Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Clutch noises

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StarDiero75, Mar 29, 2018.

1. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

So i just replaced my clutch with the old 3 finger design since the diaphram style was eating TO bearings. So this is right after first fire up, never left the garage.

I think it sounds like a TO bearing that sucks. What do you all think?

It only makes this noise when the pedal is on the floor, otherwise its not there.

Thanks guys
    Ryan

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Through-out -bearing is dry/bad

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

If it only makes the noise when the pedal is all the way on the floor, the clutch cover fingers are coming into contact with the springs in the clutch disc.

Are the splines on the input shaft of the trans nice and smooth? I've seen heavily abused transmission input shafts with questionable splines. The result of that is sometimes the disc can not move freely on the splines and sometimes drags on either the pressure plate or the flywheel. If the disc is dragging on the pressure plate, it can cause the noise you are hearing. This is generally pretty rare, but worth mentioning. The next one is more likely.

With a Mopar clutch, (and I've seen it happen in other vehicles with mechanical clutch linkage), there is a specific clutch departure clearance. If you exceed that specified clearance by much, the cover fingers can come into contact with the disc springs. The noise you are hearing is probably the clutch fingers making contact with the clutch.

Its a result of the pedal or zee bar having too much travel, or the free play is incorrectly adjusted. Sometimes its a result of miss matched parts being used as a unit. If you continue to make the noise, you will rip the springs out of the clutch disc, pretty quickly I might add.

With one of my Mopars I had to put a pedal stop on the floor. Gene

4. The new one in my Ford was noisy at first, but quieted down. It used to sing between 2500 and 3200 RPM in 4th gear but only for about a week.

Boneyard51 likes this.