Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Coil Revitalization" is this legit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zgears, Apr 11, 2014.

1. zgears

zgears

2. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I totally understand the vacuum process to remove moisture, but the website says nothing about re-sealing the coil to prevent condensation in the future. The temps that coils run at is what causes moisture to condense on the inside of a leaky case.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a lengthy article about this process in the Early Ford V8 Club magazine a few years ago. It seems to be legit.

I would think that the decision to re-seal the coil should reside with the owner of the coil (originality concerns). Plus, how any of us drive our cars in the rain and through puddles any more?

I have no opinions on this particular commercial endeavor.

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

So when we clean them in a hot water pressure cleaner , blow them dry with air and spray with WD 40 thats a bad thing ???:eek:
    Cant buy in to this story !!!!!!!!

5. stimpy

stimpy

works on the big transformers why shouldn't it on the little ones , if its not filled with Pcb's its filled with parafinic oil which is hydroscopic . when we hauled the stuff the storage tanks and the trailers were nitrogen dry blanketed and it was a closed loop fill and unload operation ( quick connects w dry breaks) , and when we transfered it they thermal vacuum degassed it before putting it in there tanks .
    doesn't take much moisture to cause a flashover in a transformer, and that is what a coil is .

olscrounger likes this.
  6. tejays

tejays
    from australia

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, the article in the v8 club magazine was quite thorough and was done with proper controls. I see a lot of stuff in magazines and on the internet that make claims that are not adequately backed up with proper research and data. This was not one of them. I'm gonna see if I can find that article so others can see it. BTW, the article was for pre-war Ford coils; as such it may not be applicable to other coils.

8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Also the early Ford coils were filled with epoxy , not oil .

9. tubadon40

tubadon40

Did you ever find that article? I could sure use the details now with a stash of pre-war coils that misbehave.
    Please post again if you can provide leads to the procedure.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in Florida for the winter and my EFV8 magazine collection is in Minnesota. I'll try to remeber when I return in May, but may not remember. If you still want me to check, PM me after May 15.

11. tubadon40

tubadon40

Hey tubman. Just checking again as I never heard back from you after your fla. trip. I suppose your back there again now. I still want to complete the coil project here. Thanks for a reminder.
    Don

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course, it completely slipped my mind. I'm still in Minnesota, but am leaving the end of this week for Florida again. With all that's going on, I won't have time to dig through a bunch of magazines that I don't even know where they are. To further complicate matters, I let my membership in the EFV8CA lapse a few years ago.

I think your best bet would be to keep this thread going and ask if there is a member here that is a member of the Early Ford club (I'm sure there are many) that has a complete set of "The Early V8 Times" to see if they can find it. I believe that the club publishes periodic indices that may help in finding the article. If no help, try to get back to me next spring when I have some time.

13. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I work with large power transformers and moisture is a real problem. The moisture will mix with the oil and it degrades the insulation value of the oil. Weather it affects a coil, I don't know, but the science is in practice within the business. Its not unheard of to pull 15 gallons of water from a large unit that had no visible water.

Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app