Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coilover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swifty, Sep 4, 2009.

1. swifty

swifty

I know it's probably OT but I'm guessing a lot of the folks on here have had some experience with coil-overs. What I need to know is any experience with QA1 - good or bad? They are nearly half the price of Aldan which makes me wary and is this a case of you get what you pay for? QA1 tech info seems good and has given me enough to go ahead and order but I would like some feedback before I commit.

swifty

2. Gonna piss some people off, but Aldan coil over shocks suck hard. I have a nice collection of scrap examples, horrible dampening (if any) compared to just about anything and with any usage where the shock is the suspension limiter the top cap will pull out of the body or the shaft will pull out of the piston.

Can't complain too much about the QA1 shocks, I prefer the Bilstein coil overs myself.

3. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that ELpolacko, good to get some info. Surprisingly it appears that you are the only one of about 65,000 HAMBERS with coilover experience LOL
    Lucky I didn't dig deep and buy the Aldan units.

Anyone else got any comments?

swifty

4. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey ELpolacko I did a few searches couple months ago after my first failure with a QA1 the top mount removed its self from the body, did not find and bad press on the QA1s, though I may have engineered my rear suspension wrong triple ck every thing no culprit found. did you put a limit strap on the frame or how did you come to this conclusion ? Or just put on bilsteins and prob solved Thanks Andy

5. I recently help install adjustible QA-1 shocks and triangular rear suspension on a 51 Ford truck,,you would not believe how great it rides.

The adjustments go from so stiff it won't budge to so soft you can bounch down the road like a basketball

I agree with ELpolacko the Alden shocks are not very good.

I bought a set for my 32 coupe but haven't installed them yet. HRP

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  6. BinderRod

BinderRod

I run QA1 12 ways on my truck and love them. Just reach under and adjust the firmness of the ride or tune for the road. The only thing I wish I would have done and will do soon is to install progressive springs to compensate for load.

[​IMG]

7. I have used AFCO, Bilstien without any suspension limiters and do not have any issue with them coming apart. I have removed a set of QA1 shocks that were damaged, but due to improper installation. The previous shop had installed them on a 55 Nomad and used braided stainless steel brake hoses on the entire system. To make the connections to the rear calipers they used a union that happened to get caught in the coils, this caused the spring to arch and rub on the body of the shock nearly wearing a hole in the body in just a few weeks time. Their mounting method also had the upper and lower eyelets at 90 degrees to each other and this bent the main shaft. All in the shocks stayed together after all this abuse.

My honest conclusion, the Aldan shocks are pure billety crap and not worth your time or investment. They do not stand up to the quality of the other brands, hell even the cheapo All American shock TCI sells is better.

[​IMG]

8. swifty

swifty

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I better study the QA1 tech sheets now and make some decisions re length and spring rate etc

swifty

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Afco are good, bilstien are ok, and I have never used aldan.

On most of the drag racers I've built in the last 4 years have had Varishocks. http://http://www.cachassisworks.com/vas_home.html

QA1 is not a favorite of mine,, they are the remnants of Hal shocks. They bought the company and then basically fired everyone and brought in their own people. At first they were having lots of problems with quailty control and the tech line sucked. I'm sure that all of these things are fixed now, but I'm friends with Hal, and I feel that he and his family got the raw end of the stick.

I should also mention that the Varishocks were designed by Hal.

10. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

QA1's were good shocks years ago when the brand was first released (for racing shocks at least, they didn't have street shocks at first), then they were bought out and things went to hell.

If you can run another brand, I would do so.

I always ran AFCO and PRO shocks on my circle track cars, and I have AFCO threaded body aluminum shocks set aside for use on my '36 when I get that far.

I would walk a big circle around the QA1 stuff if I were you, they're not that much cheaper than the good brands.

11. TomWar

TomWar

I've used Pro-Shocks on 3 different cars, and have had no problems. I called the Co.
    and described my application and they told me what I needed, which worked out great.

12. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I have Pete & Jakes viper coilovers on two cars. They work great. I also had a set of aldan shocks that both leaked oil. You get what you pay for.