Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cody and Bodi in "The Butterknife of Patriotism Tour"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, May 21, 2013.

1. So, it was time for my annual migration to the great white north here last week. A buddy of mine by the name of Cody flew in to town to help with the loading of all of my stuff, and enjoy a tour across this great nation. So, come last Tuesday, we loaded all my stuff in the truck, and on to the trailer, and headed out to spread freedom across a swath of this great nation. Here's the C10 sitting at The Favela loaded to the gills with liberty.
    [​IMG]
    The truck looking a little loaded down.
    [​IMG]
    Not the most organized packing.
    [​IMG]
    My $200 trailer carrying so much 'Merica.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

You have a Honda Trail 70? ....no fair :)

Travel Safe!

3. On the trip down, I took the straightest, fastest route available in order to make it in time for the Southwest Nostalgia Drags. For this trip I decided we should take our time, partially for amusement, and partially because we would be testing the C10 pretty hard. My buddy had never been to the Grand Canyon, so, that was a must. Here's the previous route compared to this springs route.
    [​IMG]

4. We set off Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, early on I didn't get many pictures. I was busy driving a truck, and towing a trailer. I was more concerned with getting comfortable with the trailer, and keeping an eye on the gauges than taking photos. Cody has some photos, and if I can get my hands on them, I'll add them later.

I started my first photos at the Grand Canyon, once the long climb north had ended.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

You might be coming home a few days early...it's raining here :)

6. Near Prescott AZ, I noticed a whine coming from the rear diff. I checked it out, and found that the pinion seal that I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE REPLACED BEFORE I LEFT:rolleyes::D had decided to completely give up the ghost. All whom followed closely for the rest of the day were free avail the front of their cars with a high quality coating of liberty.:p Liberty often looks and smells like gear oil. Cody was able to squeeze underneath the loaded truck, and he added 20 ounces to top off the diff. It would take more than a pinion seal to stop The Butterknife of Patriotism. There was too much freedom left to be spread.

We refueled in Cameron AZ, and the heavy wind filled the cab with gasoline when the automagic pump overfilled the tank. Patriotism often smells like unburned low-test.

We headed north for Page. We were still taking it easy, not knowing how quickly the rear diff was slinging its' fluid out the front. I had already picked up a seal, but, wanted to get checked in to a hotel before I swapped it out.

I decided that Page would be a good location to stop for the night, and it wasn't a long trip. It wasn't a long trip UNTIL we were detoured through Tuba City AZ. It added at least an hour and a half to our days journey.

However, we were rewarded with some scenic country, and one hell of a sunset.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That ended day one. We had a long day, and hadn't made it far. I had work to do to make sure the truck would survive the trip. That night the pizza of Page AZ was mediocre, and the French women ample.

7. LostHope

LostHope

Right on bodi! I enjoy the pictures, one day i want to see the grand canyon in person....I also admire you for driving the wheels off your truck ...I think its Rad! Have a safe trip up north with you friend and continue the liberty spreading!

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

See ya next time! Be safe....

9. jerry

jerry

You're getting to see some of the better parts of Ariz!

Be safe and see you in the fall.

jerry

10. I know! Too late for the record breaking heat, and just in time for rain, and our bridge to collapse! What the hell?!?!?:rolleyes:

Thanks man, as another guy who drives the hell out of a C10, I always appreciate your input.

Home safe, and all went well. See you guys soon! Chip has your decals. Enjoy.

Thanks Jerry, I had a great time hanging with you this winter. I'll see you soon. Hope your eye is getting better quick.

Sorry all for the delay. The internet here is pretty crappy. We don't have springs of Wifi on every corner up here in Sauk City like The Favela and the surrounding area does. Hell, our interstate doesn't even have a bridge.:D

11. I love a road trip. Enjoy and keep safe.

12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Sorry I didn't get to see you off dude. At least the Cabby should be done by the time you get back.

