Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker vs Diamond back tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsledbuick, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone started a thread about coker tire problems and the thread is closed so ill start another one.
    I got my tires from Diamond back and never had a problem from them,when i ordered them i was qouted a $5.00 discount on each tire and i was going to pick them up my self in one week,i called back in a week and the dude that makes them was sick,i was cool with waiting some more(shit happens)the guy on the phone says its not my problem so he ships them to me for free and didnt even charge me taxes on them cuase they qouted me without them in the first place.
    Coker on the other hand were assholes.
    Jamie of dead city cc

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I put diamondbacks on my car two years ago because of the coker problems and because they were $100 cheaper for a set of 4 big and littles. (the two fronts were $50 cheaper each)

They were very friendly and helpful on the phone, and seemed genuinly interested in my projects. I recommended them to my boss who put them on his restored '50 packard, and has since drove it cross country on those tires. He got back and put another set on his restored falcon.

I'd buy another set in a heartbeat from diamondback.

3. I have a friend with a 49 caddy and he has had to replace all four of his cokers.He has probably only put 1000 miles on this car in two years.The tire kept having big knots come up on them.
    I had diamond backs on my double cab VW and my 58 chevy sedan delivery,I love them.

4. sawzall

sawzall

I have run both now..

the diamondbacks went about 30,000 miles before the whites started seperating..

(10 other hambers will now chime in and say the same thing happened to them, because apparently its common with diamonback)
    they were pretty shot, so I decided to go for a pair of cokers..

I really like the look of the cokers better.

the only complaint I have is that the smallest diam 15" cokers are larger than the smallest dbacks.. so now I have just the slightest of rub when the air ride is DOWN and I am turnin a corner..

if I go with wide whites again it will ride on cokers..

5. hatch

hatch
    from house

Aren't diamondbacks radials???...ugh

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I got a huge discount on my Cokers. I priced shopped DiamonBacks and they couldn't/wouldn't come close. I've got over 20,000 miles on them and they still look really decent.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

For a newbie, you need to do a little research on the HAMB first. Check out the "search" function.

That thread that was "closed" was closed for a reason. Corkey and Ryan have an understanding, and Coker has gone out of their way to rectify some problems that were exposed here on the HAMB with some of their original designs. If you had problems with them being "assholes" I would PM Corkey directly.

Coker has proved to be a stand-up company, (from what I have read) so before you come on here spouting off "Coker is an asshole", you'd be better off contacting Corkey and trying to get it resolved...from what others have posted they have been nothing short of helpful. Their HAMB Alliance is further proof.

Also, some people on here don't know the differences between a "bias ply" and "Radial" tire...each has their own inherent characteristics...and there is a reason why "bias ply" tires aren't sold in bulk anymore. Please do a little research and figure it out and come to your own conclusions for your ride. Bias ply= period correct, with certian drawbacks. Radial+wide whitewall= good looks & performance for most, but not right for some.

NOTE: I do not own Coker tires and have no affiliation with them...but I do plan on doing business with them when finances allow.

8. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I've had a set on my 50 Ford for 5 years. Outside edge of the WW is discolored just a little bit. I don't mind. It kind of fits the car. No other problems. I only run 24 psi in the rears. All that said I hope I didn't jinx them!

9. steves29 likes this.
  10. Chad s

Chad s

I have DB's on one car, and Cokers on the other. DB was able to give me a slightly bigger whitewall, but, the Coker wide white radials are a better looking tire than the DB's. The Cokers are made from the ground up to be a whitewall tire, the diamondbacks look like the whitewall was an afterthought, because it was.

Regardless, I am changing the DB's on my 47 ford to Bias Ply's from Universal Tire, as they make the 4.25" white wall Goodyear Super Cushions.

11. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I have ran both coker's and diamond backs on my cars, got no complaints with either, but this is great. When everyone else is complaining or commenting on two tire company's you throw another in the mix ( perfect ) I like your style . Gary

12. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Coker wins ...I run them on my coupe, no problems at all:)

13. lowride

lowride

I have participated in the Great Race for the last six years as a mechanic. We have used Coker bias plys on our cars exclusively with no problems other than we shave them to get em a bit truer. Also, knowing Corky Coker, He'd do anything he could to alleviate any problems incurred with his tires.

steves29 likes this.
  14. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I have to give credit where credit is due...Mr. Coker has offered to try and fix my problems but I was not really intrested since I run DB's right now and so many years have passed.

I had problems with the radials in the past...nuff said.

I had problems with some of his people...nuff said.

