Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coil Springs, How far will new ones settle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buckle, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Buckle

Buckle

My friend recently put new front springs on his Biscayne, His car now sits two inches higher than before. Actually looks like his engine has been removed. He is thinking maybe they gave him big block springs by mistake, another friend said they will "settle". Anyone have an experience like this? I don't know what brand spring he purchased, but I could find out. Any input is appreciated.

Buckle

2. The won't settle 2" for sure. Well maybe after 20 years or so.

my last set of new coils settled almost half an inch and they were 6 cylinder springs with a small block shoehorned in. That was after about 2 or 3 years of hard drivein'.

3. Call the company that made the springs and ask them. They should know their product.

Yes, new springs will settle some, but how far I don't know. I've never swapped springs personally. Remember, the ones that were original to the car had been holding up weight for years, as well as being used for years. Who knows what they were subjected to. Rough living, railroad crossing jumps, Illinois roads, all these will take their toll.

4. Offy

Offy

Most coil over springs have a lifetime guarantee against "settling". 2" is gonna take a long, long time to settle without a hotwrench, coilover or no.

5. 2-TONED

2-TONED

those new springs are toooooo tall for almost everything. ive bought several at swapmeets etc for pennies on the dollar because people tried to put them in their cars or put them in & they sat a mile high. ---- whack a coil off if that isnt enough whack more off.
    i have a new set of lowered springs here & as soon as i can im whacking them off. ------ i keep hearing they settle but ive never seen them go down much on anyones car.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

They usually settle 1/2" to 1" in the first two weeks, at the most.

You'll need to cut them to get it to sit right.

That's the deal with one size fits all springs, they make them tall as shit so people in their big block/ a/c / p/s cars don't get pissed that their car is dragging speed bumps.

Also, his 40yr old springs had 40yrs to start sagging.

At first I thought they were for your '58, I had some witty comments for that. :D

7. Buckle

Buckle

Ha ha, no not for the '58! Man, every time I see your Avatar I have to smile :D Love it.

Buckle

8. Buckle

Buckle

Thanks everyone for your input, I'll forward to my buddy in an effort to help him sort this out.

Buckle