Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billj, Aug 6, 2010.

1. billj

billj

I have a shoebox ford with a 289 in with a 3 speed ford transmission. The clutch pedal on the shoebox has an arm that goes through the frame and then actuates the clutch with a mechanism. The 3 speed tranny I have is a push type arm to actuate the clutch. Could I just attach a rod to the arm from my stock clutch lever and pull the clutch arm from behind instead of pushing it which would require alot of fab work.
    It looks so easy, is there something I am missing? I hope I explained this good enough.

Thanks for any thoughts, Bill

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

the clutch arm doesn't "know" wether its being pushed or pulled.

3. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I have a '49 F-1 with a 289 and a 4-speed. I found a bell housing that had a provision for a cable driven clutch and used a mustang style cable. The cable itself is a little long, and it takes some time to find the right spot to mount it since there is no adjustment, but it works well. I used a clevice to hook it up to an arm which is hooked up to the clutch pedal. There is also a company that is making mustang style cables shorter and more heavy duty for just these types of applications.

4. billj

billj

Thanks, I will look into that.