Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods collector insurance double standard ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Carry and second speedometer and cable? Oh brother.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'd pay more rather than have to call some insurance company when I wanted to drive further than the local park.

3. I see more main-stream car insurance carriers offering classic car insurance. I'll see about adding my Ford to my existing policy.

4. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I just looked at Farmers Specialty insurance , because of what said about no driving restrictions. At the bottom of the Farmers Specialty collector car insurance website, there was a link to who I would guess is Farmers underwriter. The link was to JCTaylor. So your "no driving restrictions" might not be as good as you think. Might want to check into that..just sayin.

5. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I have Allstate at the moment (which I worry about) because even though my agent says I covered. The policy reads ACV... scarey

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

And with Allstate the ACV is what ever they determine to be fair to THEM!
    Good luck with what ever you decide, KK

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Back in the late eighty's early 90's my DD was a 71' torino...I went through several Insurance companys because they didn't want to insure a car more than ten years old, didn't matter that it had power disc brakes and better suspension..Bought a new truck in 92' so fixed that..I ask people who are using their 50's/60's cars for DD what they are using for Insurance, some say just added on to their modern fleet, some say collector type and I ask is that legal and I get a shrug of the shoulders and the comment that what they don't know won't hurt them..

8. oldolds

oldolds

It's a funny thing with insurance companies, you ask a general question they will cover that problem. You get real specific and you agent will give you one answer, the call to the company by him will give a different answer and if you contact the company by customer service you might get a entirely different answer. Call the insurance commission in your state after the problem happens and you will get another answer from everybody.

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My insurance company "suggests" I don't drive my rides to work. This implies to me that it doesn't want my rides driven during the hours to and from work, maybe 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm ? In truth, I attempt to stay off the roads between these hours except when we are at rod runs/car shows because of the obvious congestion. I do need to check about mileage per year, month, or whatever.

10. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Hagerty website: http://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Classic-Car-Insurance

We offer:
    Guaranteed Value™ Coverage
    In the event of a covered total loss, you receive every cent of your car’s insured value.* No depreciation. No messing around. No hassle.
    *Any deductible and/or salvage value if vehicle is retained by you will be subtracted from the total amount paid.

Flexible Usage
    Our policy allows you occasional pleasure use, so you can go for a weekend cruise or attend unlimited events with no fixed mileage restrictions**.
    ** Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc.

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

A guy had a OT muscle car with vintage insurance ,ran a red light, slammed another car then smashed into a store front. No one was injured and his insurance did pay for the property damage he caused. But refused to pay for demolished vehicle because he was using it for a daily driver...
    When you see "hot rods" doing burnouts leaving a show and the vehicle gets out of control and wrecks, you think the insurance company might be pissy about paying?
    When in doubt read the contract because it's the legal document stating conditions....The agents verbal statements mean nothing is there's a problem..

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have my Model A pickup insured with State farm. I drive it to work when the mood hits me, but then again I own a restoration/rod shop. Full coverage, about $300/year, I stated my annual mileage as 3000 or less. It's essentially a stocker right now so I'm fine with it. Your agent or rep is as important as your coverage. I've had 2 claims in the last dozen years and rec'd the fastest service you can imagine. As a shop owner, both Hagerty and Grundy were awesome to work with. 3 collision claims from customers and the check was there in a matter of days. No hassles, no questions.

13. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Yeah that's the thing, even on this post. Some say that Hagerty told them shows and limited personal use... But then other were told by Hagerty you can drive it anywhere , " just do not tow at trailer/ or haul anything" with your truck.
    Then one of the other post said Framers Specialty Insurance, told him that he had no restrictions/ but Farmers looks to be underwritten by JC Taylor/ which has restrictions.
    It's all a bit like Russian roulette......click.....click.....sorry Bang , not your luck day. Next player!!

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you read the post by wagoon78, it shows that Hagerty offers 2 different options of insurance that would cover you for one way of use or the other and I'm certain the premiums will reflect the difference in how you choose to use your vehicle.

15. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

After talking to an Agent a Chubbs Collector insurance today. I think I'm going to let them cover two of my rides, my 1946 dump bed pickup, and my 1933 Desoto coupe street rod. As for my 1964 Dodge A100 pickup, that were my usage issues are not as clear. But at least I'm starting to get some good information.

