Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke Jivetalker, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Ok, so we put the new clutch assembly in the coupe, fired her up, now instead of the clutch being "on" all the time, I can't get ANY clutch at all Is there an adjustment for the clutch fork somewhere? I've bled the slave til it's all fluid, no air at all, there is a small screw on the back of the scattershield, and it seems as if this is some sort of pivot adjustment, where should it be set? It's a T-10 4 speed, Lakewood Scattershield, Hydraulic slave cyl. setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Skip

2. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

i ran a lakewood scatter sheild on mine, i had to order the bigger pivot ball.
    the smaller one didnt work, it didnt give me full adjustment.(summit carrys them, but does not show them in there catalog) i installed the bigger one and it all fell into place (although i had to weld the pivot ball insert to the scattersheild)
    set the throwout bearing aproxx .030 from the pressure plate spring, and you should be golden.

also, have someone push the clutch in while you see if the slave is working properly

3. Thanks, I'll be doing that in the morning, when you say bigger pivot ball, how big are you talking? Is there a noticeable difference in size from small to big?
    Thanks Again
    LJT

Oh yeah, the slave is working just fine, it seems like it's just not pushing the throwout arm far enough, does that make sense?

4. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

the pivit ball that i first had was a 3/8-16 thread that was aprox, 1.5" in length, the new one was a 7/16-16 thread and was about 2.5" long, its alot heavier duty. and the face of the pivit is noticablly bigger also.

5. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

makes perfect sence! if the clutch fork (throwout arm)isnt where it needs to be, you wont get full engagement of the clutch, but when you get that pivot ball, dont extend it out all the way, or your clutch fork will hit the pressure plate and piss you off! been there done that! find a happy medium.
    just make sure that your throwout bearing is about .030" away from the pressure plate spring.
    btw... in my application (68 pontiac tempest m-20) i started with a hyd. clutch... i hated the way it felt, i eventually switched back to manual linkage, not to say that you wont like it... but food for thought