Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Collection Lost in Malibu Fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Nov 12, 2018.

1. to prevent something like this, what could be done? block building with a metal roof? water tank in ceiling for gravity sprinkler system? is there such a thing as a whole house fire/welding blanket? how much vegetation would have to be cleared around the building?

bchctybob likes this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

over 200 people are still missing. one of them is a 12 year old girl. how many dead? not sure what todays count was. there were 60 MPH winds. 100 foot tall walls of flame. "lostone".... perfect name.

3. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

And THANK the FIREFIGHTERS. It is a bitch to fight while your own home and maybe family burns

kbgreen, SR100, Atwater Mike and 10 others like this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

The fires moved amazingly fast due to the winds and canyons. Those who heeded the initial evac orders got away safely for the most part. I have friends staying with us who got out of Paradise early and fast.
    We have both learned something from this; before spending $10-20K on another car we will be sure our land is clear and install some kind of fire suppression system in our shops. His new shop survived but if there’s a way to improve the odds the investment will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, TagMan and The37Kid like this.

5. ^^^^^^ Very true...... Not concerned about cars, trinkets, etc...... Can we get back to what's real here please! People are loosing everything! Including loved one's, and everything they own........
    If we can forget the cars for a bit....... DAMN! show some humanity! Yep , toy's are great and all, but what really matters here? Some people just don't get it!!!!!!!!:mad:

6. Not "liking", but agreeing.......... I could give a shit about cars at this point.......
    Some just don't realize what's going on....... I want to watch the news, but then I don't.
    I can only contribute to help, but that's irrelevant.......
    It sucks either way.... Here, or across the country.........
    F' collections and who has what at this point............ Kinda moot point!
    Depressing to say the least.

X-cpe, Atwater Mike, TagMan and 3 others like this.
  7. flatford39

flatford39

I can ...you are an idiot.

8. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Not sure where this was... FB_IMG_1541794918762_1541794954158.jpg

9. Unfortunately, fire does not discriminate, no one is safe in these situations. I am VERY sorry for everyone's losses especially those who have lost loved ones.

Deuces, The37Kid and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hopefully some of the cars may have been loaned to museums, or were out for work / restoration. Better yet, out on a cruise or at a car show! Lots of other collections were lost too, eh?, from guns, to stamps, to art, to libraries, to priceless antiques, whatever. It was all probably insured, and collections can be rebuilt if there is time and interest. I bet even some of the homes were "historic" in their own right, let alone their contents. Remember most of all, this kind of fire is nothing short of a conflagration. And nothing short of a miracle can stop it. No fire fighting force will work in that heat and with that wind. You can only save the people, let along think of all the lost animals and plant life, too. And how long the ground will be unsuitable, unstable or unusable? There was a lot lost, and dreams shattered. Gary

jd34delivery, alanp561 and 56premiere like this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was sent a video that a fellow took on his cell phone, of the Paradise area that he lived in. As the fire was approaching he had told a lot of people to get out NOW. Some hesitated, one woman said she needed to put on makeup before she was going anywhere. The video showed the burned up cars with remains still in them, one of which he said was the makeup lady. I couldn't finish watching it. He saved himself by laying in some wet low clearing while the fire moved by.

We own a 9-acre piece of ground near our home that is mostly native tall bluestem prairie grass which we burn off every spring to preserve the prairie and keep trees and other plants from taking over. It is amazing how fast these burns can move through dry grass, especially when burning uphill. And a fire generates it's own wind which just makes it travel faster.

little red 50 and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I am in no way comparing the magnitude of the fire with the hurricane that came through here last month. Only to say that the safety of my pitiful car "collection" never entered my mind. After the storm passed I assessed the damage to my property and found that a large tree had fallen across the back of my shop. Luckily a parts car diverted the tree and it only took out the corner of my shop. Had it not been for that junker the tree would have come through the shop and probably took out my 50 silver streak and 67 GTO. But, they were both insured and could have been replaced.
    And, as a retired firefighter I can feel for my brothers on the front line. God keep them safe.

13. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man I sure feel for all those people and like others have already said, to hell with the cars, grab your family and get the Hell out of there….

14. I

If there was a "not like button", this would apply....... Sorry Man- Glad everyone is safe!

