Register now to get rid of these ads!

coff'n roll upholstery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53PlymCran, Jan 24, 2009.

1. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

Anybody have some good photos for reference of coff'n roll upholstery with the pop-buttons? I saw it in a car a few weeks back, and I'm having trouble finding anything online where somebody has a similar interior.
    ~Jt

2. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Do you mean diamond tuck?

3. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

What Gasser said. Where does this stuff come from?:confused:

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i dunno...it gives me a headache..

5. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Just another FNG that is clueless........Does make you wonder how he came up with that description.

6. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

Pardon me, Mr. Senior Member. I'm not retired, and I'm not into the over-the-hill car restoration clubs. I suppose if I had the time to post on average 3 times per day I'd have bumped my FNG status up to where yours is (fortunately, I have work and kids to keep me busy). You're on this forum for either sharing your knowledge, acquiring it or showing off your car, right? Sounds like you're just as clueless as to what that specific style of upholstery is actually called as I am.

No, I'm not confused or clueless. That is what the dude what owned the car called it.
    The guy's upholstery was what he called "coff'n roll" because it the way the inside of a coffin is upholstered. Here's what the "pop button" he referred to looked like, though his was white leather, with a blue button (of course his seats didn't have legs and all that other stuff):
    [​IMG]
    Now the rest of it, the door panels and the arm rests looked like... kind of like flaps laying on their side, almost waves. that's what I can't find images of. I don't know if it's actually called "coff'n roll", that's just what the guy referred to it as. If perhaps somebody does know what I'm referring to, please, instead of just referring to my idiocy, please give me the suggestions.

7. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I've always heard of it as either 'button tufted' or 'diamond tufted'. Try a search on google images and I'll bet you find what you're after. Good luck.

PS...that's a cool couch. I may have to make one some day.

8. tragic59

tragic59

Try searching for it as "diamond tuck". I would be very surprised if there aren't a couple of threads with pics of that style interior on the HAMB already. So your first search could be here on the HAMB.

It's a common interior style in Lowriders, so you could try flipping through some Lowrider Magazines, or internet sites as well.

Good luck.

9. RECOVERY ROOM

RECOVERY ROOM
    from NEBR

In are part of the country it is called BUTTON TUFT with diamond pleats,It is used for a lot of old style furniture 1800's to present.Sometimes the descriptions are different in other areas.

10. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

I did the search for button tufted, and it's exactly that... I wonder why the guy would call it pop-button..
    As to the rest of it, the rolled / folded part, I suppose I'll have to just keep my eye out of another car with that style and snap a quick photo if allowed. Thanks for the reply!

11. it reminds of the couch my parents had in the 70's. please don't do that to your car.

12. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i know if i went to someones house and they had a couch like that...i'm sitting on the floor.

13. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

LOL. that couch is "to die for".............. Sorry :eek:

14. bigdaddygary

bigdaddygary
    from corinth ms

search the 1980's 5th ave chrysler they came out with tufted seats. It's really not hard to do once you get it layed out. Are you wanting to do it yourself ?

15. Larry T

Larry T

A LOT of 60's era T buckets used diamond tucked interiors.
    Larry T

16. monsterflake

monsterflake

that couch is diamond "tucked", or tuft or tuct or whatever. coffin pleats are mostly found in lowriders, and usually in velvet...

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

biscuit tucked...[​IMG]

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

coffin pleats...

[​IMG]

19. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Where the hell are the gas and brake pedals?

20. monsterflake

monsterflake

behind the panel!

21. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

wow I totally want that couch... that thing is pimp as hell... thats rad!

as far as the the leather diamond tuck thats pimp as hell for a car but I dont know about the biscuit tuck ... that would soooo get destroyed in 5 minutes from how i look when I get off of work

22. Back in the early 70s my 32 Ford coupe had diamond tuck crushed velvet interior.Don't like the velvet anymore,but i love the diamond tuck in leather still.It looks great if you are going to do a period 60s-70s interior.My old 2 cents.

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Jt,

This style of upholstery is known as tufting, or "Diamond Tufting" depending on whether the shapes between the buttons are diamond shaped or not. The "coff'n roll" as far as I know is refered to as an "edge roll" or "gathered roll" depending on how muck extra fabric is left gathered when the roll is constructed.
    Sorry I've no photos to post for you.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

24. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

eh, it's kind of like that. I guess that's about the best example I'll be able to use.

no... no no no, I am not doing that to my car, good gaudy!
    I already have materials I ordered from Kanters. I only wanted a photo as a reference so I could show it to somebody, because I couldn't explain it (apparently I was hard pressed to do so here, too!).

Thanks for all the answers. Seems like the guy just didn't know what it was called, because from the photos, seems like the folks here do.

25. bubba69

bubba69

I asked my interior guy and he called it biscuit cut upholstery. Hope this helps.

26. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

i wouldnt mind doing the leather diamond tuck in my 63 cadillac or my 64 Comet Caliente... looks pretty sweet.. But I think Im still gonna do my original thought of re-upholstering the seats with mexican blankets... theres still something that draws me to that for some reason... looks kinda sweet

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Could I just say,,before you go flying off the handle there..you just said

"I don't know if it's actually called "coff'n roll", that's just what the guy referred to it as."

So when someone says do you mean something else,,do get so all high and mighty,,they asked a question to get a better understanding and your question was vague.

May if you posted your follow up post first everyone would have known from the start what you ment

gezus

28. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

no problem...

The first paragraph you've quoted there was written to lostn51's asshole-ic response, "Just another FNG that is clueless."

The part you're referring to that was from the rest of the post was in response to everybody else. I wasn't trying to be rude, and folks I apologize if it came across that way, honestly. I was trying to be more descriptive since I was, indeed, too vague in the first post.

Perhaps I earned the jerkoff response by lostn51 by not being clear enough. Perhaps not.

*steps down from his brand new FNG soap box*

Cheers.
    ~Jt