Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coachbuilt early Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

These crop up from time to time on various threads: bespoke bodywork on early Ford chassis.

I'll start with this German '29 A cabriolet, which James D posted on my sedanca coupé thread:
    James D A01.PNG James D A02.PNG
    (Edit 27/01/18: apologies for the poor image quality. These are recovered from Google image search caches after the original links were broken.)

Here's a '31 boattail, courtesy of Rikster:
    [​IMG]

I know that there are lots more. Let's see them!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This one!

Attached Files:

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That's the Buehrig replica mentioned on the Ford Barn, I believe?

It's almost time for some robust and practical coachwork from the Antipodes. Anyone?

5. carbuilder

carbuilder

One of my customers has the original Buehrig Model A it is called the Baby Dusey as the work was done at the Dusenberg factory. At present I am building a radiator shell for his 1916 Ames clover leaf bodied model T Ford.

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0178.jpg IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0025.jpg People have sometimes asked me if my 33 Fordor Victoria Convertible Sedan was Built in Europe.it was'nt.I Had a plainold 33 Fordor and visioned a Vicky Convert so I cut the top off,cut the rear body panel off,moved the roofline up to eliminate the 1/4 windows,moved the rear body beltline up to same measurements as a Victoria,then used the roof to create the new rear body panel with a trunk opening,cutup an old decklid and fitted it to the opening and hinged it off the rear floor.I think Henry would like it .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  7. retromotors

retromotors

Don't know about Henry, but I love it ....!!!:D

Dave Mc likes this.
  8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Damn Dave, that's slick!!! Got any build pics? [sorry for the hijack :D]

Dave Mc likes this.
  9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My33Before.jpg our pic`s 044.jpg our pic`s 042.jpg I do have Build pics,but got a new computer and need to transfer the pics onto it,right now they are on a CD. thanks for the compliments,the Car often goe's unnoticed.very few people see it as something different.here is a photo of what I started with,was a derelict dragged out of a ravine in Nevada, I used a beatup 1938 Chevy Trunklid,Dissected it ,downsized it to fit my Roofhole/Trunk opening.I re-used almost everything I cutoff the orig car and put it back together in different places.I will add more build pics.

JalopyJimbo and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

To me that is one of the nicest "custom" bodies out there, I like subtile changes, that cause a second look that make you study the details. The German body that the Op posted is a real head turner too. Looks like it has Citroen style wheels, grille bars are the only thing I think I'd remove.:)

Dave Mc likes this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

This appears to be a recent build:
    [​IMG]
    '29 Ford Riley Special. Some strange details (I think it would benefit from more conventional wheels) but agreeably low.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    JalopyJimbo likes this.
  12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That is interesting. One would expect the C-pillar treatment to be awkward, but somehow it isn't.

I seem to remember another '33/'34 four-door Victoria, done a few years ago. If I remember correctly it was a burgandyish colour, and wasn't a convertible. But I think we digress.

Dave Mc likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just noticed you're in South Africa Ned, shows how observant I am. That "Riley Roadster" was a too many features going for it, some don't blend well IMO. At first glance if the rear wheels were removed it would look like a Mid 1930"s Morgan Trike.

14. Dave Mc likes this.
  15. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Damn nice looking car!

Dave Mc likes this.
  16. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I fretted over the C-pillar or Sail panel,thought it was going to detract from the look of the car as I was building it,then a good friend of mine said"Hell,if it's the only one out there,they'll think it is supposed to look like that"guess he was right,never had anyone mention it before.Thanks for the interest. oh yeah,forgot to mention it is powered by a fuel injected 302 with AOD Trans. from 92 Mustang

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    Dave Mc likes this.
  18. RussTee

RussTee

Starting with the model tees here in NZ we had what were called colonial bodied car most looked dam terrible some of the roadsters had the name pregnant bodied tees the motors and chassies were imported from Canada and the bodies built here same with model As though to a lesser extent and mainly only trucks with the V8s. It was common that the 26/7 tees here called New Beautys had different colour paint jobs and many had shocks fitted some had dropped axels {produced by Ford] fitted and Ruxtels were a dealer option. At that time Fords were starting to show their age and getting harder to sell

19. Maybe OT, but here´s a similar 32 Bugatti three window.

[​IMG]

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    I'm still waiting for someone to chime
    in and complain that those wheels are
    a bit too 'modern' looking and that they're
    not 'traditional'!!! :eek::eek:LOL!:D
    Mart3406
    ====================

21. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

our pic`s 014.jpg our pic`s 022.jpg our pic`s 031.jpg our pic`s 028.jpg our pic`s 030.jpg our pic`s 037.jpg our pic`s 032.jpg our pic`s 034.jpg our pic`s 041.jpg our pic`s 036.jpg our pic`s 046.jpg our pic`s 054.jpg our pic`s 012.jpg IMG_0179.jpg JelliPups5179 017.jpg Build pics = 33 Fordor Vicky Convertible Sedan. I have lots more but this will kinda explain the steps taken...for instance.to create the rear pkg shelf I used the cap directly over the rear window( fig.46) ,inverted it and installed a Harley Davidson clutch handle for trunk opener,I re-used almost everything I cutoff the car,put it back another way.used pieces from the rear window garnish mldg to make the rear door garnish mldgs round where I shortened the roofline,the rear doors were square at the upper rear before etc. etc.... and on and on = lotsa work,but you only gotta do it once :)

Ron Funkhouser, hfh and 2Blue2 like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is really neat to study! I never would have guessed that was the roof for the top of the trunk. Very few guys do lead these days. Thanks for posting the photos.

Dave Mc likes this.
  23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I take it you're referring to this one?

It is rather more French than German, especially the curl at the front of the rear fenders and the "horse-drawn coupé"-style body with separate trunk behind. I believe there is more than one Bugatti that follows that pattern.

24. That, was my exact thought too!:rolleyes: Great thread, that is an interesting build Dan Mc. I've toyed with the idea for years, to leave the roof off my Chevy, and alter the roof line to build a B-400 style soft top.:eek::eek:

Dave Mc likes this.
  25. You example really harks a long way back with the style. It looks very "horse drawn" or Hansome cab style, as you say.

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Something that rather appealed to Jean Bugatti:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the same web page there are some Bugattis described as "Million Guiet". A French coachbuilder? I have not heard the name, but the style reflects the body on a Minerva of which I have an illustration and which inspired another coachbuilt early Ford idea on my part:
    Grand-Street 02.JPG

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Dave Mc likes this.
  27. The last hurrah of these - literally - "trunks", seems to have been as an accessory for various cars in the 1930s. Potters trunks.

[​IMG]

This may appeal also...

[​IMG]

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I have a picture somewhere of a 6½-litre Bentley fabric saloon bought new by the Prince of Wales, fitted with a trunk that came apart as four or five separate containers of various shapes and sizes.

I'd like to build a trunk for the '31. I have yet to figure out the construction.

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Here it is, from jimi'shemi291's extinct make thread:
    [​IMG]

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

www.coachbuilt.com A few different ones here. European coach builders certainly did things differently