Register now to get rid of these ads!

Collapsable/ Moveable/ Inexpensive.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drock6570, Jan 18, 2008.

1. drock6570

drock6570

Have any of you guys built/ designed an inexpensive paint booth that was also collapsable or on some crazy pulley system that gets it out of your way when not in use? Any useful hints tips on building a booth appreciated. I told Switchblade327 we'd have one when comes out to finish the Merc. :confused:

2. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

We have a tarp curtain that we use at work in our last bay. Just think a big shower curtain, LOL ,but on tracks.

3. james

james

I painted uner a carport with plastic drop clothes stapled to the carport, set weights on it at the bottom to keep it from blowing. I would think a pvc pipe frame could be made, or one of those cheap pepboys "garages".

4. drock6570

drock6570

I have this idea in my head for one that all collapses in on itself and lifts up into the rafters of the shop and is out of the way until its needed. I think Im going to have to just do a pvc set up and then design my master piece.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Hmmmmmm. You got the wheels in my head turning. I like where this is going.

6. I did one about 3 years ago at my old house. Mounted pulleys in the ceiling, used an obscene amount of 1/4 nylon rope but I could raise & lower it from one end (one line for each side). Basically a wooden 2x2 frame with 6mil plastic stapled to it, 28' x 16'. I used small steel truss plates at the unions (8' lumber) with eye hooks to fasten the rope to. Wasn't the world's best design but it did work, it went up & down about a dozen times before I took it down when I moved.
    I doubt I had more than about $150 in it, mostly the plastic. The plastic is avail at your local "big box" (HD, Lowe's, etc). The 6 mil stuff is thick, heavy, and more expensive, but I thought I'd have it awhile and didn't want to "retarp" it. Good luck!

7. drock6570

drock6570

I knew someone had done it. I had a very similar idea just have not decide on all the materials yet. I was thinking possibly a metal stud frame with 1x2 or 2x2 screwed in all 4sides and through the middle. About ten feet high by 23or 24 long( there are some damn big boats in my crew!). Im gonna stop yakkin and design the damn thing on paper and make it happen. Thanks for chiming in hotrodguy. You coming to the roundup?

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I sourced a semi tarp from a swap meet....

them puppies are big mine was 68' long and 13' wide

got it for a paltry $15...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My students and I built a frame out of pvc pipe and used 6 mil vis-queen to cover and side it to paint their project cars when I was teaching an autoshop class. We even hooked the exhaust system that normally hooked up to the cars tailpipes to blow the fumes outside.

10. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I took some pictures yesterday.

Attached Files: