Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Coilover ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Louie S., Oct 11, 2013.

1. Louie S.

Louie S.

When did coil overs come out? The project I am working on now, will be a mid sixties show car.

2. Jaguar was using them in the 60's. HRP

3. metal man

metal man

They were around in the sixties, but from pictures I've seen not widely used on hot rods. Plain ol' coil springs with a separate shock were very common on rods back then.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The general answer is: The technology of coil overs goes back to the 50s when they started using them on MCs and it wasn't long until road racers started to adapt them to their light weight formula cars. In 1961 A.J. Watson used full sized C/Os on his Champ cars.

Attached Files:

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Didnt ohio george run em for a short time on the front like the 2lane/graffiti '55

6. wood470

wood470

Used for overloads mostly. Pep Boys mustof sold millions

7. Saw a pair of very early looking coil overs on a '60 Chevy Bel Air a few years ago.. Don't know if they were factory but they sure looked it.

8. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

My old 48 Austin that ran D/G in the sixties and early seventies had Koni coilover front and back.Also had a four link with axle on the front.