15. This is a problem in other areas also. Bats around my area. You cannot cut a tree during the summer for fear that a bat that hasn't been in the area for over 20 years may be nesting in it. A recent bat survey on my property revealed none present and required two people setting up nets for a determined time over so many days. These bats are devastated by a disease that cannot be cured so what is the sense? Worry about the people in harms way and living day to day and replace the material items as needed. You only need; food, shelter, water, and clothing to survive.

tractorguy, Atwater Mike and The37Kid like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sad for all affected. But this is just the first thing. Now that the vegetation is gone, when the winter rains get there there will be mudslides everywhere. It’s been a cycle like that for as many years as I can remember. Maybe there are some areas on this old rock humans weren’t supposed to live.

17. ironrodder

ironrodder

I think it was 2005 my wife and I were staying in an apartment in Thousand Oaks. Neighbors said the fire in Simi Valley was 10 miles away. When I watched the morning news our apartment was front and center with fire trucks all around it. The fire had burned within 10 feet of our patio.
    about 9 a.m. I headed out for the grocery, a fireman ask me how I got past the barricades. No one told us to go.

olscrounger likes this.
  18. fordpatina

fordpatina

I don't fell sorry for any of them these people have good insurance, people in paradise lots everything

19. trollst

trollst

A lot of you don't understand fire, a lot of those killed in fires die because they don't understand what they're up against and stay too long. They think they'll water down the house with a garden hose, hide in the pool, whatever stupid uneducated excuse they can find.
    Fact is, when it comes, you can't hide, period, not in your pool, under the hose, nowhere. The air is a thousand degrees, it rains fire, creates its own weather, and doesn't love you or your house. Most of the dramatic pics you see on tv are folks who waited too long, your car can stall from lack of oxygen to keep it running, the paint and rubber, plastic, catch fire as you're driving, truly scary shit. When you're told to leave, get the hell outta there, don't look back, or you won't get out to come back. Education is a good thing.

49ratfink, tractorguy, dan31 and 8 others like this.
  20. BJR

BJR

These fires are heartbreaking, it affects so many lives, and some never live to see the next day. I hope all Hambers are all OK. But there will be another fire next year and the year after that. People need to start protecting themselves and not moving into areas that have regular fires, regardless how beautiful or cheap they are .

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Normally I would say you are pretty well 100% correct. The Camp fire moved so fast that people had no warning and when the warning came it was too late to do anything except run. As I said earlier when my friend got the evac notice yesterday all he could do is catch their cats and load them and a very few items in the truck and head out. He still doesn't know if he has anything to go back to including most of the stuff from his business.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hell is never far away...damn that's hard to watch. Continued thoughts for all affected...:(

warhorseracing likes this.
  23. clem

clem

If this is a serious question, - no, none of your suggestions will help.
    Metal roof melts from heat, blocks explod, water evaporates.....

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. clem

clem

Thank you !
    Great comments.
    Hopefully people will stop and think about what you have said.

Lil32 likes this.
  25. my question was serious and it was not meant to be, in any way, uncaring about those who lost their lives. thinking forward about building codes that could maybe save money and TIME in the event of an abandonment. if insurance companies stop insuring places like this for a reasonable price these areas will end up non livable. the question was to start a clever thoughtful conversation on saving what this forum is about.

Irish Mike, Sky Six and The37Kid like this.
  26. Huge tragedy, for the loss of the collection and more important the lives of people.
    Story on Public Radio explaining why these fires occur more often than in years past. Building practices aren’t allowing Mother Nature to do her job, with small manageable fires
    I’m crying over some of those classic cars gone forever. But once again, people more important.
    Florida has its share of wildfires, but nothing of this magnitude.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

First off, my heart goes out to all in California that are affected by this crisis. Truely a tragic life altering event.
    I am a California native. Born and raised in the SF Bay Area and was privey to all that was kool in the 50's & 60's. Family was relocated to the DC area but after I was done with college, I moved back to Modesto in 1974. I was back and it was still very kool. After 7 years, moved to Whittier and it was starting to get a little worse but still had Barris, Moon, Roth, Winfield, etc. Went to Sunset beach every evening to cool off and surf after work in my 66 Mustang.
    Moved back to San Jose in 1980. Raising a family and still hotrodding was fun but difficult. Went through several "Shake &Bake" events. Natives know what I mean. Never easy but I was where it was Kool. Finally, I saw the opportunity to escape the diminishing Koolness of California in 1990. It was quickly changing into a place I was not comfortable with and decided to make a change of venue. It was not an easy decision pulling up those deep rooted memories and events and family. I have been back numerous times and really enjoy it, soak in as much as I can while I can.
    Stay strong Californians. Some will rebuild, some will move on, but never lose that California spirit.

RapRap

28. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Smart and ture words written here!

61Cruiser likes this.
  29. egads

egads