13. AND SO BEGINS DAY TWO: I started the morning by plugging the hole in the rear diff, topping it off, and loading up the butterknife with a fresh batch of liberty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I need to pile some more stuff on that dash to really get the full hillbilly effect. In other news, my new sunglasses are simply ravishing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last 3 are of Lake Powell, which Page Arizona sits near. It's one of the coolest places in the world, and a heck of a place to own a boat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. I just realized that I very well may have one of the most highly photographed C10 hoods in the world. Quantity over quality of course.

15. No problem man. There were a lot of people I meant to say bye to before I left, but, you know how things go. For the last few days I was moving pretty quick.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I will vouch for the sunglasses! Damned pretty...

17. [​IMG]
    Welcome to beautiful Utah. No worries, I brought tons of Sprite for barter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was the scene most of the day. She ran a touch on the warm side, but, considering that we were climbing so often, and hauling as much as we were I have NO complaints.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My biggest regret is that we didn't take the time to cruise through the Bryce Canyon Park. I've been through the area before, but, it is always stunning. If you ever make it to the area, DON"T MISS IT!
    [​IMG]
    Big puffy clouds of freedom!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you lived here, you would already be home.
    [​IMG]
    Happy Polygamist cows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Road construction signs usually mean you've reached the edge of Salt Lake City.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    During this dark stretch we trudged through Salt Lake City. It was a treacherous journey filled with obstacles trying to dislodge the liberty from The Butterknife of Patriotism. There were potholes the size of Nordic teenagers, seriously, at times I thought I'd hit people. I've never bottomed out a nearly stock C10, but, SLC is the place to accomplish that task. On top of that, there was: A sandstorm, blinding sunshine, driving rain, a double rainbow, a single car rollover in which a Hispanic man lost a flip flop, and tractor trailers hauling millions of bees, many of which ended up in my truck. If anyone in Utah is missing a bunch of honey bees, tough shit, they're mine now.

We ended the day in Ogden Utah. The pizza was again OK, and the crackheads were frisky.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  18. i drove by mcdonalds around 6;30-7 tonight in your honor. keep up the patriotic journey.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damnit dood, by 7:45 we were buzzing the back parking lot on go karts and mini bikes... You missed it!

20. figures. day late, dollar short.

21. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

Great story so far! Love it!

22. [​IMG]
    And so began day 3. Salt Lake City had done it's damage. A broken exhaust hanger, some cracked exhaust tubing was making a racket, and my hood latch was getting less and less confidence inspiring. Zipties solved the hood issue, and the exhaust is getting redone anyways, so, onward.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We had survived Utah with nearly all of our Sprite intact.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No offense to the Idahoans, but, this pretty much concludes Idaho. Idaho has some beautiful areas, but, the interstate through Twin Falls and Boise isn't one of them. If I had gotten off the interstate, and gone the few miles south to the Snake River Gorge the pictures would be a FAR better representation of Idaho. At this point of the trip I was just trying to put down some miles. Also, HEY LOOK EVERYONE! The stuff on my dash changed! Isn't this exciting?!?!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to Oregon. Where gas pump attendants won't listen to you about the "trickiness" of filling a 1964 gas tank with a modern pump, and instead learn the hard way. Education often looks and smells like a nice misting of fuel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Approaching the Blue Mountains.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Coming down out of the Blue Mountains under a nice sunset. I gave all of Pendleton a nice split 6 rattling coming down off of the hill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

sweet trip. nothing like a long trip in an old piece of American Iron

24. Stupid question time............. Why are they called the Blue Mountains?

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The namer was colorblind?

26. From about 20 miles out the constantly grey skies make them appear blue more often than the green they are.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey dude, just noticed the location change/addition! Good to see!

28. Technically I have them backwards seeing as I spend more time there. PS, It's raining. Hug a woman in a sundress for me.

29. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Had no idea there was still such a thing as "pump attendants".