Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch Advice Needed 1000 HP & Lenco?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John T., Jul 28, 2011.

1. John T.

John T.

Since I have put my car together I have had clutch issues. I'm using a Haye's 6 finger race clutch with a single disc, (this is what they recomended). It is the most agressive disc I can get. I have close to the max of 1280 pounds of base pressure in it, another 360 pounds in the static pressure and a bunch of weight on the fingers. It is slipping horribly.

At the track I have tried to make 2 passes. With a decent tune on the car my 60 foots were 1.59 & 1.61. I honstley think it should be 1.2 or 1.3?

I'm guessing power about 800Hp with the boost down to about 10 pounds for street driving.:cool:

watch the burnout video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joOuquMOXx8

I have had the car apart this summer and will be putting it back together in the next week or so. Does anyone have any recomendations what to do for or with the clutch? Borg Warner style? Ram duel disc?

I want to spin the tires and don"t want to have to be adjusting it all the time. I plan on pretty much just driving it on the street. Not worried about the clutch going 1-1 and smoking the tires off the line at the track, if i does thats a pus:D

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

If you are sure that the clutch is slipping, then I'd go to a dual disc. That's a lot of horseys for a single disc.

EDIT: I just watched the video. That's a slipping clutch for sure. Kinda seems as though the clutch is partly disengaged... may be something wrong with the set-up or the linkage??

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. dizzydale

dizzydale

Hey John,I have a 56 Chevy with a single dominator on pump gas dynoed at 800 hp with a 4 speed Jeffco and a Ram 2 disc.It's goin on the road next week,it will be a street and once in a while strip car.Call Ram,i am sure they will recommend a 2 disc.Are you sure your throwout bearing is letting the fingers release totally??diz

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'd also look into the adjustment there. That Hayes 6 finger is one hell of a clutch and it shouldn't be slipping that much in such a light weight car as yours.

5. John T.

John T.

I agree on it shouldn't bee slipping that much. I have about 1/4 inch for the finger to move out. I had good clutch guys come over and say it is all adjusted right.

I'm goin crazy!!!!

Last time I had it apart and frshened it all up it worked for about 5 good street burnouts and maybe 5 miles then just fell off. It had maybe 100 miles when I took it apart you can tell the clutch is slipping and there is .30 off the disc.

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

John, I don't have that kind of power or that clutch, so this is all just a guess.

You want something that is not a race on/off clutch for the street and also has enough clamping force to handle that power. Don't forget a human level pedal pressure and throw. Add it all up and any single is going to miss on a couple key points.
    I'd suggest looking into dual or maybe even a triple (made for Cummins) disc clutch.

7. 69fury

69fury

That's some serious slip for all that static pressure- Even though you had a qualified eye look it over, i would bet something's binding up when you put the spurs to her.

To be honest, i would suggest switching to a Ram sintered iron disc.

rick

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Hmmmm..... That's interesting...
    I wonder if your flywheel might be the cause? Maybe a materials defect when it was manufactured? Maybe it's not hard enough/tempered properly?

Maybe your flywheel is not compatable with a disc that hard, and it's glazing it.

I'm just shooting from the hip... If it works for a short while after you re-surface it, and then falls off, that doesn't sound like an ajustment issue to me...

9. John T.

John T.

I'm starting to agree, but... I'm getting the motor back tomorrow. I'm gonna use what I have left on the disc just to have some fun this year. This winter I need to figure this out.

I did add a ton more wieght, put another 120 pounds in the static pressure ontop of adujsting for what I wore off the disc. I'll double check that my clutch fingers aren't coming within .25" of the throw out bearing and cross my fingers. There's some dude running in the area with a bare metal 34 truck I wanna pull up next too.:eek:

10. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I would give McLeod a call, they will steer you in the right direction!

11. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

Aren't you running an adjustable sintered iron disk now? It sure acts like one in the video.
    After watching the burnout video, you have smoked the clutch pretty bad during the burnout. The proper way to do a burnout with an iron clutch is to set the linelock, wind up the motor to at least 6k, and dump the clutch as fast as you can get your foot off of the pedal. The car should be launched the same way. I would check the pressure plate with a straight edge, and would bet that is is severely warped. If you try to slip an iron clutch out of the hole, you will destroy it in a couple of runs.
    I have run tuneups in my car with a blown alcohol sbc up to 1100 hp with a McLeod soft lok iron clutch with a 5 speed Lenco. The disks last me at least two seasons.
    I leave the starting line in my car anywhere from 6k -6500 rpm depending on the tuneup. Check out the video in my sig.
    I run the static pressure anywhere from 1200-1400# with 12g counter weight on each finger.
    Best of luck.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now think about this. I remember a certain M/P 59 vette, 3600 lb, 35 lb flywheel, 5spd 6.50 gear 14x32 tire and a single disc Ram three pad clutch. If you slipped the clutch on the burnout, you were DONE. You just glazed the whole shootin match. You have to get off that clutch quick. And I mean off the pedal, no riding it at all. Once you glazed that particular clutch, zip bam game over. But if you drove it like ya stole it, front wheels would show daylight in the first four gears. That was a heavy car leaving over 9,000 rpm. :) I think you better get someone to look at that clutch also. JMO. Lippy

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

would be simpler to add another disc and a floater rather that fighting this single so much.

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Have you talked to the manufacturer? Lippy

15. John T.

John T.

MFG. hasn't been much help, The car was revvin when I dropped the clutch ( no trying to slip) for the burnout, same with the lauch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LHLi26Jxck

Doesn't look to be slipping in it but has got to be?? That was a 1.59 60 foot. I''m thinking the Ram dual is the way to go once winter gets here. I got the motor back this morning and have it about ready to fire, hopefully by noon tomorrow.

THNAKS FOR THE INFO & COMMENTS GUYS!!!!!

16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The car looks great, and I love 42.... Anyways, If you are pushin a grand in the hp dept your 60 ft will be under 1.0. I recomend calling Ultra Tech Race Cars in Streetsboro, he does alot with clutches. Chris has put together triple discs ect....Just an FYI instead of the expensive crap shoot.

17. 69fury

69fury

yeah, definitely slipping on the hit, but she's getting up on the tire pretty quick, so it's not a total pooch screw. I dont know that you'll need to radically change your setup, as much as finding the binding...-if there's no binding to be found, play with the counterweights a bit.
    LOVE the car by the way! good luck!

18. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

"There's some dude running in the area with a bare metal 34 truck I wanna pull up next too."

What's a matter John, you didn't want to fire it at 1 in the morning? You must be getting old!:) It's 9:30 let's see some video.

I won't worry too much about that guy in that old pickup. I heard that it's just pump gas daily driver.:eek:

19. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

Thrasher... damn!

John t. i agree with most and if you want to street drive it but still get the grab i would go with a dual or 3 disc clutch.

20. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

With that much power a 3 disk is the way to go, a 2 disk would be boarderline.

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Call Bob Brooks at AFT Clutch Management Systems.

Great guy, and knows as much or more about clutches than anyone!

22. John T.

John T.

Mat, I thought mine was slipping sounds like yours is too? I hear a lot of noise but the thing ain't moving? Did the muffler fall off? Maybe you'd be best trying a Midas Muffler shop?:eek: Not bad for a field car though, Middlefield that is.:D

Can 3 disc's be run on the street? Anyone here doing it?

I got it running today but and she sounds good but I got pipe thread for the oil filter instead of AN, didn't realize this till it was together and leaking... :rolleyes:

I'll head to Summit tomorrow for the rihght fittings and get this thing on the street. Anxious to see how the clutch acts with the new "tune".