Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coil is TOO hot to touch. WHY?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Aug 4, 2013.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I finally got around to changing the coil and condenser last night. Put in a supposedly higher quality coil without a resistor built in and put in the ceramic block resistor and she purrs like a kitten. I will pull a plug later this wknd when i get some real tools moved out here to the new place. Will also get my voltmeter and do some basic checks to make sure voltage is correct at the coil and that its not hot while turned off.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. channel cat

channel cat

scott why not convert it with a pertronics electronic conversion. a lot less headaches.

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When I had my 39 Deluxe coupe, I ran a coil with an internal resistor on that car. Drove it for over 25 years, and no problems at all. If I remember correctly that coil came from an American Motors product of some kind. I used it because it made the wiring simpler and looked clesner without a resistor hanging on the firewall

4. HRM

HRM

Maybe you could take the old guts from the dist and put a pertronix kit in it. That worked for me when I was experiencing a similar problem.

5. HRM

HRM

And if I would read all the thread I would see that my advice has been given! A day late a dollar short.....:D