Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Clutch chatter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Feb 18, 2015.

1. I have a 327 and 4 speed Saginaw in my '39 pickup. I'm getting a pretty heavy chatter when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Is there a way to adjust that out of it or am I in for a flywheel resurface? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424311427.508981.jpg

Thanks -

2. stimpy

stimpy

try a readjustment first , as it can be a sign of its to the point of needing it , as I have seen things like this when people set there adjustments up to the edge and a little wear is all it takes .

3. I dont think you are going to like my comments here but I'll post anyway...Are you using your truck for road racing and need all the downshifting?? or just using it for braking??..Flywheel surface has nothing to do with your problem..I suggest you look at your method of engine,trannny mounting..and not use them as brakes any more...After all,you can tear up a cannonball..

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I second the idea that it is NOT the flywheel surface that is the root of your clutch chatter problem, especially if it doesn't chatter when starting off. Driveline mounts, angles and suspension issues is where I also recommend careful investigation.

Is your truck on a modified original chassis or a donor chassis? The photo you included appears to indicate the front axle centerline is well back from the center of the wheel opening. That prompts the question about chassis mods.

Ray

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

A lot of times a loose or missing pilot shaft bushing is the culprit.

6. Thanks guys- wbrw32- thankfully I'm not going to not like your comment. I appreciate you taking your time and helping me along. I don't do any roadracing with my beater truck but I've always liked a bit of engine braking when approaching a stop.
    The reason I asked was because I have not experienced such an isolated chatter. Only when slowing down and only in second gear. Truck is new to me and I'm just getting acquainted with it. Just experimenting, I pulled away from a dead stop beginning in second gear and it had no problem.
    Ray- It does have a mid 80s GM front suspension. It is both a bad photo angle and the front wheels aren't centered in the wells. It has a set of bobbed off truck fenders on it while I search for a set of pickup fenders to fit to it. It was set up using a pair of the proper pickup fenders so it should get better when they are in place.
    Thanks again- Greg

7. the medicine for curing most ills in life is not very tasty..niether is the "medicine" for the ills of your truck...like it or not...