16. And the last I saw they all want the car/cars garage kept. That meens no driveways or off street parking.

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Had my 1966 Triumph custom motorcycle burn to the ground while I was at a self storage place fartin' around. JC Taylor sent an adjuster to verify the VIN, cut me a check for the 10K is was insured for and sold it back to me for 10 bucks.

magg 001.jpg IMAGE_00022.jpg cowtri 017.jpg

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Damn, that was a beautiful bike too, T120?

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The car insurance companies[​IMG] don't want you to put your car at unreasonable risk. The mall parking lot is a great place to collect scratches, dings, dents, vandalism, some moron running into it, and some fool steeling it.

Keeping it in a locked garage reduces the chances of it getting stolen at night or when you are not home. It also reduces the chances of receiving minor damage from outside sources.

Two things happen when you drive your car to work. 1) Most people work about the same hours, and the drive to and from work at at the times of highest traffic. 2) It might be really nice when you go to work, but when you get off work, the weather may have gotten much worse. Because it is your transportation, you still need to drive it home, when normally you probably would not be driving it.

As far as hauling, if you have collector plates, your probably not legal hauling anything. Also, hauling stuff increases the chances of scratches, dings and dents.

The insurance companies are less concerned about you messing up your ride then they are about someone else messing up your ride. When you attend a car related event, the car is usually in a somewhat protected environment, and you are more aware of things going on around you. Gene

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I had Condon and Skelly and once I actually read the coverage I let it go, same deal club events or parades only with mileage limitations

I use my car to drive to work, the store, my kids hockey and football practice etc. I called Grundy and told them my use and they told me they would not cover me. Then (AMY) from Grundy was on here and said the same,e thing.

I called Haggerty and told them how I sued my car and they said no problem. Maker sure you are as honest as possible with them, cheap now will be cheap when you need it.

21. fatkoop

fatkoop

I have American National (Chrome) Insurance on everything, houses, cars, non-running project cars. I have found that the agent makes the difference. Some will stick up for you when you have problems, some will go by the book. So far, (about 8-10 years) so good. I take my '40 everywhere, and of course, it can't be in a garage when we're out at a show, but my agent says that's OK. I also run errands, go to cruise nights, and visit friends with it, 'cuz it's a car, and I drive it.

22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Why not throw a car show in the work parking lot every day?? I mean I can make posters!

Am I the only one with only liability?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  23. I'm with Grundy and no personal mileage, great coverage at a really good price, recommend them!

24. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Good idea about a sign, and a car show of at least 1 , Thinking outside the box HAHA. Liability ..risky. You can drive anywhere/anytime. Sounds like you have a common insurer. They can probably add more coverage for not much $$. Something to think about. SHOULD THINK ABOUT.

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Depends on how much you value your car and the cost vs risk of loss you are willing to take a chance on.

26. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

There's something going on here that all might not recognize. First, we are seeing names of insurance underwriters. These are the companies who accept the risk and pay claims. Allstate and State Farm have been mentioned. We also see names of agents. Agents are not insurance companies. Rather, they arrange for you to be insured by an underwriter. Grundy is my agent. Years ago that had me with Chubb. They've since changed and they now have me with Philadelphia Insurance Co. If I ever have a question about anything I talk to my agent, Grundy. I'm very happy with the service they provide me.
    (Disclaimer: I have no connection with the Grundy business or with any insurance company)

27. noboD

noboD

Frank, I agree. I have J.C.Taylor and I think they use Maryland Casualty, if I remember right.

28. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

[QUOTE Am I the only one with only liability?[/QUOTE]

No, I only have liability insurance as well. My car sits outside at my home. No one will cover it under collector car insurance. Besides that, I will drive it as far, as often, and any place I might want to go. My liability insurance costs me about $250 a year. It was junk when I got it, if something happens to it, either I will build it again, or it will be junk again. Gene

29. Have any of you ever been refused collector vehicle insurance because your daily driver(s) were 10 years or older?

30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nope. All my daily drivers are over 10 years old.