Register now to get rid of these ads!

Collin Casey RIP.. :(

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Throttle_Junkie, Feb 18, 2010.

1. wmfstone

wmfstone

Just found out about Casey - - I'm blown away by the number of people he touched. First met him 2 years ago at the Deuce Reunion - - I didn't know him well and until now I never noticed his first name was Collin. At last years' reunion I remember some of his open pipe test runs on the street in front of the hotel - - the town fuzz must have been looking the other way - - we never heard a siren.

I'm in Dripping Springs - - about halfway between Collin's driveway and Bert And Ernies beer bait and ammo shop (plus bar). Too bad I never visited Casey's Rod Chop - - always intended to - - now sorry I didn't.

Last time I saw him was about three weeks ago at the Home Depot in Dripping Springs. He was searching for some nuts & bolts in the hardware department when I ran into him. We talked - - exchanged cards and he mentioned that he had been ill but was feeling better. As I now recall he was smiling but looked a little pale. During our chat he mentioned that he had been pushing his 5 window and that it got away and went over an embankment. He said it was out of commission - - needed a new rear end.

Who says it hardly ever snows in this part of Texas - - today we've received about 2" of snow in Drippin - - I've seen snow in my days but these were some of the largest snowflakes I've ever seen - - silver dollars from the sky - - when driving by his driveway I noticed his rusty sign "Disabled Place" was gone - - the metal American flag above it was still there.

2. solid

solid

that is real badass!!! One of the coolest things i have ever heard...

Prayers for his friends and family.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Been thinking about this for a bit now. Lots of people don't tell each other face to face what their friendship means or how much they appreciate them in their lives until it's too late, me included. We all loved Collin but how many of us hugged him and told him that? Don't be surprised when I see you guys this summer that along with the usual hug I tell you how much I care about you. You just never know when it's going to be the last time you see that pal.

4. Rusty

Rusty

so rite Denise!

5. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

WOW. Just got in off the road and log in and see this. Sometimes it's nice to be out of touch. :(

Godspeed Collin.

6. Crease

Crease

Amen!

Wmfstone,

He was aware that many folks didn't know his name was Collin. He even said to me once "you do know my first name is Collin?" I of course said, "didnt know that Casey!" :)

7. chopz56

chopz56

I didn't know Collin,but it's always sad to loose a fellow Gearhead and for all of you that were friends with him i am truly sorry for your lose it sounds like he was a really great guy!

8. FuelFC

FuelFC

Wow. Been away for a bit. And come to see this. Must have been a reason.

Casey those immortal words from Pat Foster are ringing right now..."Da Fuck?" ;) Say hi to him for us.

Meeting him once was all you needed you had a friend forever.

Coll... err Casey it was our extreme pleasure and honor to have had the opportunity in this life. You are and will forever be missed! God Speed boy. God Speed.

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Denise, I'm sure Collin told you this,but he always said the best advise he got was when you told him to "Get your hands out of your pocket and out in front you".

I heard him many times say, "Hi, I'm Casey, are you on the HAMB?"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. solid

solid

Denise,with the hustle and bustle of everyday life, none of us do just that. I, as do most of you, spend more time at work than i do with my family, and friends. I hate it, but it's the nature of the beast. I know now it's the quality time you spend, not how much time you spend. I did not know collin, and i don't know most of the people on the hamb in person, but i can tell your all good people. I can see how important he was to alot of the guys and gals here. The story of him pulling that hot rod into the show with his 32 is inspiring. How friggin bad ass is that? This thread is a fine example of how collin, and others like him make our hobby(passion) so great. I dare say, it's not just about the cars, it's about the times...i love this place more everyday...

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

For those that still don't get it, it's about the people, not the cars. Please get that in your heads, we don't have burials for cars, we have them for people. Respect your friendships, they will leave a mark far more immortal than any car ever built.

12. TexasDart

TexasDart

yeah but it wasn't for the cars....we probably wouldn't be getting together .....so show a little respect for the cars too....:) Okay...group Collin Casey hugs at the Thaw..probably will need to do that just to stay warm...what is that weather report anyway.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Absolutely agreed, but sometimes when we put the car above the person and start getting all elitist then we lose sight of the friendship.

Someone do a remote group hug for me, thanks.

14. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

heh. I found out his name because I kept calling him "hot rod"- because waaay back when, I only knew him as "hot-rod-artist" or "that squirrel with the coupe".

been thinkin about him all week. my guts hurt.

15. MercuryCharlie

MercuryCharlie

A finer flathead friend I will never find!!
    miss you Crazy Collin----------- Lots

16. I remember him helping out when i first joined the HAMB, great guy.

After sending him an article in a mag down here on his car he said we'd have a beer when i came over to the states.

Seems like everyone that he came into contact with, had a great experience and will miss a true hot rodder!

Rip Casey.

17. SteadyT

SteadyT

18. bigken

bigken

19. Big Tony

Big Tony

What... no donuts...

20. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Just reading this. I'm in shock. He was such a cool guy. Probably the first car guy I met when I moved here. He was a real hot rodder. No attitude or cool guy routine. He was just about the cars. Allways had a cold one for a friend.

R.I.P. buddy.

21. We can all learn something from Casey and how he lived his life. The many, many friends he had made here and everywhere he went and the posts on this thread prove that in spades!

As superjunkman just said "He was such a cool guy. Probably the first car guy I met when I moved here. He was a real hot rodder. No attitude or cool guy routine. He was just about the cars". That's what I hope we are all here for and that we remember that the next time we get a little rough on someone.

And Denise's advise to Casey was absolutely right, "Get your hands out of your pockets and out in front you" is something we all should do. Thanks Denise!

I really regret not being able to meet him in person but I knew we would as soon as I made it down to the Deuce Reunion or the Roundup. I had long talk just this morning with a good friend (a life long hot rodder and deuce nut) that has been just diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.:( That just sucks!

Enjoy life because you never know what's around the next corner. Life is way too short not to have a smile on your face and friends to share it with!:D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  22. Herdez

Herdez

Wow! I'm shocked to read this.

I met him just one time a long...long.. time ago when I was working at a parts store here in town. I remember him that day driving around in the Texas hot weather in that same coupe you see today. Funny, I thought he was just test driving his project at first but turned out that it was actually a daily driver for him. We were both in different worlds at the time but seeing him driving around in that little car made me realize what he stood for. Back then Austin didnt have any of this traditional stuff and I just thought what he was doing was cool with all that classic "hot rod" stuff. After reading so many good things about him and as a member of this forum and being that we lived in the same area I felt I should share something I remember about him. R.I.P.

23. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I still haven't heard anything about a service. Has anyone heard anything?

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

From what I heard he will be cremated and his ashes spread at Little River Raceway. Right now Kelly is setting up a paypal account cuz so many of us want to help with expenses. She said she'll get that done by Monday then there'll be a thread about it.

25. Lugnut II

Lugnut II

Thanks Denise!

26. tinmann

tinmann

One of those guys whose posts you just HAD to read. Gonna be missed in a big way.

27. I didn't know him, but it felt like I did. Gonna be missed! R.I.P.

28. Gonna miss ol' Collin. Got to visit with him every time I came down for the Roundup, still have some of his PM's. He never was too good or too busy to talk to anyone. Super guy!! Just ain't right....

29. Lugnut II

Lugnut II

Getting ready to head to the THAW!:D This ones for you!!!;)

30. Crease

Crease

Thank you for the update Denise