

Slopok

Black is not a color, Black is a JOB!;)

Elcohaulic, texasred, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First... I love your car.
    I owned a 51 Roadmaster 2d ht
    I like the darker shades of burgundy, maroon, black cherry, brandywine. I'd be tempted to paint the cove red.
    Everything's been done a million times. Doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure your Roadmaster will be one of the only ones around, no matter what color you paint it.
    Do what turns you on. Make your dream reality. Have fun.

BTW... Tell us the truth... am I wrong? When you're driving that Roadmaster, don't you just know that you're driving a big old American classic? A real car?
    My wife used to say that when we were driving in our Buick, she felt like "the classiest broad around". LOL

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Busted Knuckles likes this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

The first reply is dead on in my opinion if your going to keep the car. I mean you’ll be the one who looks at it everyday.

If the plan is to sell it, then it gets tough to please all potential buyers, right?

6. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

This one is a keeper. I like all of the colors that I posted, alot!

Budget36 likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once again it appears we are all unanimous in our decision and I concur!

GordonC, Budget36 and Busted Knuckles like this.
  8. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

Since I am currently trying to keep up with two black cars, I lean toward a lighter color on your car. The first yellow looked really good to my eyes. It looks almost like a factory color, but just different enough to make it special.

9. ChoppySTX

ChoppySTX

Maroon gets my vote, but I may be a bit biased as a Texas A&M former student.

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

I agree - this scheme but a dark red to match or compliment your interior color and a creamy white.
    Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Moriarity likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, on that car I like the maroon or maroon with silver top or the green. I'm not a big fan of fad colors like the flat black. or some of the off the wall color combination that will be dated real quick.

12. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Two tone in Maroon metallic and silver metallic on the roof, that should compliment your interior very classy like. here’s a good tip I got a long time ago from a painter:
    Print out your pictures in the different colors and tape them to your bathroom mirror. You will look at them every morning when your mind and vision is clear. You will notice after a week or so that you keep looking at one or two first every morning. Then take the others down and keep the two up for another week. You will find that one of them keeps jumping out at you first each day and this is the one you will always like in the future and every day, this method works well!
    Good luck

jetnow1, Texas57, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  13. Rusty J

Rusty J

Kinda partial to your green, but maybe with the off white to lighten it up and give it that 50's vibe. That turquoise picture a few posts back really stands out nicely too. My 10 cents.

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I really like th emirs the yellow. However I'm a true blue kind of guy and a medium blue with a lighter blue cove would look good as well. If you are not doing a total new interior colour I'd try to compliment the existing interior on the exterior. I did see a '41 Century with all of its beautiful chrome and a very metallic silver paint job and it looked stunning believe it or not.

That Buick has great lines and I think it would be a shame to trinket it all up, subtle is cool. I'd keep the ventiports as they are defining. Dark colours would look very cool but it seems veryone and their dog do these big cars in dark colours so buck the trend.

Last but not least, you're paying the bills so give it a good think or three and do what you like!

15. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

What comes to mind, do you like the color for the color, and would you like that color on the car. I am sticking to my first impression, go with the stock color and you cannot go wrong. It looks pretty much like the car that come out of the factory so keep it that way.

16. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Looks like I am going back to the original Shell Grey and Seamist top. The car had been repainted many years ago in an incorrect color. Headlights are frenched, getting nosed, decked, bubble skirts and side pipes and more static drop. I really appreciate all of the input and wisdom that everyone has shared.

17. You sound sad ^^^ your original post answered your question in my opinion, you said it yourself, " i love a black car".

j3harleys and Moriarity like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man, with that custom bodywork there is no way i would paint it the stock color... especially grey, just my humble opinion and it is your car but grey is the most boring "just lays there" color there is... again do what you want but here is what I tell people to do that are thinking of colors for a car. get a model kit or diecast model of your car and paint it the way you are thinking. This has 2 benefits. Building models is fun and when you are done you have a model of your car to put on display (no offense to people with grey cars, just my opinion)

19. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

This is the input I was looking for!

Moriarity likes this.
  20. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Doesn’t matter what everyone else says. Make it your own, a color you won’t tire of or go out of style like the pastels.

j3harleys and juan motime like this.
  21. purdy truck. I probably should not tell you this but that really doesn't help me much. There are a few colors that, uh, elude me. I like the truck though.

22. Green. Even two tone green. You seldom see green cars at shows, too many people do some shade of red.
    Black is beautiful if you have to body work to support it.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

If going grey I'd go Gun Metal grey with a Dove grey if you need two tone.

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

This one!
    [​IMG]

50 Merc Man and Busted Knuckles like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-10_4-28-59.png

Hello,

Nice Buick sedan. It has the look and attitude of being a cool cruiser. Having being introduced to a stock pale yellow 1951 Oldsmobile Sedan that my brother bought with his own money was an eye opener. How could a 15 year old teenager buy a car? He was determined to get one, since his friend already bought his first hot rod, a 34 Ford 5 window coupe. Was it envy? Perhaps, as teenagers often look elsewhere for answers. But, everyone laughed at a 15 year old kid buying his first car. At least his friend had turned 16 when his purchase was done.

When the 51 Oldsmobile rolled into the driveway of our Westside of Long Beach home, it was a pale yellow.

upload_2021-2-10_4-29-55.png The original color from the factory at purchase time as a used car.

The Olds Sedan very solid and looked cool. But, it was completely stock. It drove quite well and had plenty of Go Power when my brother stomped on the throttle. He was a happy camper and I was already looking at the future as a final recipient of this car, when I was old enough to drive.

Of course, like all teenagers, those cars all came over to our house with their array of wheels, chromed, flipper hubcaps, small shiny round center hubcaps, and even the stock Oldsmobile three prong flipper hubcap. I was impressed that those teenagers and their cars had so much variety. Of course, being a young kid, I was the recipient of commands to take off the hubcaps on one car and put them on the other. The older teens were sitting back enjoying my mom’s fabulous lunches and making me do all of the work in the exchanges.

The changes made each car look different. Then the Moon Discs from one of his friends had to be unscrewed and taped on the other cars. The only one that really look good was the 1934 black 5 window coupe with the Moon Discs taped on black wheels. But, my brother’s Yellow Oldsmobile came in a strong second.

Jnaki
    upload_2021-2-10_4-32-5.png
    Your Buick sedan looks cool. I like the yellow color of the sedan and it would stand out more so than the other colors. So, what did my brother decide on for his own hubcaps, why, the Moon Discs that needed to be screwed in place. He kept it that way for a couple of years until the car got painted a Lime Green to sell to another friend for his own first car.
    1951 OLDS

26. Maroon or dark green.

27. Schnitz

Schnitz

IMHO the 2 tone really shows off the lines and design of the car. A white roof almost fades away leaving the body of the car to get all the attention which it rightly deserves.
    I also share the same opinion as MichaelVz51 in terms of the silver only because how it will compliment the interior. If you're planning on redoing the interior then any color scheme works and I would stay away from the silver.

28. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Can anyone photoshop my car in the shell grey and seamist colors I posted?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Paging @themoose to the front desk.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I sprayed our small car Wimbledon white last year after 10 years in black primer. It has black leather with red piping. Folks can’t stop complementing the choice.