Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects COE build thread - "Git r' done"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It always amazes me, how much time the "thought up" custom stuff can take, but it is what makes our projects individual.

2. xtremek

xtremek

Dude that is some of the most intense and nice fabrication I've seen. Not as fast as Csander, but who of us is? Keep up the good work.

3. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

I find planning/designing takes just as long if not longer than the actual building of projects. Especially when it comes to things like those hinges.

We have a few pro built cars where I live and people will always bitch/complain/scoff at how these owners have $100k + in these cars. I think to myself "wtf do these people know?". I like to customize everything I touch and it takes forever. I have spent 6-8 hours building a little bracket or mount. Now multiply that by $80-$100/hr and it adds up like crazy. If you want an affordable hot rod you have to build it yourself but that doesn't mean you can't build something bad ass like this project.

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

I totally did acid today man....I was like totally tripping . It was soooo groovy dudes.

(I cleaned rust off the grooves in the metal using acid and had so much stuff pulled out that I was tripping over it.)

It was so awesome.

(it was good)

Now I like, need to smoke something...hey, Dave's not here man.

(Time to weld and no Dave is not here)

5. It look's like your next move will have to be to Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lookin good! Any chance of you making the BBQ Saturday?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

Yeah Tim, I'm really hoping to make the BBQ. I will have lots of ugly welds showing, but hey, it's BBQ!

Hey...I just got the Colorado joke. (translated - Wow I'm slow)

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Eh my car will need wet sanded and buffed it's fine haha

9. I don't get it, Why Colorado, hey I am an Aussie so I am excused, right ?

Seeya
    Bill

10. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

They passed some laws in Colorado allowing people to smoke drugs legally. Just another effort to drive this country into the ground.

11. OK, No more jokes, back to topic!

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

Just a few views with box on truck with door and sail panel...hard to get a good photo in there. Weird how different things appear in a photo vs. just looking at it in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

They need to upgrade this forum with some like buttons.

[​IMG]

14. kscarguy

kscarguy

Took my black COE out for a drive to see a White...located a half mile away from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool! Hopefully the weather holds out and I get to see that black one tomorrow :)

16. Carguy, Can you post photos of your front fender and wheel as one pic?
    I was doing a wheel mock up and felt the same radius extension would really enhance the look. Might lower the step too but i wont know until I get the suspension going.
    Nice lookin 'COE.

17. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

Any info on the white truck? I know where one is sitting, less sleeper.

18. xtremek

xtremek

I love the new shortened look. Great proportions.

19. Mike,I too like the shorter look . Blue

20. kscarguy

kscarguy

For those who might not have heard, we finally bought a house. It is a slightly older fixer-upper built in 1902. Beautiful stone house on a very scenic lot. Someone added a three car garage addition in the 1970's, but the doors are 6" too short for my COE. It has 6.7 acres and a horse barn too. Needless to say, we are both excited and terrified by this purchase as 6.7 acres is a lot of mowing...oh, we also bought both of their John Deere mowers in the deal.

My wife, bless her heart, thinks the garage is the number one priority. The plan is to either raise the header over the doors or remove several feet of concrete garage floor and pour new concrete at an angle to drop the door 6". (gravel driveway can be graded down before a new drive is installed)...third option is air bags, forth is let the air out of the tires...fifth is remove the front wheels and roll it on the rotors.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

"excited and terrified" yeah that sounds about right haha.

i made sure to measure the garage at the house we looked at yesterday after hearing your door delima but glad to hear you got it! youll have to have some of us hoodlums over for a house warming or a barn burner after you get settled in haha

I think id vote lifting the door header unless the garage floor is already garbage and needs replaced.

dropping into the garage could cause some weird "oh i didnt think of that" kinda stuff to happen and bags would work on your already low truck until some one forgets to drop it before rolling in and makes a mess of things.

Id start a garage journal build thread on it so we can see what you end up doing :) and itd be a great place for finding solutions to your door problem that you may have not come up with yet.

good seeing you the other day and congrats again on the house!

22. xtremek

xtremek

Congrats on the purchase! I vote bags and header combined. We own 10 acres but only mow about 1 1/2-2 of them. Would the COE fit in the horse barn? Convert the barn into a massive workshop?

23. This was my remedy. LOL My garage is rude and crude so I'm not concerned about the decor and the header wasn't load bearing so a couple of hours with an air chisel solved the problem. I had already replaced the roll-up doors with by-folds like they put in airplane hangers.

Attached Files:

24. kscarguy

kscarguy

So far the initial estimates for improvements (not including my labor or time) is $65k...or the price of one 63 corvette. This includes $10k for a new 400' long driveway with a concrete pad up by the garages. I need to figure out how to get that cost down by $15K.

Moving the horse barn closer to the house and putting it on a new "taller" foundation with a concrete floor is a definite option. It would be the size of a three car shop. I'm not sure it is deep enough for my COE or if the inspector would let us relocate it without adding additional structure to it to bring it up to code.

Property inspection is on Thursday. Make-it or Break-it day. We expect lots of problems and might try to negotiate the price down. They do have a backup offer, so negotiations might be fruitless.

I am nervous about lead paint too. If this falls through, my housing solution might be to build a new house. Dang this is hard.

25. you need to think creative Mike ;):p
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GfQlWCufkRo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  26. Thanks for bringing out the COE Saturday, it's an amazing build!

27. kscarguy

kscarguy

That is a funny video. I fully expected him to crawl out through the roof.

Thanks Nate, we had a great time....FYI-please bring any leftover bratwurst to our house for lunch...LOL! We did get caught in a little rain on the way home, but just a light sprinkle.

I really need to get this house thing figured out so I can get back to work on the COE. I am having a hard time getting focused.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well if you need a hand you now know way more local people don't be afraid to give a hollar

29. :D That's the funniest thing I've read all day! Later that night Zach asked if there were any brats left, so I checked with the house general, she said yeah... 1. so Zach ate it!

We have decided HAMBers don't leave leftovers. :rolleyes:

30. kscarguy

kscarguy

Ordered the new radio for the COE (Jensen VM9216BT with the flip screen). I will get the NAV 104 accessory to go with it later. It is just a plug in module.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.