Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch Help - 1970 C-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63ChevyII, Feb 7, 2006.

1. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I pulled the old engine out of my truck(Chevy c-10 w/ a 292) today and am getting ready to put the rebuilt one in.

I know very little about working on vehicles, so as simple as some of my questions may seem, I really appreciate all of the help I can get. So here they are, a million and one dumb questions...

Here are pics of the new and old crankshaft ends. Why doesn't the old one have the pegs(not sure what else to call them) sticking out of it? Also, I was told to take a look at the bushing? It isn't there, is it(the bronze looking stuff is oil/grease from my finger)? Is there a difference between a pilot bushing and a pilot bearing, or are they the same thing?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pics showing the condition of the clutchplate & flywheel surfaces and the input shaft. Do I need to get anything resurfaced? I didn't have any problems with the clutch when I started pulling the engine apart. The throwout bearing is the bearing on the input shaft, right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have decided to replace the throwout bearing and clutchdisk since everything is part already. The question is, should I just buy an entire clutch set instead?
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=FEN&mfrpartnumber=NU5551&parttype=244&ptset=A

I'd rather not spend this much, b/c as always, money is very tight right now.

What is this, oil pressure sensor? How do I get it out?

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

2. Retrorod

Retrorod

Those "pegs" are solid steel dowels used to help pilot the flywheel and assist the flywheel bolts in transmitting the torque. That way the bolts can retain the flywheel better. You will need a pilot bushing in the crankshaft to allow the input shaft to pilot properly. Alot of guys are now using the late model bearing in place of the old scintered bronze bushing but if aligned properly a bushing will still go a zillion miles. Your friction surfaces look ok, I would surface the flywheel if it was mine, and use the whole kit. I'd hate to have to take it apart again to fix clutch chatter. That sender can be easily removed with a large socket, I used to have one specifically for those things but a regular deep socket is just as good.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

When you re-assemble it, put a LIGHT coat of waterproof grease on the splines and collar (where the release bearing slides)... it helps everything work better. The bronze pilot bushing has no moving parts, so it can't come apart like the new Chinese bearings do. Hope you indexed the pressure ass'y to the flywheel so you can re-install it where it was-if it didn't vibrate before ...

4. squirrel

squirrel

it's like deja-vu all over again!

The oil sender unscrews, but you'll want to buy a new one to put in the new engine, as they start to leak after a while.