That fact that he personally contacted me says a lot about him.

He offered to try and make good with me. I was impressed.

Will I ever use his radials again...maybe.

I do like my DB's.

My dad has bought some Coker radials recently for his 58 and they seem to be fine.

So Mr. Coker does deserve props.

15. IGOR

IGOR

I've been through numerous sets of Cokers and not one problem. Always friendly on the phone and ready to help with any questions. Got a set of Diamond Backs for the van and as mentioned already, the white walls separated. Didn't take long. Maybe just a couple months. Talked to two guys at their tent in Charlotte and got the run-around on replacing 'em. That's enough for me.

16. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

I have had no problems with my Firestone bias ply from Coker, they gave me a great discount, had them at my door within a day, and they look great, perform like I expect from bias ply tires. I have three cars running them. Im buying another set very soon.

17. Gator

Gator

I personally won't ever deal with diamondback again. You won't care how much you saved when you get a big knot on the sidewall of one after a few thousand miles and they act like assholes when you try and get them to take care of it.

Nosir, I don't like 'em.

18. Muttley

Muttley

19. sololobo

sololobo

Both great companies!!! Most people are loyal to whatever they are running, both companies have had some lil problems and have done right by most people to resolve them. I can only speak for Cokers, I've had them on Lobo the 57 for a couple years and luv-em. Friends have some D.B.s and luv-em. Corky has done a ton for our trad side of the sport so I praise him for his hard work and roots start workin shows and developing his Co. Thank God for these cool guys still knocken out our beloved whitewall tires!!-Ride-On-Sololobo

20. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I have been running on coker wide white bias tires for many years on four cars with no problems yet.
    Corky Coker is a real car guy who really cares about customer satisfaction. Without his original molds the real deal tires that are NOT reproductions would not even be available. Their rubber quality is much improved from the old days.
    Obviously it isn't a perfect science.

21. Jess H

Jess H

I appreciate hearing the comments good and bad. We believe the most important aspect of any sale, is the service after the sale. We strive to provide the best products, information and service to our customers. Given the opportunity, we always take care of our customers. If you have a question or problem, please don't hesitate to call or email me.

Jess Hoodenpyle
    Customer Service/Sales Manager
    [email protected]
    1-800-251-6336 Ext. 263
    www.coker.com

rust runner likes this.
  22. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Set of Coker's or DB's?

That's what I'm afraid of.

23. I have Cokers on my 46 and 34...they look the best by FAR and I have no problems...will be getting a set for the 37 in Portland, too. The only car I do not have cokers on is my 41...just because I came across a scream'n deal on some Lesters...but when they wear out it will get Cokers. Radials just don't look good on a vintage car (my opinion)

Attached Files:

24. Never Die

Never Die

I plan on replacing 2 (at least, if I change my mind and go blackwall all 4 I 'spose) Denman WWW 600-16's with some 700s or 750s for the back, and will go with Coker's when I do simply because of their support of this site. I plan on getting an Alliance membership to take advantage of the discount, but the fact that they support this site and I get so much good info here would be enough of a reason for me regardless. Plus I've got no interest in radials on a fenderless car.

25. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel Cokers are better ( I run 600-16 bias ply ) because, as mentioned above, they are designed to be a whitewall tire. DB's, though I have never used them, along with any other tires with added white walls will separate in short order. Coker had the last set to me in Illinois is two days on standard shipping. I recomend them.

26. Chad s

Chad s

DB tires also get VERY thin in places where they have shaved down the sidewall to remove the original manufacturers markings. Its kind of scary.

27. Sorry if i offended anyone,specially seing that im a NEWBIE as someone called me,but it never hurts to ask what is better,i shared my experience and thats all,i never questioned Corkys integrity,on the contrary in glad of the work he does to help keep our lifestyle going from a position where he is heard and we are not,I also appreciate Jess h writing on here,it says a lot about the his concern of that company,when i wrote this thread I had only heard bad shit about coker tires and nothing about DB,now that im almost ready for new tires I wanted some input from other people on here.
    Thanks for the non assholes that did give me some good info,i greatly appreciate it.
    Jamie of Dead City MC/CC

28. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Gotta love a company that keeps the old-school stuff available to us AND has awesome customer service AND supports this site. Corky and his company are doing it right

29. movingviolation

movingviolation

Coker will be getting some of my money tommorrow.....They have the look and the support that makes the decision easy.

30. ray

ray
    from colorado

you called Coker assholes without any facts to back it up. consider yourself lucky to survive this thread with YOUR asshole intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.